This is illegal right? - Drivers Ed

6,443 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Abraham Simpson
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My kids online drivers ed course says it's legal to pass on the right in Texas. I call BS.

Sorry for the blurry picture. What say you Texags?
george92
It's always best to guess b or d.
Jill
AG
Sec. 545.057. PASSING TO THE RIGHT. (a) An operator may pass to the right of another vehicle only if conditions permit safely passing to the right and:
(1) the vehicle being passed is making or about to make a left turn; and
(2) the operator is:
(A) on a highway having unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles and sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction; or
(B) on a one-way street or on a roadway having traffic restricted to one direction of movement and the roadway is free from obstructions and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
(b) An operator may not pass to the right by leaving the main traveled portion of a roadway except as provided by Section 545.058.

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.
(b) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the left of the main traveled portion of a divided or limited-access or controlled-access highway if that operation may be done safely, but only:
(1) to slow or stop when the vehicle is disabled and traffic or other circumstances prohibit the safe movement of the vehicle to the shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of the roadway;
(2) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
(3) to avoid a collision.
(c) A limitation in this section on driving on an improved shoulder does not apply to:
(1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;
(2) a police patrol; or
(3) a bicycle.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm
Slicer97
AG
I don't think legality should enter in to it. Unless the car to be passed is stopped or slowing to make a left turn, passing on the right is pretty f'n stupid and if you wreck your vehicle doing it, you got what your dumbass deserved.
TexasAggiesWin
S
I'm more concerned about the following advice, "If you are driving at the speed limit and another driver sounds his horn and starts to pass, you should slow down and allow the drive to pass. This is not the time for a racing challenge!"

I call BS
boboguitar
AG
quote:
I'm more concerned about the following advice, "If you are driving at the speed limit and another driver sounds his horn and starts to pass, you should slow down and allow the drive to pass. This is not the time for a racing challenge!"

I call BS

Then why did I buy a car with a v8? Sounds like the perfect time for a racing challenge.
Silvy
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I don't think legality should enter in to it. Unless the car to be passed is stopped or slowing to make a left turn, passing on the right is pretty f'n stupid and if you wreck your vehicle doing it, you got what your dumbass deserved.

Didn't someone have a thread a while back complaining about getting in a wreck while passing on the right shoulder?
Gateman
AG
First section in your pic should have added the note about passing a vehicle slowing or stopped to make a left turn. Second section should have clarified that they are now talking about passing on the left.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
What about rubbing one out while driving? Illegal or just frowned upon?
Cromagnum
AG
What about when you are in the right lane and a dumbass goes to pass you on the left and then sideswipes you off the road when they catch up to you? Bonus points for fleeing the scene leaving your vehicle disabled on the side of the road.
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
What about rubbing one out while driving? Illegal or just frowned upon?

Also, is roadhead illegal? Asking for a friend.
Waffledynamics
AG
Am I the only one who has never had a problem passing idiot drivers on the right? What's the big deal?
FriendlyAg
The only reason we pass on the right is because there are too many people who think that the far left lane is the cruising lane, where you just put on cruise control 3 miles below the speed limit and pull out your cell phone. If you are in the left lane and going the same speed as the people to the right of you, it is your responsibility to move over so the rest of us don't have to navigate around your slow ass in the PASSING lane.
Slicer97
AG
I think the OP is taking about passing someone on the right on a 2 lane highway (using the shoulder), not passing dumbasses that don't understand or care that they should be in the right lane.
FriendlyAg
Oh, gotcha.

I would never do that.
Mr.Ackar07
wbt5845
AG
Back to the OP

Yes, it is legal in Texas. Surprised me too when my kids were taking drivers ed.
MouthBQ98
AG
I had been told it, but learned it for sure when it was covered in the defensive driving I had to take back in 2003.
JSKolache
AG
Only on two-lane road when car in front is turning left & slowing down or waiting for traffic to clear. Maybe it's a country thing, what'd they teach you city boys?
MooreTrucker
AG
I knew that it is legal. I also know that it's pretty stupid.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Back to the OP

Yes, it is legal in Texas. Surprised me too when my kids were taking drivers ed.
Yes legal in those situations post above. Not just because you feel like passing on the right.
Kitten With A Whip
Passing in the right lane is one thing and legal.I'm not sure it is legal to pass on the right shoulder, as shown, unless that vehicle is stopped for traffic or slowing to turn.
Eliminatus
AG
Always been legal as far as I know. Also thought it was pretty dumb in 99% of cases.

ac04
if someone is holding up the left lane on the highway, i will pass the F out of them on the right.
Trident 88
AG
Sure, but if there's a line of cars in the left lane behind an ass hole who won't pass the caravan of semi trucks in the right lane, you're an ass hole if you drive up in the right lane and cut in line.
Furlock Bones
AG
hanging out in the left lane is illegal but **** tards do it 24/7.

there will be plenty on this site claiming "they are going to the speed limit or 5 above. no one needs to go faster."
ac04
so be it. i'm not puss yfooting around on the highway to assuage people's sensitive feelings about how passing should work.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Didn't we discuss this not too long ago? Some idiot tried to go around someone to turn right into a parking lot or something, got into a wreck, and then got dogpiled here when he complained about the other driver?
Slicer97
AG
quote:
if someone is holding up the left lane on the highway, i will pass the F out of them on the right.
we're talking about 2 lane highways, not 4

but yeah, people who drive in the passing lane at any speed just to be driving there deserve to have an entire bottle of capsaicin extract poured down their underpants
Gateman
AG
You youngsters that travel to CS via Hwy 6 don't know how good you have it. Back in my day, whether you were coming from North or South, there were lots of miles of 1-lane plus shoulder in each direction and thus lots of passing on the right for cars turning left and lots of dangerous passing into opposing traffic for slow cars.
Slicer97
AG
Do you still wear an onion on your belt?
Abraham Simpson
quote:
Do you still wear an onion on your belt?
A big yellow one. You couldn't get white onions because of the war. It was the style at the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.