So the cops showed up at my house

19,818 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bocephus
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Asked if I drive a 'color make model'.. I slowly said yeeeehhhhh. A driver called in and said I 'hit and run' his vehicle. That I changed lanes and cut him off and the right rear of my car hit his left front. Cops asked to see my vehicle, I said sure. Opened garage, nothing on my car. I said, I remember the guy. I was in left lane, he entered the street from a side street on my right. He Got in the right lane which was at stand still, then appeared to want to get in front of me, but there was no space, so he got in right behind me. The light had just turned yellow, we were about 30' back, so there was motive for him to get through. She said that is correct, he rode the bus and just got back to his car and followed the path I spelled out.

Cop said she has no evidence to write me a ticket based on my vehicle, but got my insurance and said she'd submit it to his, and they would have to duke it out. The cop saw his vehicle and apparently had a small dent.

So I'm in left lane, a car enters street from the right, and ends up in left lane, and he says I hit him? In what alternate universe does this happen?
cisgenderedAggie
Poast cop boobs
IrishTxAggie
AG
I wouldn't have given the cop my insurance info.
BJM1781
AG
Pigs.
DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
THIS!!

Prepare your anus.
Geralt of Rivia
S
ac04
you shouldn't have said any of that to the cops.
aglaohfour
AG
Whaaaat? I'd be calling and asking for a copy of her report first thing tomorrow. What an idiot.
redd38
AG
quote:
you shouldn't have said any of that to the cops.

This. Should have told her you don't know anything.
HBCanine08
AG
Lmao. Society be like "yeah, officer, come on in."
John Francis Donaghy
They asked to see your car, you showed them, it had no damage. From that point on, you have no business telling them anything else.

When you told them you were there and recalled the incident, you confirmed that you're the guy the person claimed hit and run him.

This is why you don't talk to cops. They are not there to be your friend.

Once you show them no damage, just say you didn't hit anyone, which is true, be cordial to the officers, wish them luck with the case, and say you'd like to go about your evening.
AggieDarlin
AG
Bocephus
AG
I am guessing you are in Texas. If the officer believes they are justified in providing the other driver with your insurance information, then they just believe an accident occurred and are doing an accident report and a hit and run report. If that is the case, then the report should note that you had absolutely no damage to your vehicle and it did not appear you were in an accident.

I would go directly to the police station and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask what the accident report number was. If they don't give you a number, ask the supervisor why his officers are honing out personal information to strangers and possibly contributing to identity theft. If there is no report, then no accident occurred so why is the officer giving out your insurance info?!!

Demand that the officer do an informational report documenting that they observed there was no damage to your vehicle. Get the report number and make sure you give it to your insurance company. Go to the police station right now!! Do not wait until tomorrow. Do it while the officer and the officer's supervisors are still on their shift.
Manbearpig
dude you are screwed
Gerald Tarrant
Women are pigs.
redd38
AG
I'm sure OP's white privilege will keep him out of any trouble.
T Durden
AG
Motive for him to get through? Rode the bus? What in the world did I just read?

You rammed this guy and went about your business...
Beer Baron
AG
She didn't shoot you dead. Consider that a win.
LostInLA07
AG
Never talk to cops.
62strat
AG
She told me she's not filing any accident report since I had no damage. She first asked if I was on a specific street earlier, I said yeh, then asked about the type of car. The guy gave my license plate, and I had a the vehicle she described, so I couldn't have said I wasn't there.
Anyway. I don't know how his story would hold up. Just totally caught me off guard. My mom is in town, our front door was open and I'm standing there holding a 1.5 year old, and two cops are standing there.
ac04
you're missing the point. no matter what the facts are, talking to cops about it can only hurt you. there is no potential benefit, but there are numerous ways it can screw you up. educate yourself
Unemployed
AG
That's why you pay for insurance - let them deal with it.

It's his word against yours. The other guy ain't gonna get anything.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Don't sign off on any insurance claim against your policy. Get the cops comments on record too.
Kitten With A Whip
Never start spewing answers to questions before you know whats going on.
Goodfield Nohit
GFNH would have told the cops to have a big glass of STFU and then Andrew would have banned him for 60 days.

Oh wait. Carry on.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Gayass Colorado
AliasMan02
AG
How this should have gone:

Spoken through the door without opening it, and certainly without going outside: "I don't mean you any disrespect, officer, but do you have a warrant?"

If they specifically asked about the hit and run, maybe you say "Officer, I was not involved in a hit and run, and neither was my car. Thank you."
TexasRebel
AG
Repeat after me:

"Do you have a warrant?"
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
The cops can get it without your permission very easily, all she was doing was verifying.

Y'all are kinda funny. He didn't tell them anything the didn't already know, and any report filed(most wont file it period, or will do an informational and NOT an accident report) will show No damage, and no substantiation. They already had everything that was provided. But yeah...
C4D
AG
Best to not add info when talking to cops.
GreatSullysGhost
GreatSullysGhost
62strat
AG
I did nothing wrong, and had nothing to hide, so I had no problems cooperating with the police. They are the police in the small town that I live. I don't fear them, and being standoffish/not talking/denying/talking through a screen door/asking for a warrant immediately sets a negative/defensive tone.

But that's just, like, my opinion.

Anyway, guess I'll see if my insurance calls me. I can't see how I could be responsible, when it's word vs. word, no accident report/ticket, and no damage on my vehicle. So unless I had scuffs of his paint color on my bumper, I don't know how I could be responsible.

ac04
are you dense? again, it's not about this particular situation.
welborn
Talk less next time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.