Where do you buy your steak?

6,285 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CrawfordAg
DropDemNuggetz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If purchasing from a grocery store/market, where do you typically buy steaks from?
FW Declerk
Best steak I ever had I grilled in my backyard
chipotle
The heb...sometimes walmart has a decent choice selection (but that's rare).
Joe Exotic
AG
Usually whoever has the best deal. Albertsons has bone in choice ribeyes for $5.99 today so I'm grabbing a few tonight. Commissary in Fort Worth JRB is a good choice too when I'm over there.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Brookshires
They will cut me a ribeye just right
Will also tenderize skirt steak
DropDemNuggetz
AG
I've heard good things about Costco, however don't have a membership (yet) as I just moved into an area where there is one close. I've done Central Market as well, which are good, just a little more expensive overall.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
HEB
Joe Exotic
AG
Costco is my go to play for brisket. Usually have prime packers in the $2.69 to $3.29 range.
Texmid
AG
The ribeye at Costco is hard to beat. They sell USDA prime for about $10 per pound. The steaks are well marbled and very good to eat.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
nevermind
aTm2004
AG
I wait until HEB has their Prime 1 ribeyes or NY strips on sale, and then go to the counter and get 2 to cook and 2 to vacuum seal for later.
haircut
AG
We butcher a cow and I recommend everyone do the same. Just go to your local meat locker.

My cousin recently turned some city coworkers onto the idea and they love it.
GigEmBevo
Tom Thumb or Whole Foods
unimboti nkum
AG
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
We butcher a cow and I recommend everyone do the same. Just go to your local meat locker.

Beef is so cheap right now it doesn't really save that much. Especially if you just want steaks.
Leeman
HEB Prime Ribeyes.
B-1 83
AG
Moody's Meat Market, Sam's (whole loins or ribeyes), and HEB Plus (for their Prime 1).
aTm2004
AG
quote:

Wife and I are looking at bigger houses, which a 3 car garage is one of my non-negotiable items. Once we get one, we've actually talked about getting a deep freezer and buying a whole or half cow.
chipotle
quote:
quote:

Wife and I are looking at bigger houses, which a 3 car garage is one of my non-negotiable items. Once we get one, we've actually talked about getting a deep freezer and buying a whole or half cow.

/mfbarnes
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

/mfbarnes
GoneGirl
AG
HEB - at the counter.

Put some of Fiesta's Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning on it and grill it. Better than 90% of the steaks you get in restaurants.
haircut
AG
I think y'all will really enjoy it!
Joe Exotic
AG
My 3rd garage bay is currently an N scale train layout with enough room for a riding mower
GoneGirl
AG
oh, look at me... I have a garage.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
My 3rd garage bay is currently an N scale train layout with enough room for a riding mower
Unfortunately, the neighborhoods we're looking at (because of schools) were all built in the mid-90's or earlier. The plus side is that garages were larger back then, so a 3rd bay will be large enough. Hell, my inlaw's 3 car garage could probably fit 5 cars. They have a 20ft boat in their 3rd bay, and even with the trailer tongue, there is still enough room behind it for a work bench.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Either at the counter at HEB or at Rosenthal
aTm2004
AG
quote:
I think y'all will really enjoy it!
We think we will as well. Some of our friends do it and they say it's really cut down their grocery bills. The only meat they buy now is pork when it's on sale and chicken.
thebloomer
AG
Whole cuts at Costco and cut my own. I've been to Pete's and other butchers. I think Costco is just as good and WAAAAY cheaper.
Human
AG
Dollar General
John Francis Donaghy
Central market if I'm cooking them properly.

Whatever grocery store is closest if theyre just going on the grill.
OregonAggie
AG
Costco or albertsons and I mainly buy ribeyes.

Run on Montreal steak seasoning. Marinate them in Worcestershire, soy sauce, minced garlic, and a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for at least a few hours.

Sear the outside, eat them suckers rare like a man, and graciously thank everyone when they tell you they're amazing steaks.
Human
AG
quote:
Costco or albertsons and I mainly buy ribeyes.

Run on Montreal steak seasoning. Marinate them in Worcestershire, soy sauce, minced garlic, and a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for at least a few hours.

Sear the outside, eat them suckers rare like a man, and graciously thank everyone when they tell you they're amazing steaks.

That's a great way to ruin a ribeye(the marinating)
Max Power
AG
Costco here as well. They have prime if you want it but their choice is good enough that I've never had any complaints so I tend to stick with it. And anything I'm not ready to cook I get some use out of my food saver and it goes in the deep freeze. There is a butcher shop near my home but the meat at Costco is better and at a better price. They also have whole briskets, or flats. They also have trimmed and whole pork belly.
GAC06
AG
Marinating steaks
OregonAggie
AG
I've found this recipe to be pretty damn good and it definitely doesn't ruin a steak. I'm normally a fan of simple seasoning on a steak but I've never had anyone complain when I've done this. In fact, I've never cooked them like this and gone without a lot of compliments.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.