AmWay Pyramid Scheme

7,606 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by htownag10
Ozamataz Buckshank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently learned of a good number of aggies who are "employed" by AmWay.

Does anyone know anyone close to them who is in it?

What the fudge are they thinking?

What do they say about it?
Professor Frick
AG
Don't be ignorant, AmWay is NOT a so-called "Pyramid Scheme".

It is called Multi-level Marketing. If I really must explain this:

The structure of these levels are such that there is a wide base at the bottom, and tapers to the top. Imagine a triangle, but three-dimensional.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Awesome, it is time for the monthly "complain about people I know that are in a pyramid scheme" thread
riverrataggie
AG
sounds like something ID and Psychology majors get into.
Really???
It's Confederated Products... It's a different company. It's a different quality of product.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Awesome, it is time for the monthly "complain about people I know that are in a pyramid scheme" thread
Teachers have to do something with their time while they spend the next three months sponging off the government and not working.
swc93
AG
As long as both sides of your legs are even you will be doing great!

I have six people I can put under you ALL you have to do is find six other suckers, keep paying your membership dues to me and your 'business' will be humming right along.
Human
AG
My brother brings in $10K a month seling It Works!

He's only been doing it one year or so.

He plans to hit $15K/month by the end of the year and quit his real job. Somebody is buying that stuff.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I may have to consider this since my Confederated Slave Holdings shares tanked.
AgEng06
AG
in before The Office gif
VinnyTAMU
AG
quote:

The structure of these levels are such that there is a wide base at the bottom, and tapers to the top. Imagine a triangle, but three-dimensional.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:

Well played, sir! Bravo!!!
752bro4
AG
Thrive or La-Vel seems to be the newest one I've seen.
AgEng06
AG
Dave Bliss's daughter? Do I dare ask for Rule #1?

Bah, you edited.
mm98
AG
quote:
It's Confederated Products... It's a different company. It's a different quality of product.

I can't hear AmWay anymore without thinking of this.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
quote:

He plans to hit $15K/month by the end of the year and quit his real job. Somebody is buying that stuff.
Now we all know your brother is a liar.
Human
AG
quote:
quote:

Now we all know your brother is a liar.

No. You're a piece of sh:t.
haircut
AG
Wow! It really works!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

quote:
No. You're a piece of sh:t.

Drug dealing is pretty much the only MLM scheme that really works fast. Maybe you shouldn't be calling other people names.
Human
AG
Ah
Ok
Well I'm just making all this up
Never mind
Y'all caught me in a lie
Go on then
John Francis Donaghy
quote:

A major part of the scheme is convincing the salespeople to portray themselves as successful. More so than they actually are.

You don't grow your down line by telling the truth, the truth is you're paying a bunch of money to someone for the privilege of buying their crap and trying to sell it to other people.

You grow your down line by telling people how much money you're making, and driving a new Lexus instead of your old pos, and living the life that you, and your potential underlings, want to live.

It's all smoke and mirrors. If your brother has made any highly visible purchases of new luxury items recently, like a new car or an expensive watch, he likely levered the crap out of himself to buy it in order to convince new schmucks that his "business" is super profitable.

Give it a few years and hell admit that he got taken for a ride, and spent a lot of his savings trying to make it look like the scam was working.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:

If by "that stuff" you mean "how much he's making" and by "somebody" you mean "you", then yes, somebody is buying that stuff.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Considering it's the number 1 Direct Selling company in the entire free world and does over 10 billion a year in revenue it would seem to me that they are doing something right still after all these years of being a "scheme".
Gil Renard
AG
Companies aren't pyramid schemes?
malibu9in1
It's hard to be around those "pyramid" type people. Pushing stuff so far in yr face to purchase. Whatever happened to monavie juice. Damn those folks didn't quit.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
Whatever happened to monavie juice. Damn those folks didn't quit.

I'm guessing there was a street brawl with the Advocare folks and the latter were victorious.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
quote:

A major part of the scheme is convincing the salespeople to portray themselves as successful. More so than they actually are.

You don't grow your down line by telling the truth, the truth is you're paying a bunch of money to someone for the privilege of buying their crap and trying to sell it to other people.

You grow your down line by telling people how much money you're making, and driving a new Lexus instead of your old pos, and living the life that you, and your potential underlings, want to live.

It's all smoke and mirrors. If your brother has made any highly visible purchases of new luxury items recently, like a new car or an expensive watch, he likely levered the crap out of himself to buy it in order to convince new schmucks that his "business" is super profitable.

Give it a few years and hell admit that he got taken for a ride, and spent a lot of his savings trying to make it look like the scam was working.
This x100

Unfortunately I know an Aggie couple wrapped up in the AmWay bull****. They have dumped ridiculous amounts of time and money into their 'business' as they say. On Facebook they talk about how great they are doing and how wonderful AmWay is for them. They have a big house, two new cars, eat out most nights of the week and go on trips. In reality they are broke as a joke. They are spending everything they earn at their day jobs and some months more than that. They constantly post suspiciously large checks of how much they have supposedly earned selling AmWay. She confided in me that they and many others receive two checks at a time. One check is for taking pictures of and posting on Facebook to entice others to join their team or family as they sometimes refer to it as and then another check that is a small fraction of what they post online is for what they really earned.

I'd wager that Human's brother is doing the same thing. He most likely not making anything close to what he is claiming he makes.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:

10-15k/month is what a 30 year old with a degree from A&M should be making at a real job. HTH.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Unfortunately I know an Aggie couple wrapped up in the AmWay bull****. They have dumped ridiculous amounts of time and money into their 'business' as they say. On Facebook they talk about how great they are doing and how wonderful AmWay is for them. They have a big house, two new cars, eat out most nights of the week and go on trips. In reality they are broke as a joke. They are spending everything they earn at their day jobs and some months more than that. They constantly post suspiciously large checks of how much they have supposedly earned selling AmWay. She confided in me that they and many others receive two checks at a time. One check is for taking pictures of and posting on Facebook to entice others to join their team or family as they sometimes refer to it as and then another check that is a small fraction of what they post online is for what they really earned.

That's messed up, yo.
george92
quote:
Considering it's the number 1 Direct Selling company in the entire free world and does over 10 billion a year in revenue it would seem to me that they are doing something right still after all these years of being a "scheme".

There's a lot of suckers out there.
Al Bula
AG
To be successful at MLM pyramid schemes, you basically have to 1) project a wonderful fantasy life and 2) be OK with screwing people over who work under you.

If you subscribe to that whole Aggie Code of Honor thing, MLMs pretty much go against that.

On the other hand, selling MLM products is a great way to build personal sales skills. On the spectrum of "Shut Up and Take My Money" and "selling ice to an eskimo" MLM products are closer to the latter.
riverrataggie
AG
Didn't Frank Reynolds do this skit already?
george92
We have a close family friend that has been selling amway for at least 40 years likely more. So he should have a solid base under him now that he's at least 80. He loved to preach the benefits of this great company.

He's also the guy that could never afford to fix his car when it would break down. It would sit for months with a minor repair needed.

He still has the partially completed deck from 25 years ago sticking out the back of his house. Just needs a little cash to finish it.

His children have to spring for a hotel room for him on large family beach trips otherwise he wants to drive back to San Antonio to spend the night and drive back in the morning.

He's basically barely been making ends meet the whole time I've known him. Great, wonderful, generous guy, that will be chasing that amway dream until we put him in the ground.....in an amway casket.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
quote:

I'd wager that Human's brother is doing the same thing. He most likely not making anything close to what he is claiming he makes.
Wow. Just wow.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I've been involved for over 20 years. Not real active but I still get a check at least every quarter, sometimes monthly.

Amway is the oldest and most closely inspected of any "multi-level marketing" company out there. They have been proven time and again NOT to be an illegal pyramid "scheme". The fact that someone can out-earn the person that sponsored them proves this to be so.

Now, it's not as easy or quite the gravy-train as some would try to have you believe, but it is a legitimate business for people who are willing to be belittled and demeaned by ignorant people.

It really is just another form of franchising.

Of course, anyone who says that what they are offering is "Like Amway, but better because...." should be viewed with extreme skepticism.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.