A friend committed suicide last night

6,757 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wbt5845
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry for your loss, OP
RiskManager93
AG
Professional lurker here.

I discovered a good friend of mine, a detective with the Tyler PD, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in February of '98. You will never get over it.

You're doing the only thing you can. You're going to be there for your friend's fiance and the kids. I commend you for that.
Gerald Tarrant
PrincessButtercup
AG
Completely disagree that suicide is selfish. Suicide is a result of a ridiculous amount of pain one doesn't know how to get out of. When you think you have no options and your life is no longer helpful but a hindrance to those around you.

You sound like you did everything you could to be his friend. Mental pain is so ****ing intense and impossible to read. I am so so so sorry for your loss. He didn't know how to end the pain in his life. Not your fault. I'm praying for you and his family.
evinoblanco
AG
Sorry to hear this...my BIL committed suicide in September and my wife is still experiencing PTSD...counseling is vital in overcoming the shock/grief/denial/blame that appears after this tragic loss of life. I will pray for you and your friend's family.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My husband's cousin took her own life yesterday morning so I understand the shock and trying to make sense of it all.
ellebee
So sorry. That's a tough one. I agree with buttercup. He may have felt that they would be better off without him. Very familiar with that thought process. It's like you feel like you would be doing them a favor.
revolutionAG
Sorry for your loss. My roommate at A&M committed suicide my freshmen year. It's hard to rationalize. I think about him often, but time has helped. Hang in there.
Texker
AG
My deepest sympathy to you. Unfortunately, we have experienced the pain and trauma of suicide with the loss of my daughter's boyfriend a few months ago. There are a ton of resources out there to help you through this. I'll be glad to forward you a list.
Pro Sandy
AG
I am praying for you and his family. May God comfort y'all during this time.
Goodfield Nohit
i can't stop crying
haircut
AG
Im sorry GN. Lots of folks sending positive thoughts your way.

As much as it hurts and is incomprehensible at the moment, realize that you are not alone and this situation is not unique. That is not to diminish the individual whom is no longer here, but to help those left behind. One day, after all this pain, you will more than likely share your story with someone whom is experiencing something similar.

Sorry again buddy. Cry that **** out and don't hold back.
Goodfield Nohit
My best friend killed himself.

RandAlThor
AG
Ag_of_08
AG

I almost didn't post this, but I'm laying here fighting my own demons, and though it might be appropriate. I wrote it, and understand it better than I wish. Depression is an evil, debilitating, and often silent killer. The depths of the chasm you see opening before you are un measurable, and often you stop seeing the light.

I will share something I may regret.... at 14 I survived an attempt due to a bad primer in a shotgun shell. Making that decision is an incredibly complex and painful thing.

I hope your friend has found peace, and I hope you will be there for the family, and yourself. I've been the first voice many hear after finding a loved one, I'm always willing to offer what I can.
tiny94
So sorry for your loss.
wbt5845
AG
I'm sorry this happened.

A co-worker of mine killed himself a couple of months ago. We were not as close as it sounds like you and this guy were, but here is what helped me.

1. It's not your fault. As irrational as it sounds, we find ourselves thinking "What did I miss? What could I have done?" It isn't your fault this happened - there wasn't anything you could have said or done to make a difference. They made their own choice.

2. Talk to someone. Hell, anyone. Doesn't have to be someone who knew him - just someone who's willing to let you unburden. It will help you, believe me. If you don't have someone, you can talk to me or tiny94.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.