Constable versus Sheriff

8,075 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by runontexas
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this is probably a dumb question, but as I understand it the Sheriff and Constable both have jurisdiction over a county in Texas. How do they determine which one has control over a crime or patrolling or whatever?
AliasMan02
AG
A constable is elected and is supposed to be an officer of the court, serving subpoenas and such. They do have police powers, however, and usually are just used as another officer for the county within their precinct.
Post removed:
by user
Zemira
AG
Well for example in my part of the county the Constable and Sheriff are both out patrolling, making traffic stops and responding to crimes.

Just wondering if you could pinpoint if there is any real differentiation in the areas they cover.
TXAG 05
AG
Most likely it's not the actual sheriff, but a deputy.
Zemira
AG
Yes they are deputies of the Sheriff's department, not the actual elected Sheriff.

And deputies of the Constable office as well. I understand the head person of each office is elected.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Well for example in my part of the county the Constable and Sheriff are both out patrolling, making traffic stops and responding to crimes.

Just wondering if you could pinpoint if there is any real differentiation in the areas they cover.

Their police powers are very similar. A constable only has power within his precinct, not the whole county like the sheriff.
Ag_of_08
AG
The constables office in Texas is assigned to a JP, and is responsible for the court of the precinct they're elected to. In most places they handle civil law that regular SO does not. They can also act as criminal enforcement
Human
AG
You can shoot a Sherrif, just not a Deputy.
Zemira
AG
So the fact the Constable Precinct in my county patrols certain areas and roads for traffic enforcement is not their normal course of business?
Smee
post tits for an honest answer
Zemira
AG
Well what limited information I can find online says that Constables have county wide jurisdiction as well.

I couldn't find it on my county's website, but it says so in Travis County:

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/constables

Hence my confusion.
Zemira
AG
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
So the fact the Constable Precinct in my county patrols certain areas and roads for traffic enforcement is not their normal course of business
It depends on the constables office. A small town constable that has himself, and 2-3 volunteers, usually not. A larger office that has paid deputies? Very common, and perfectly within their powers as LEOs.(note I didn't say RIGHT, I said legal.)

As was said above, in many counties, the constables end up being a branch of the sheriff's office.
Zemira
AG
Okay thanks! Just wondering because they keep pulling traffic stops on the same road for the past six months and I never see the sheriff's deputies on that road ever.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Do yo live in Harris County? We have much larger and more active Constable departments than most counties, and they also contract with many HOA's for neighborhood patrol.

It's somewhat unusual to see the sheriff's office doing traffic patrol here, unless they've contracted with that neighborhood. There's a lot of duplication that can only be explained by local peculiarities.
Zemira
AG
Yes, I guess the sheriffs do certain areas and the constables others. The main reason it peaked my curiosity is because the sheriff's office isn't far away, but it seems like the constables office is out in full force nearby on several roads.
aggie_wes
AG
Piqued.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Yes, I guess the sheriffs do certain areas and the constables others. The main reason it peaked my curiosity is because the sheriff's office isn't far away, but it seems like the constables office is out in full force nearby on several roads.
Yeah, Sheriff's office hear doesn't usually do much traffic enforcement here (though they have the power to). It's usually going to be PD or constable, depending on where you live.
AG
In Texas, the county constable is the only person with authority to arrest the county sheriff.
Human
AG
ac04
i was expecting a kick ass fight video based on thread title. very disappointed
hillcountryag86
AG
quote:
quote:

Their police powers are very similar. A constable only has power within his precinct, not the whole county like the sheriff.

I don't think that is accurate. Think constable has power in more than just precinct
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think that is accurate. Think constable has power in more than just precinct
Any law enforcement officer has authority anywhere in the state if they can justify using them.

Sheriff is the #1 in the county.
Psych
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any law enforcement officer has authority anywhere in the state if they can justify using them.

But a constable can arrest the sheriff.
blumpkin
AG
It's like corps vs military.
TLIAC
AG
quote:
So the fact the Constable Precinct in my county patrols certain areas and roads for traffic enforcement is not their normal course of business?
No it just means that you have a proactive constable's office that doesn't just sit around their office when they aren't serving civil papers and acting as baliff in JP court.
Ag_of_08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But a constable can arrest the sheriff.

So can a deputy sheriff if necessary, but the sheriff is still the #1 LEO authority in the county.
runontexas
AG
Nowitzki is the real Sheriff of Texas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.