Graduation Leis available near B/CS?

3,274 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aTm2004
oldyeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend of mine is graduating on Friday with her M.A., has been steeped in Hawaiian culture, and would be beyond thrilled to be presented with a graduation lei for the ceremony. The problem is that most florists in B/CS have no freaking idea what I'm talking about, the traditional flowers used (plumeria and orchid) are not plentiful in these parts, and getting one delivered from HI is impossible in time for the ceremony. Does anyone here have any ideas, e.g. a florist in the Woodlands that might be able to help out? I've been calling around, but no joy. Since this is TexAgs, and y'all "know stuff," I figured it was worth a shot to ask. Below is a reference image.

CrossBowAg99
AG
Did you just find out that she was graduating?

If you can't lei her then you should just lay her.
oldyeller
AG
Nope, but only today learned that gifting a lei for graduation is a big deal in Hawaii. Her folks just got in town, and have been frantically trying to figure out a solution. That's how I got involved.
Fairview
AG
This is a bit random and I'm not in B/CS but I saw an ad in the paper that Kroger had graduation leis. It said you have to order them in advance. No clue if one in B/CS would have them but may be worth a call.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Call every florist and tell them you're looking to get leid. Please report back with their reactions.
Bockaneer
AG
Michaels or Hobby Lobby will have the supplies to make a silk lei- just gotta get crafty.
wbt5845
AG
Seeing as someone who knew about the "graduation lei" concept tasked you with this less than 48 hours before the ceremony, I would reverse the task back to the person who knew about this more than 48 hour before the ceremony.

A lack of planning on their part should not constitute an emergency on yours.
Buck O Five
AG
A lack of planning for a purely emotional and artsy gift? Must be liberals.
Chazz03
AG
How long does the lei have to be.....I guess what I'm really asking is does she have big boobs
Ag 11
AG
Manti Ta'o
B-1 83
AG
I got layed on graduation day. It really makes you think.
80s Guy
quote:
A lack of planning on their part should not constitute an emergency on yours
Piss poor planning predicates piss poor performance
aggie4231
AG
You could try calling a place in HI and ask for overnight delivery. That's really your only option to Lei her.

Found this site http://www.hawaiiflowerlei.com/
Post removed:
by user
80s Guy
quote:
Dollar tree has leis
Look at your frugal ass with a frugal yet helpful comment!
oldyeller
AG
To be fair, they're from San Diego, haven't really visited here before, and this isn't an uncommon thing in San Diego either, so they didn't believe it would be difficult to find a florist with access to the materials. Appropriate blooms really are all that's necessary, stringing them doesn't appear difficult.
Post removed:
by user
agnerd
AG
quote:
Isn't it obvious he wants to use to lei to help him get layed? If she's hot enough and sane enough, that is an emergency.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Are you the boyfriend or something?
wbt5845
AG
quote:
To be fair, they're from San Diego, haven't really visited here before, and this isn't an uncommon thing in San Diego either, so they didn't believe it would be difficult to find a florist with access to the materials. Appropriate blooms really are all that's necessary, stringing them doesn't appear difficult.

I wouldn't expect to find Wolf Brand Chili in San Diego.
Salome
AG
Google "candy lei" and "money lei". They're more popular here on the west coast than the flower leis. Lots of Youtube how-tos. Get crafty.
Uncle Howdy
S
quote:

Why would they think that College Station would be similar to San Diego? Is it because of Josh Lambo?
nai06
AG
Call a Hawaiian restaurant and see if they can direct you to a place
True Anomaly
AG
quote:
quote:

I prefer "Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance"
True Anomaly
AG
Also, I think it's time for your "friend" to learn the harsh realities of life and not get everything she hopes for. It'll be better for her in the long run
I Am A Critic
Sounds like giving a lei at graduation the Hawaiian version of the participation trophy.
UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
If she's hot enough and sane enough, that is an emergency.

She's either smoking hot, or built like a defensive tackle. It must be the latter, otherwise OP would be on a flight to SD instead of asking on here.
JayAggie
AG
quote:
Seeing as someone who knew about the "graduation lei" concept tasked you with this less than 48 hours before the ceremony, I would reverse the task back to the person who knew about this more than 48 hour before the ceremony.

He is clearly trying to get leid. Let him go on his quest.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance

FIFY
Ghost91
quote:
today learned that gifting a lei for graduation is a big deal in Hawaii

I actually have the perfect answer/solution to your question, but unfortunately I have a hard rule about helping anyone who uses the word 'gift' as a verb. And actually, I have another hard rule that requires me to wish bodily harm upon anyone who uses the word 'gift' as a verb, so....I sincerely hope that you get hurt. But good luck finding the perfect solution place that I have in my head.
aTm2004
AG
Post her pic and somebody will offer a lay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.