Hot air balloon crash in central Texas

10,360 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MSCAg
Sweet Clementine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All 16 on board are dead, according to reports.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hot-air-balloon-carrying-16-people-crashes-texas-41015210
Swarely
T&Ps
I Play With Guns
S
Why were SIXTEEEN people in one hot air balloon??
Sweet Clementine
AG
Apparently they make them big enough to hold up.to 24 people.
Matsui
AG
From lockhart
The Fall Guy
AG
I live down the road from this. So many sirens.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Crap. It caught fire. What a terrifying way to go.
The Fall Guy
AG
Actually in Maxwell
bmc13
TyHolden
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I still don't understand how Hot Air Balloon carriers are legitimate businesses if part of their business model is to trespass on private property. How is that legal? Are they licensed by the state?
Ag_EE
CaddoAggie96
AG
I'm not claustrophobic but being trapped in a basket under a giant balloon doesn't sound fun to me.

SeattleAgJr
quote:
I still don't understand how Hot Air Balloon carriers are legitimate businesses if part of their business model is to trespass on private property. How is that legal? Are they licensed by the state?
Regulated by the FAA, but subject to local laws regarding take offs and landings.

Most balloon operators assume that they do not have permission to come and go as they please. Many of the places they land, they have prior permission. They try to maneuver the balloon to these landing spots; sometimes they are unable to do so. The chase crew will always attempt to get to the landing site first to obtain permission. Since a balloon cannot hover or stop (unless it is on the ground), they typically land first and ask permission after the fact if the chase crew cannot get there in time. If no one is home, they will fly on if conditions permit. When the winds pick up, the balloon must be deflated immediately upon landing. This leaves no option but to land where they are. If they cannot locate the landowner, they look for neighbors to speak to and leave a note. Landing without permission is something they do not like to do - it is a last resort that is done only if they have no other choice.

FAR 91.3(a) gives the pilot the authority to determine that landing is necessary, and to select the location, insofar as is possible:

"The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible
for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft."

SeattleAgJr
quote:
I'm not claustrophobic but being trapped in a basket under a giant balloon doesn't sound fun to me.

It is not claustrophobic at all.

If anything, it is agoraphobic (?).
HollywoodBQ
AG
I had no idea you could put more than 4 people in a balloon. Watching CNN in the hotel with no sound, they keep showing a map of Texas to illustrate where Lockhart is.
FriendlyAg
quote:
Why were SIXTEEEN people in one hot air balloon??

Why are 300 people in allowed in a metal air bird?
Tobias Funke
AG
I rode a hot air balloon in Kenya that held 20+. Those baskets are a lot bigger than you think.

And yes, take-off/landing is scary as hell
Goose83
AG
Power lines yet again.

T&P.
PJFry07
AG
I might know someone who was involved.. Everyone is trying to get a hold of them right now
Holly Golightly
AG
I rode in hot air balloon 2 years ago and it was one of the most amazing experiences if my life

Over a mile high in the sky, above the clouds, in nothing but a basket.

My heart aches for the families of those killed
Holly Golightly
AG
LupinusTexensis
I'm taking my mom to Colorado this year for her birthday. I spent $500 yesterday in non refundable money to go on a hot airbaloon ride with me. She sent me link to this and said there's no way in hell she's getting in that basket.
bmc13
dds08
AG
I would ride with a parachute.

Maybe...LOL
I Play With Guns
S
That's so dumb.

Guess your mom shouldn't drive/ride in a car or fly on an airplane either.

*eyeroll*
I Play With Guns
S
My boyfriend and I are going to Cappadocia (as soon as the drama in Turkey settles down) to stay in the cave hotels and ride the hot air balloons.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
LupinusTexensis
That's exactly why I got her the hot air balloon ride. She always said she wanted to do that in Turkey, but I won't be going back there any time soon. I have one month to change her mind. Her sister is a lawyer that has repped families that have had people die in hot air balloon crashes and whipped her in a frenzy about how they're uncontrollable death traps.
Gateman
AG
quote:
I'm taking my mom to Colorado this year for her birthday. I spent $500 yesterday in non refundable money to go on a hot airbaloon ride with me. She sent me link to this and said there's no way in hell she's getting in that basket.
Hot air ballooning in Colorado where temps are generally less than Texas summer heat requires much less hot air in the balloon to provide the lift and thus is probably safer. That being said, I did it in Colorado Springs a few years back and wind changed on us and we almost came down in a grocery store parking lot wiyh lots of light poles. At last minute pilot gave it some more heat and we made it to a school playground.
I Play With Guns
S
Everything is a death trap
Goose83
AG
quote:
Personally, I prefer that my death traps have seat belts, air bags, and a steering wheel so that I can control where I'm going.

After all, when was the last time you heard a news report of a car being blown into power lines?
wangus12
AG
GF's sister apparently might know several of the victims. No one has been able to contact them in the last several hours
FriendlyAg
quote:

That's so freaking dumb. There are so many ways to die in life and most of the ways we are most scared are the least likely possible. Things we give no thought to on a daily basis are more likely to kill us.
FriendlyAg
quote:
quote:
Personally, I prefer that my death traps have seat belts, air bags, and a steering wheel so that I can control where I'm going.

After all, when was the last time you heard a news report of a car being blown into power lines?

That's dumb logic. You're assuming that you can control the drunk in an 18 wheeler who swerves into your lane at the last second going 75 mph in the opposite direction, killing you instantly.

Death trap. You get into one everyday. How about an elevator? What if it malfunctions and you go into a free fall? Doubt you take the stairs every day "just to be in control".

This sort of logic is what allows the terrorists to win.
I Play With Guns
S
Sometimes people are just going to be incredibly dumb over the dumbest ***** It's comical! And so sad they let their lives be dictated so easily.

I'm going to Europe in a few weeks. I shouldn't go bc of airplane crashes and terrorism. Aaahhhhhh I'M SCARED. I'M GONNA STAY AT HOME MY ENTIRE LIFE AND NEVER TRAVEL.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.