Crane falls in NYC, makes a sound

5,701 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by UnderoosAg
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay Ag Engineers, knowledge us on what happened here.

http://uproxx.com/news/crane-collapses-lower-manhattan-death/2/
80s Guy
It fell down and went boom
AliasMan02
AG
Crane failures are almost always installation errors, or from operating outside the equipment's load/reach envelope.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Okay Ag Engineers, knowledge us on what happened here.
Someone effed up.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Crane failures are almost always installation errors, or from operating outside the equipment's load/reach envelope.

You're forgetting weather.

Wind and or ice accumulation might have been a cause based on the weather in the photos.
proc
AG
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Cadmv9iWwAA0XUj.mp4
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

There's rarely a weather event that should topple a tower crane. You're talking about a 500 year event or more, probably. Maybe 100.

If you mean operating a crane in higher than allowed winds, then yes.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:

saw the snow and was thinking reduced allowable stress.

hard to tell what happened but i think the bigger question is why they were doing this type of lift to begin with.
Ragoo
AG
and ice good point, adding extra load and moment to the end of the crane.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
and ice good point, adding extra load and moment to the end of the crane.

These are typically accounted for in design and the operations/maintenance manual, though. Possible the conditions were overlooked/ignored by the operator.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

saw the snow and was thinking reduced allowable stress.

hard to tell what happened but i think the bigger question is why they were doing this type of lift to begin with.

When I first opened it and saw the span I thought it was a tower crane. Then I saw it was self propelled / movable and was really confused.
Claude!
Crane.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Really???
How do you MOVE it now? Cut it into pieces?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Depending on the size of the load it wouldn't take much snow/ice accumulation on either the crane itself or the load to very quickly get way out of specs. Granted this is just speculation of course that this was the principal cause. Large lifts are not quick operations, so it's very likely they were in need of a window that was several hours long.
Human
AG
McCamey>>>>Crane
Builder93
AG
quote:
How do you MOVE it now? Cut it into pieces?
Cut the rigging into pieces and use another crane to lift the cab onto a flatbed. The tracks come off too.

The way that thing is flipped and still on the mat makes me think it was extended beyond spec.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Depending on the size of the load it wouldn't take much snow/ice accumulation on either the crane itself or the load to very quickly get way out of specs. Granted this is just speculation of course that this was the principal cause. Large lifts are not quick operations, so it's very likely they were in need of a window that was several hours long.

I read it was swinging a wrecking ball to demo one of the buildings.
AgLA06
AG
A random witness said they thought it was. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
Builder93
AG
quote:
quote:

That's not the kind of crane you would use for a wrecking ball.
AgLA06
AG
That was my original thought as well, but with this being Manhattan, who knows. They may not have been able to bring down a tall building with explosives due to the tight proximities.
Scruffy
AG
I realize that, just saying what I read.
Builder93
SeattleAgJr
Pretty sure it is a covert CIA/Illuminati effort.

If you watch the video closely, you can see small puffs of smoke along the frame, indicating controlled explosions.

This was brought down on purpose but made to look like an accident.
Picard
AG
Gravity....that's what happened. I'm surprised you guys haven't figured that out by now!

AgLA06
AG
quote:
Gravity....that's what happened. I'm surprised you guys haven't figured that out by now!

No, that's what happened next.

5C
AG
Nerds
m-walker
AG
565ft is a big ****ing stick
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not the kind of crane you would use for a wrecking ball.

There's no load on the hook in the video. They were lowering the boom because of wind.

Also, not a tower crane.
fta09
AG
NSFW language

UnderoosAg
AG
Only thing I hear in that video is gold chains rubbing on track suits and Affliction gear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.