What sorts of food defines " heavy hors d'oeuvres"?

6,371 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tanya 93
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend (of course) is trying to decide between this and a full sit down meal for a wedding reception. I'm just curious about that term.
EFE
AG
Weight
aglaohfour
AG
Most weddings I've been to lately have served "heavy hors d'oeuvres" in lieu of a meal. I've seen pretty much everything you can think of: chicken strips, egg rolls, crab cakes, meatballs, bruschetta, meat and veggie skewers, fried mac and cheese, sliders, mini shrimp cocktails.... I'm not certain that any money would really be saved by going that route, but it's a good way to offer your guests a wide variety of options.
Out in Left Field
AG
quote:
Weight

Weight has nothing to do with it!
histag10
AG
quote:
Weight

He said heavy hors d'oeuvres, not heavy *****s
Glish21
AG
There's that word again, heavy.
Geralt of Rivia
S
IrishTxAggie
AG
Really?! The word "heavy" and you stray away from a wrestling gif? Come on man! You're better than that.
Talon2DSO
AG
If I was catering an event and they wanted "heavy hors d'oeuvres" I would make the following:

- Chipotle glazed lamb lollipops
- smoked brisket sliders
- lobster bisque shots
- chicken cordon bleu skewers
- shrimp cocktail
- chevre and asparagus deviled eggs
- bacon and pickled jalapeno deviled eggs
- lemongrass chicken skewers
- lemongrass beef skewers

I would also offer a cheese and antipasto table, a fruit and veggie table, and assorted bruschetta.

I'd charge $65 per person.
Geralt of Rivia
S
It made me think of BttF, I'll try and do better going forward
ballchain
Max Power
AG
Big salads?
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
There's that word again, heavy.

Maybe there's something wrong with earths gravitational pull?
BostonAg74
gigem70
AG
pizza
Gerald Tarrant

BombayAg
Gerald great stuff!
Gerald Tarrant
fyi www.reddit.com/r/gifrecipes
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
quote:
Weight

Weight has nothing to do with it!

Speed has everything to do with it.
Gerald Tarrant
Al Bula
AG
quote:
fyi www.reddit.com/r/gifrecipes
i love watching these recipes!
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
Meat.
12f Mane
AG
If your mom was an appetizer.
malibu9in1
Went to a wedding 3 weeks ago. The hour dourves were very filling. Many options. Nice wedding. First Jewish wedding I've attended. Saw that the groom was arrested for trying to have sex with a child this week. What the **** is wrong with folks.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
quote:
Went to a wedding 3 weeks ago. The hour dourves were very filling. Many options. Nice wedding. First Jewish wedding I've attended. Saw that the groom was arrested for trying to have sex with a child this week. What the **** is wrong with folks.
AgCat93
AG
quote:
Gerald Tarrant
quote:

This post was a whirlwind
2ndGen87
AG
quote:
quote:

any more details? friend of the groom?
malibu9in1
quote:
quote:
quote:

any more details? friend of the groom?

Yea, I know the groom. He is a nerdy type. No kids. Still can't believe it. I feel sorry for his bride.
wbt5845
AG
quote:

Did he pull out his matzo balls?
The Shank Ag
Mazel Tov
B-1 83
AG
Well, that was one hell of a thread derail.....

What if there was a band and dance involved at the reception? Would a sit-down meal be more in order? The more they eat, the less they drink! Still asking for a friend, of course.....
Tanya 93
I would still prefer the hors d'oeuvres rather than the choose between beef, chicken, or fish dinners.

More variety. Hot and cold options. And don't forget those cute little plates they are served on.

If this is a wedding in Texas and not held in a baptist church, it doesn't matter. Everyone will drink a lot. If that cost is an issue for your "friend," then just do wine and beer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.