Trip to Switzerland

6,354 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MaterialAg
atag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and my s.o. want to take a ski vacation to Switzerland for our honeymoon sometime early next year. We know very little and could use some recommendations. When is the best time to go? Would spring break have a effect like it does in Colorado? (E.g. a huge influx of tourists) or would that be minimal? Best deals found online or would it be worth it to get a travel agent? We are planning on saving around 10k...I assume that should be plenty right? Best resorts? Anything helps!
Vernada
AG
I have a Swiss friend that is a travel agent. Her family does a ski vacation every year. If you are serious I will send your contact info to her.
94DallasAG
AG
Oh look at me I have a passport
AggieBand2004
AG
If I could only re-visit one European city, it would be Interlaken.
We went in the summer so I didn't get to ski. And while Interlaken doesn't have its own mountain, it's easy to stay there and travel to some world class resorts like Zermatt and Grindlewald.

That would also mean you could to different resorts on different days, plus lots of non-skiing things in the city.
atag
AG
Absolutely vernada! We have been talking about this for 6 months or so and we figure it's about the time to start planning.
atag
AG
My email is Nlmathes@hotmail.com
atag
AG
We may stay in a resort for a couple of days...we want a ski in ski out type lodge...but we want to stay in the city for a few days too so we will look into that!
AggieBand2004
FTAggies
Lucerne is a must must must
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
Lucerne is a must must must
troof.

Also, ski Zermatt, Jungfrau, and Obersaxen. You don't have to stay in a resort (although it's awesome if you do).
The ski season is typically the first weekend after Thanksgiving thru early April. There is nothing like skiing and staying at a Swiss resort during the Christmas holidays. St. Moritz is bad ass, if you can afford it. The trains are equipped to carry skis. You can go from your hotel in Bern, or Zurich, or wherever, and hop a train to your skiing destination for a day trip, if that fits you wallet better than resort skiing.

PROTIP: Don't lose your passport
atag
AG
Great tips!! Christmas will be a no go because our baby will be too young (leaving her with grandma). We want to wait till she is at least 6 mos. We will look into Lucerne. We were thinking about St moritz.
atag
AG
Zermatt also sounded a bit up our alley. We are pretty much the definition of intermediate skiiers.
AggieBand2004
AG
Holy crap, I forgot about Lucerne! I was only 15, and I remember walking across the chapel bridge and watching fireworks at night.
Goodfield Nohit
Also, everything is pretty much 2x what it costs in America. For example, that $8 burger from Mighty Fine will cost you $16 in Switzerland.
shafter
AG
I spent a little bit of time traveling Europe and spent 3 days in Zurich. It was really nice, but it was literally 2-3 times more expensive than the rest of the countries we went to for equivalent atmosphere/scenery. I would have rather stayed in other countries a day or two longer and skipped it when it was all said and done.
Quailmeezy
AG
I'm actually in Interlaken right now. This place is amazing (but very expensive).

Going canyoning tomorrow and then hopefully going to conquer the via Ferrata on Monday.

Switzerland is beautiful and the people here have been extremely friendly. I would love to come back and ski sometime.

Oh and like everyone is saying. It is really expensive. Eating out literally costs twice as much as it does in the states (just paid $20 for pad Thai). I have found that there are some discount grocery stores that are pretty reasonable though.
atag
AG
Yeah we are expecting that but we usually do the grocery store thing to make breakfasts and lunches....can't wait for this trip!
Goodfield Nohit
Buy a Swiss Travel Pass. It's good for trains, boats, and buses. They are sold in 3,4,8, or 15 day packages. Learn to read the train and bus schedules well before you go. It will keeping you from wasting valuable time during your vacation.
wichoAggie06
This!!
george92
quote:
Great tips!! Christmas will be a no go because our baby will be too young (leaving her with grandma). We want to wait till she is at least 6 mos. We will look into Lucerne. We were thinking about St moritz.

You think your wife is going to leave her first child that is only 6 months old for a week or longer go to Europe? This is not going to happen.
Vernada
AG
I sent her your info.
MaterialAg
AG
Zermatt is the teets. Stayed at the Mazot. Awesome.
AggieBand2004
AG
quote:
quote:

You think your wife is going to leave her first child that is only 6 months old for a week or longer go to Europe? This is not going to happen.
You're right. Atag will definitely not have a wife willing to do such a thing.
george92
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right. Atag will definitely not have a wife willing to do such a thing.

She said SO and she's already knocked up. Whose to say she's not from the Island of Lesbos? It's 2016 man.
SanAntoneAg
AG
They make great cheese and army knives there.
Goodfield Nohit
go to the town of Gruyres. Eat some cheese.

bmc13
AG
atag is the chick...and I don't believe it's her first, either.

hth
atag
AG
Not my first and yes for our honeymoon I will take a week. This will be my first vacation without my 6 yo tho.. and probably my last without my girls.
CBarrett12
AG
2nd on Zermatt. Absolutely amazing place!
atag
AG
So update. We are now thinking about going the airbnb route. Never used it but heard great things. We are probably going to go ahead and book next week for February. Can not freaking wait.
AggieBand2004
Post removed:
by user
B-1 83
AG
I would like to visit Switzerland, but not in the winter. Snow is to be avoided and maybe looked at - not played in.
Caliber
AG
quote:
So update. We are now thinking about going the airbnb route. Never used it but heard great things. We are probably going to go ahead and book next week for February. Can not freaking wait.
We've used AirBnB all over Europe and it was fantastic. Beats the hell out of staying in hotels.
Claude!
Fun Claude! Fact: I almost fell off a mountain above Lucerne.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.