My teen boys are blind to rape culture

23,643 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aeon-ag
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
"Oh boy," my son said, rolling his eyes. "Not rape culture again."

We were sitting around the dinner table talking about the news. As soon as I mentioned the Stanford sexual assault case, my sons looked at each other. They knew what was coming. They've been listening to me talk about consent, misogyny and rape culture since they were tweens. They listened to me then, but they are 16 and 18 now and they roll their eyes and argue when I talk to them about sexism and misogyny.

"There's no such thing as rape culture," my other son said. "You say everything is about rape culture or sexism."

I never imagined I would raise boys who would become men like these. Men who deny rape culture, or who turn a blind eye to sexism. Men who tell me I'm being too sensitive or that I don't understand what teenage boys are like. "You don't speak out about this stuff, mom," they tell me with a sigh. "It's just not what teenagers do."

My sons are right about that much. Teenage boys, by and large, don't speak out about ****-shaming or rape culture. They don't call each other out when they make sexist jokes or objectify women. It's too uncomfortable to separate themselves from the pack so they continue to at least dip their toes into toxic masculinity. In their discomfort with action, they remain passive, and their passivity perpetuates the same broken system that sentenced Brock Turner to only six months in jail

quote:
When I first talked to my sons about enthusiastic consent, they laughed at me. "No one is going to ask a girl before having sex with her," they said. It's too awkward and uncomfortable. Besides, they reassured me, you can tell whether a girl is consenting without having to ask her. But then one of my sons texted his sexually active friend to ask him whether he got consent from his girlfriend before they had sex. His friend quickly replied that he had to "encourage" her to do it a lot before she finally agreed.

My son didn't call out his friend. He didn't remind him that lack of enthusiastic consent means there is no consent. He didn't say a word to him about consent at all, other than to ask the initial question, and that inaction hung heavy in the room between us. My sons, who are good boys and who know all about consent, do not speak out about consent. Not when it's uncomfortable. Not when it might jeopardize their social standing. My sons who hate hearing about their own privilege nestle inside it like a blanket and accuse me of making up its existence

quote:
who isn't with us is against us. Particularly, and especially, men. Even my own sons even yours. It's not enough to teach our sons about consent; we have to encourage them to have the courage to speak out against rape culture, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2016/09/14/its-not-enough-to-teach-our-teen-sons-about-consent/

Sorry, thought this was the PB
marble rye
AG
Sooo, schollied swimmers headed to Stanford?
chipotle
The Collective
AG
quote:
His friend quickly replied that he had to "encourage" her to do it a lot before she finally agreed

Looks like most married men's homes are also part of the rape culture too.
EFE
AG
"Hey mom, it's not our fault you turned into a raving c**t and dad walked out on you, shut up and pass the peas"
MouthBQ98
AG
He wasn't freaking there! How would he know exactly what happened between his friend and his friend's girlfriend, because all he has is a verbal second hand account from the friend to go on. WTF lady?

Yeah, there are aggressive pushy full pressure type dudes out there that talk girls into sex. Lots of them. That's simply reality. A girl's either going to agree / consent with actions or words, or the dude's going to go without if she doesn't, or make himself a rapist. Yeah, it happens, and it sucks, but there's no culture built around if other than a general increase in social acceptability of sexual promiscuity by both sexes, that's not a rape culture. Men have been wanting sex since men existed.

Men DO objectify women to some degree, even women they are deeply in love with. Males are biologically hard wired to do that. It keeps the species from going extinct.
TheMasterplan
Sons are smart enough to want concrete evidence and data instead of emotional, baseless drivel from someone who doesn't even understand men.

She also doesn't seem to give a **** about her kids. It's all about her.
The Collective
AG
So, these kids have already written their mom off as crazy. It seems that her daily rants have done her a lot of good. Now, who is left to do the real parenting of these boys?
62strat
AG
I'm white and live in a predominantly white area, so my kids most likely will never be exposed to rap culture either.
redd38
AG
The mom is probably pissed that her sons both identify as male despite trying to force other genders upon them.
GoneGirl
AG
I try to bring my boys up to be respectful and considerate of others. I want them to understand that sex needs to be consensual, and that they are sure of what they're doing. For their protection.

I want them to understand that "no" means "no" and "stop it" means exactly that, no matter who they're dealing with. When you have your brother in a head lock and he says "stop it," let him go.

Respect boundaries and personal space - whether it's a girl, your brother, me (quit hanging on me!) or the dog (don't blame me if he bites your face off).

We talk about recent college campus rape cases and discuss how disappointed I am in some of the (non) sentences that have come out recently.

We discuss that rape is about violence and control - not about sex. Sex is the weapon, much like a shooting is about violence, not guns. The gun is the weapon used. Both guns and sex are good things when used properly.

That being said, that post is so counter productive and idiotic, I want to slap that woman for screwing up those poor kids heads.

swimmerbabe11
I think her intent is good but her delivery is not great.
OnlyForNow
AG
I would hope that parents tell their boys, that they shouldn't force girls to have sex. and that both parties should WANT to do it.

That's the underlying tone of the message, but HORRIBLE delivery.

bodaciousbood14
AG
I bet if OP had two little girls she wouldn't be telling them the same thing. Just because it is more publicized doesn't make it the only type of rape occurring. That street runs both ways.
swimmerbabe11
Quite frankly, I think the enthusiastic consent is a fantastic rebranding of the "no means no" tagline.
EFE
AG
So what if a chick is enthusiastic about a bloJ but dead fishes teh sex?
chipotle
Fathers, warn your sons about chicks who change their mind after sex.
BombayAg
quote:
I want them to understand that "no" means "no" and "stop it" means exactly that, no matter who they're dealing with. When you have your brother in a head lock and he says "stop it," let him go.

What if your girlfriend says "ohh stop it... *giggle*" and turns her neck to you to kiss without saying another word?

Women do that a lot. Giving mixed signals. It's part of the mating dance. No many times means No, but not always. If you make a move on your girl and she says no and you say "Ok, cool nooooo problemoooooo" and go back to doing something else, she would lose respect and complain to her friends that you aren't trying hard enough and maybe you aren't man enough to go woo and get a woman.

It's so hard to be a man in today's world. The odds are stacked against us.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Women suck sometimes. Not in the good way, either.
Dr. Nefario
This conversation makes me question everything I learned in my frat, I Felta Thi...
ballchain
swimmerbabe11
No.
swimmerbabe11
no. stop it. don't ever give anyone advice ever.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
No many times means No, but not always. If you make a move on your girl and she says no and you say "Ok, cool nooooo problemoooooo" and go back to doing something else, she would lose respect and complain to her friends that you aren't trying hard enough and maybe you aren't man enough to go woo and get a woman.

This sounds like you rationalizing why you're a creepjob.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Sometimes they'll say no, but if you get them drunk enough, remain persistent and wear down their defenses they'll eventually let you.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:

What if your girlfriend says "ohh stop it... *giggle*" and turns her neck to you to kiss without saying another word?

Women do that a lot. Giving mixed signals. It's part of the mating dance. No many times means No, but not always. If you make a move on your girl and she says no and you say "Ok, cool nooooo problemoooooo" and go back to doing something else, she would lose respect and complain to her friends that you aren't trying hard enough and maybe you aren't man enough to go woo and get a woman.

It's so hard to be a man in today's world. The odds are stacked against us.
Then stop and ask her if that's what she really wants.

Want to know how to not to be in situations where things are out of your control? Don't loose your self control.

It's the same with alcohol. Drinking is fine, but stop before you lose control.

Is it always going to happen? No. Self-control is learned through experience. But it's the goal you strive for.

It is hard to be a man in today's world. But no harder than being a woman has ever been. Life is tough all over, so get over the pity party. I try to teach them that their actions should not be of the lowest common denominator.

mhayden
quote:
Quite frankly, I think the enthusiastic consent is a fantastic rebranding of the "no means no" tagline.

Strongly disagree.

"No means no" is perfect. It makes it very clear that if any kind of "no" is uttered by a woman, that the million other things that might be sending you mixed signal don't matter -- the answer is no and you are proceeding at your own risk (read: you don't have consent).

"Enthusiastic consent" is so ridiculous and just muddles the message. Now if a female says "yes", she still might mean no -- it's up to the male to decipher if it was an "enthusiastic yes" or not? Yeah, with the clear signals women give outside the bedroom and the accuracy at which men can decipher them, I'm sure that will make everything crystal clear.

No means no. An unenthusiastic yes is still a yes... Now, the hope is a good guy would take it to mean that the girl really isn't ready for that step and we should applaud those gentlemen -- but that doesn't absolve the female from personal responsibility and suddenly cast that responsibility on the male.
B-1 83
AG
They can't help it. Hormones. You just have to live with it 30 days a month.
swimmerbabe11
The problem is that "no means no" became a joke.
"no means try again" became acceptable.

Four Thin Inches' post above is (hopefully) said in jest, but is a real mindset in a lot of young people's minds. In reality, two people deciding to have sex should be a conscious, discussed decision, so that everyone is on the same page about all the possible consequences and whatnot

If I had kids, I would try to teach them that hooking up while drunk is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
atag
AG
Wasn't there some poster on here freaking out about accidentally taking some girls virginity??
chipotle
quote:
Wasn't there some poster on here freaking out about accidentally taking some girls virginity??
I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
quote:

Strongly disagree.

"No means no" is perfect. It makes it very clear that if any kind of "no" is uttered by a woman, that the million other things that might be sending you mixed signal don't matter -- the answer is no and you are proceeding at your own risk (read: you don't have consent).

"Enthusiastic consent" is so ridiculous and just muddles the message. Now if a female says "yes", she still might mean no -- it's up to the male to decipher if it was an "enthusiastic yes" or not? Yeah, with the clear signals women give outside the bedroom and the accuracy at which men can decipher them, I'm sure that will make everything crystal clear.

No means no. An unenthusiastic yes is still a yes... Now, the hope is a good guy would take it to mean that the girl really isn't ready for that step and we should applaud those gentlemen -- but that doesn't absolve the female from personal responsibility and suddenly cast that responsibility on the male.

I agree. I really dislike the enthusiastic consent line. Feels like you might as well just have a notarized form ready to get approval before doing the deed.
mhayden
quote:
The problem is that "no means no" became a joke.
"no means try again" became acceptable.

Four Thin Inches' post above is (hopefully) said in jest, but is a real mindset in a lot of young people's minds.

If I had kids, I would try to teach them that hooking up while drunk is just as dangerous as drunk driving.

I don't disagree, but making the message up to someone's interpretation certainly isn't going to help.

If you can't trust males that a woman saying "no" doesn't actually mean no, then why on earth would think trusting males to make their own judgement on whether a "yes" is enthusiastic is a good idea?

Are we really at a point in our society where we can't give a simple yes or no answer?
EFE
AG
I have some forms for you to fill out when you get a chance...
swimmerbabe11
People actually considering sex to be something important and thinking about the consequences of sex is a great thing.

Anything you can do to reinforce that sex is a bigger deal than deciding where to eat for dinner is a good thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.