Asking for a military discount?

7,162 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ08
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it...

1. Tacky
2. Acceptable
3. Acceptable only for 11B's and 42A's?
Humorous Username
AG
Tacky at restaurants. Acceptable at model train shops.
GarryowenAg
AG
I ask about it when I make large purchases (guns, furniture, etc).
GAC06
AG
Tacky.

But I do like free checked bags
OregonAggie
AG
I think talking **** to someone because they won't give you one is tacky.
marble rye
AG
Tacky to bring up at all. Not tacky to utilize it if the restaurant offers.
Ragoo
AG
What is tacky about asking if someone offers a military discount for active duty?

Tacky for 70 year old man to ask because 'nam.
I Play With Guns
S
I don't understand what is tacky about asking for a military discount if you are in the military.
Joe Exotic
AG
I don't mind asking at chains. Avoid it at mom and pops.
hunterntexas
AG
I have Veteran on my drivers license.
I ask all the time. I use it at Home Depot for 10% off all purchases.
I use it at Freddy's for 10% off fast food.

I served. You could have as well.
Joe Exotic
AG
Home Depot is a must always. Saved like $200 on a riding mower.
george92
Me either. Or former military for that matter. Rudy's, whose bbq sucks for the most part, practically hits you over the head asking if you were current or former military for their discount. Heck its one of the few benefits of going into that profession besides getting shot at by jihadis.
marble rye
AG
Bc one chooses to enlist.
hunterntexas
AG
I have a friend that makes sure to ask everywhere.
He's still active and a recruiter.

He embarrassed my sister asking at Sonic.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If offered I don't have a problem with it. I take advantage of first responder discounts when I know they're available. I think asking is tacky.

I think asking out worse begging/arguing belittles the service. I'm not a volunteer firefighter so I save money at the hardware store.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
I've seen veterans make a stink at liquor stores because they didn't get free bottles. That's tacky as s***.

If the store is known for it then it isn't tacky.
hillcountryag86
AG
In retail and I've had people get really ****ty when they ask and I reply we don't offer. They try to give the guilt trip by saying we owe them that discount.

There are those that politely ask and accept the answer. Unfortunately, they are the minority.

I don't owe a discount.
BostonAg74
I've reached the age where discounts are available that were not available just a couple of years ago. I never ask for the discount. I just politely ask what discounts are available. I accept whatever answer they give me, and no one gets embarrassed. I would assume that the same approach would work with military discounts. If you are entitled to a discount, you should take it, but if the retailer has no policy for discounts, shaming them into giving you one is tacky.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Is it...

1. Tacky
2. Acceptable
3. Acceptable only for 11B's
UndergroundAg
quote:
In retail and I've had people get really ****ty when they ask and I reply we don't offer. They try to give the guilt trip by saying we owe them that discount.

There are those that politely ask and accept the answer. Unfortunately, they are the minority.

I don't owe a discount.

Why don't you offer the discount? What type of store do you manage, Be patriotic!
Pirate04
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it...

1. Tacky
2. Acceptable

Window lickers
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it...

1. Tacky
2. Acceptable

I had an infantry drill sergeant once tell me that the two most important MOS's in the army were 68W's and 42A's. "The 68W will save your life but the 42A will make sure you get paid".
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
I have Veteran on my drivers license.
I ask all the time. I use it at Home Depot for 10% off all purchases.
I use it at Freddy's for 10% off fast food.

I served. You could have as well.

What if I didn't serve, but I identify as a Vietnam vet? The Democrats will support me because I identify that way, right?
hunterntexas
AG
That would be stolen valor and is much tackier than asking for a discount.
Humorous Username
AG
62strat
AG
quote:
Home Depot is a must always. Saved like $200 on a riding mower.
you can buy a 10% off coupon on eBay for like $2 anytime.
Joe Exotic
AG
Awesome. The HD here gives me the military discount on top of coupons and promotions
hunterntexas
AG
I read your jest. I thought my answer was as funny.

Otherwise I would have cussed you for trying such a thing.
Sapper Redux
quote:
Is it...

1. Tacky
2. Acceptable
3. Acceptable only for 11B's and 42A's?

Any 11B who can walk outside and remember pants and a wallet deserves some kind of prize.
jopatura
AG
You can always ask for a military discount, but you have to be polite about it. If they tell you no, accept that answer.

When I worked in retail, some people would get really ugly about it when we said no. It was for a big box store and they just didn't want to mess with various discounts that were basically at the discretion of local general managers.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
That would be stolen valor and is much tackier than asking for a discount.

What if he just asked if they had a discount but never said he was a veteran?
HeadGames
AG
Use it dude. You earned it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
My brother gets Oakley's and other **** for something like 1/2 off through the PX as well as a bunch of other discounts. Whenever I go to Home Depot, he goes with me and pays. I give him cash and he gets a ****load of SWA points for using his card. It's a win-win. Except for HD.
Eliminatus
AG
I will sometimes for online transactions if I remember. I have never asked in person. I didn't even know there was a discount at Home depot. I am a veteran but I am also a civilian. I tend to choose being a civilian over veteran. I did serve but it was my honor to do so and my personal choice and leave it at that. America owes me nothing. Actually, one of my pet peeves is to see veteran blowhards in public. We all know the type. I despise it and have even spoken up and intervened a couple of times when events were getting tense. I actually don't get along with a lot of veterans and do not associate with most or the vet groups.

The only times I can think I have purposely leaned on my past is getting into TAMU, purple heart plates on my vehicle(for free registration and free parking at most Texas airports and public parks), and free processing on my initial CHL. And if I ever make the time to actually go hunting I can get a hunting license fee waived. Will probably do that.

Oh and yes. 11-series should always be allowed. Why would anyone else even try to compare? Mind-boggling. Even if they ARE Army nasty-bodies.
falcon09
AG
My wife makes sure to ask anywhere we go and I ask when I remember.

We also make sure to be polite about it and never argue if they say no. Why not accept a break when someone is willing to give it to you?

On another note, an 11B in the Army must be quite a bit different than an 11B in the Air Force (Bomber Pilot).
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.