KBTX reporting racial slurs at TAMU

33,484 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by who?mikejones
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I wonder how many black kids get their heads kicked in by white cowboy kids and die while trying to eat at McDonalds.

Just saying.....

I don't have an exact number, but it's got to be in the thousands
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Another poster brought up earring girl being a waitress somewhere locally. Was it this thread or the politics one? Too lazy to look.

On Politics:

quote:
From a poster on premium.

quote: Oh gosh, I may have met this girl.

About 2 months ago, my wife and I were at Torchy's with our 1 year old daughter.

While we were eating, a college-aged girl came up to our table and started talking to our daughter. She took off her earrings which happened to be Confederate flags and asked my daughter if she liked them. She tried to hand her earrings to our daughter, but we wouldn't let her.

This girl continued to stay at our table talking to us, and asking us very personal questions, despite us telling her we wanted to eat alone.

She eventually left, but it was easily the most bizarre interaction I've had with someone in College Station. It was obvious this girl may have been suffering from some mental disorder. My wife was even worried she was waiting in the parking lot for us, due to this girl's strange interest in our daughter.

Of course I have no idea if this girl was actually a student or even the same person from the article, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if she has gone up to other people and said very inappropriate things.

MasterAggie
AG
The exact number is about zero.
Just sayin
DannyDuberstein
AG
Getting the full in-depth treatment on Fox4 in Dallas tonight with Royce West as a guest. 10 minute nut-kicking in progress
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:
Another poster brought up earring girl being a waitress somewhere locally. Was it this thread or the politics one? Too lazy to look.

On Politics:

quote:
From a poster on premium.

quoteh gosh, I may have met this girl.

About 2 months ago, my wife and I were at Torchy's with our 1 year old daughter.

While we were eating, a college-aged girl came up to our table and started talking to our daughter. She took off her earrings which happened to be Confederate flags and asked my daughter if she liked them. She tried to hand her earrings to our daughter, but we wouldn't let her.

This girl continued to stay at our table talking to us, and asking us very personal questions, despite us telling her we wanted to eat alone.

She eventually left, but it was easily the most bizarre interaction I've had with someone in College Station. It was obvious this girl may have been suffering from some mental disorder. My wife was even worried she was waiting in the parking lot for us, due to this girl's strange interest in our daughter.

Of course I have no idea if this girl was actually a student or even the same person from the article, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if she has gone up to other people and said very inappropriate things.

So all this is on account that a Southern girl is proud of her Confederate earrings?

This such total bullcrap.

My high school had to change its mascot from the Rebels to the Raiders. The city of New Orleans is going to take down a statue of Robert E Lee. And let's not get started on the South Carolina thing.

If blacks can celebrate Malcom X and Latinos can honor La Raza (the race), why the hell can't whites be allowed to have anything with the Confederate flag on it?

Either we are going to be politically correct or we are not. This double standard is garbage.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
Getting the full in-depth treatment on Fox4 in Dallas tonight with Royce West as a guest. 10 minute nut-kicking in progress

And I'm sure he's going to give a totally unbiased opinion.
phatbc
This story sounds really strange. There has to be more to it. Really hoping it didn't go down like this.

I also don't remember any real racial issues or hearing any racial slurs (c/o 2008). Honestly. I don't know if that's a byproduct of who I hung out with or what but either way. Now living in the northeast however....
Lungblood
I spoke to a black guy today, shook his hand and told him good luck in his future endeavors.... So this really makes you think.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The story is complete bull****. The only people talking about it on record weren't there.
histag10
AG
quote:
I spoke to a black guy today, shook his hand and told him good luck in his future endeavors.... So this really makes you think.

Sounds like you fired him because he was black
Lungblood
quote:
quote:

Sounds like you fired him because he was black

Ha... It does kinda SOUND that way.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
So all this is on account that a Southern girl is proud of her Confederate earrings?
She may be Southern, but it sounds like she's a few fries short of a Happy Meal. If this account and the other is true, what kind of loon goes up to random strangers and shows off earrings? Even more, who shows off Confederate Battle Flag anything to black strangers?
JustinXHale
It is when you get in there face.
JustinXHale
quote:
quote:
This could literally be written about anywhere. People call other people names everyday. Not going to change.
This. Sounds like something planted by BLM or Horn libs. In my 5 years in CS, I never heard racial slurs. Not once. Now, gay/lesbian slurs, that's a bit different.

Lol so if you don't see it that means it can't be true.
P.C. Principal
If this is actually true, I'm hearing it happened by Walton. If so, then I'm really not surprised. Trashiest dorm at A&M.
BostonAg74
Well, that introduces a whole new issue: If the school is training and paying students to lead campus tours of impressionable high school students, hoping to show the school in its best light, why in the world would they show them Walton? Positive Imagery 101: Don't ever bring outsiders anywhere near Walton Hall.
JustinXHale
quote:
I find this really, really hard to believe. While we can all admit racism is still alive & well (yes, even at Texas A&M) what I don't believe is someone going out of their way to be hostile to these kids. Even if you were racist, it's not like these people are generally going around picking fights with black people. If they were, don't you think we would have heard about it from other people? Why this group all of a sudden?

It's not too often you see a group of 60 black people walking together unless it's coming into kyle field.
John Francis Donaghy
I doubted that this even happened right up until I saw that it happened by Walton.

Its always ****ing Walton....
walton91
quote:
why in the world would they show them Walton? Positive Imagery 101: Don't ever bring outsiders anywhere near Walton Hall.
Hey?!?! You know, its possible they were pointing out Sbisa in close proximity to Walton, not necessarily taking the tour BY Walton (not that there is anything wrong with that)
histag10
AG
quote:
If this is actually true, I'm hearing it happened by Walton. If so, then I'm really not surprised. Trashiest dorm at A&M.

And they typically attract the trashiest girls
CanyonAg77
AG
Cracks me up that no one believes this fairy tale......until they hear it was near a certain dorm.

"Oh, those guys. To hell with them."
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Cracks me up that no one believes this fairy tale......until they hear it was near a certain dorm.

"Oh, those guys. To hell with them."
Well, they do "blow us all"
sshm
AG
quote:
quote:
I find this really, really hard to believe. While we can all admit racism is still alive & well (yes, even at Texas A&M) what I don't believe is someone going out of their way to be hostile to these kids. Even if you were racist, it's not like these people are generally going around picking fights with black people. If they were, don't you think we would have heard about it from other people? Why this group all of a sudden?

It's not too often you see a group of 60 black people walking together unless it's coming into kyle field.

Was there '07-'11. Saw this often because they had these same types of recruiting visits moving about campus on a regular basis.

quote:
quote:
quote:
This could literally be written about anywhere. People call other people names everyday. Not going to change.
This. Sounds like something planted by BLM or Horn libs. In my 5 years in CS, I never heard racial slurs. Not once. Now, gay/lesbian slurs, that's a bit different.

Lol so if you don't see it that means it can't be true.
No, but half the issue here is people spouting off about how this undoes goodwill toward A&M and how it reflects on the culture at A&M as a whole. I heard racial slurs while in College Station, but not on campus and not from A&M students. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen by any means, and part of that is going to be based on the company that I kept, but the way the press works nowadays and how people in general react to this sort of stuff will portray it as a regular occurrence or as evidence of some sort of confederate flag earring fetish among students.

Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Oh, really? So let me get this straight... Hurting someone's feelings is fine, but it becomes illegal when you get in THEIR face and hurt their feelings?
FCBlitz
I would have a better time with these enormous reactions to words if blacks were held to the same standard. They aren't and I at the point where I don't care anymore. I used to care but not anymore.

RAB83
AG
From http://stophate.tamu.edu/definition (yes, the university has a set of webpages dedicated to "hate" speech)...

quote:
What is a Bias/Hate Related Event?

Bias/hate related events are those actions or behaviors committed that involve the intentional selection of a victim based on their membership in a group identified by race, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, or sexual orientation.

So there you have it. Old Army can no longer make comments about New Army and vice versa. It's hate speech. I'm offended at all of y'all.
histag10
AG
quote:

And I think I found what is wrong with the university. Assuming this poster is a student. If not, I found what is wrong with society.
BostonAg74
You can say anything you want. The University is just establishing its right to hold you accountable when you do or say something that casts the school in an unfavorable light.

And, for what it's worth, the two interviews I've seen with the kids who were targeted indicate that they were taking a very mature attitude about it and not condemning the whole school for the actions of a few. Most of the offense appears to have been taken by people connected with showcasing A&M to these students and were embarrassed and humiliated by the actions of the A&M students.
rhoswen
AG
The kid interviewed by KHOU said he still wants to attend a&m cuz he knows not everyone is like that. I kinda got the impression he didn't really think any of this was a big deal, so it may be the school he's attending behind the uproar. Would explain the lack of social media posts before the president's statement.
SwigAg11
AG
Sounds like it may have all started with some students making the "go home" statements because one of the high schoolers had a sip backpack on. Not sure where the girl with the the confederate flag earrings fits in the timeline.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/02/11/video-may-identify-texas-am-university-students-accused-of-yelling-racist-slurs/
SECTAMU#1
From the Eagle:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/a-m-investigating-after-black-high-school-students-harassed-on/article_8ae241c8-d0fd-11e5-8656-57717630a6ef.html
Lungblood
"They didn't like his bag, so they screamed, go back to where you came from! And one of my peers turned around and said, 'you do realize we're all black or African American, right?'"

Lol Wut?
toucan82
quote:
Not sure where the girl with the the confederate flag earrings fits in the timeline.

1862ish
P.C. Principal
quote:
From http://stophate.tamu.edu/definition (yes, the university has a set of webpages dedicated to "hate" speech)...

quote:
What is a Bias/Hate Related Event?

Bias/hate related events are those actions or behaviors committed that involve the intentional selection of a victim based on their membership in a group identified by race, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, or sexual orientation.

So there you have it. Old Army can no longer make comments about New Army and vice versa. It's hate speech. I'm offended at all of y'all.
Good. Old Army is a bunch of whiners anyway.
rhoswen
AG
I'll laugh if this whole thing started because of some stupid archaic rivalry with the sips and had nothing to do with racism.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.