What have my fellow Millennials done in the workplace lately, TexAgs?

6,419 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by boboguitar
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's hear your complaints on this good Friday of ours.
MouthBQ98
AG
If they were O&G, mostly just get laid off.
DeLaHonta
AG
Complain about not being able to "work" from home, not getting paid six figures, and not being involved in upper management decisions straight out of college?
Beer Baron
AG
This guy did some craaaaaazy stuff.
B-1 83
AG
At work? I figured they were all at Bernie rallies hoping for loan forgiveness and free stuff.
blumpkin
AG
funkymonkey
AG
All of the work.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Working a couple of recompletions, making the company lots of money, and generally crushing life. Y'all sound bitter.
Noblemen06
AG
Ensured a bunch of ISIS guys didn't make it to dinner.
MouthBQ98
AG
Recompletions? How'd you manage to find that busywork? Best of luck, as it has to be tough out there.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Company is cutting CAPEX way back across the board like everyone else since the economics of most of our oil projects have gone to ****. An interesting side effect of that is our conventional assets are getting more attention, and conventional recompletion opportunities in legacy fields start looking more attractive relative to unconventional oil play economics in some cases as far as competing for CAPEX goes.
MouthBQ98
AG
That kind of makes sense. That lets you work with a lot of equipment you already have on hand.
funkymonkey
AG
90% of a millennial's workday is showing their bosses and office elders how to use technology like email and copy and paste. Then they listen to them ***** about how worthless millennial's are.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
90% of a millennial's workday is showing their bosses and office elders how to use technology like email and copy and paste. Then they listen to them ***** about how worthless millennial's are.

ac04
i was cheering this post until the unnecessary apostrophe right at the end. now i feel confused and alone
80s Guy
The struggle is indeed real....
funkymonkey
AG
Sorry I can't be perfect

HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Not yet. But to summarize a few things:

• Reduce outside counsel legal fees
  • Standardize various corporate contracts for use throughout the company and with clients
  • Incorporate international subsidiaries and their approval by local O&G governing bodies
  • Coordinated intercompany transfer of assets in three different countries
  • Negotiate contract terms with vendors and clients
  • Provide practical legal advice to management and executive groups
  • Brag about things I have done in the true millennial way
  • Help my older coworkers set up Outlook 365 on their iPhones
  • Teach people how OneDrive for Business works
All that, plus more, without a raise in two years or any bonus.

ISEN AG
AG
quote:

Truth to this (27). My old job (O&G) boasted how they keep employees on even during the hard times and then 2016 rolled in and with $30/bbl prices I along with 15 others in my dept got the axe. Luckily for me I already was in the process of accepting another job in a less volatile field. Had he boss waited a few more days he would have saved himself at least one severance package.

Lot happier in my current role & better paid along with a pension so I can't complain.
HBCanine08
AG
What field?
ISEN AG
AG
quote:
What field?
Left Control & Safety Systems Engineering for a job in Gas System Engineering at a large utility company. So as long as people need to cook and heat their homes I should have a job.
Builder93
AG
quote:
quote:

• Reduce outside counsel legal fees - boss told me to not have him sign next year's retainer contract.
  • Standardize various corporate contracts for use throughout the company and with clients - put all of the forms on the same letterhead
  • Incorporate international subsidiaries and their approval by local O&G governing bodies - filled out the paperwork after my boss's admin put those little red "sign here" arrows on it
  • Coordinated intercompany transfer of assets in three different countries - set up conference call on "Go to meeting"
  • Negotiate contract terms with vendors and clients - called up a guy and said, "can you go 5% lower?"
  • Provide practical legal advice to management and executive groups - directed inquiry to my senior counsel
  • Brag about things I have done in the true millennial way - see above
  • Help my older coworkers set up Outlook 365 on their iPhones - you're not doing anything, canine, set this up for me after you get my coffee.
  • Teach people how OneDrive for Business works - copy online instructions and hit "share"
All that, plus more, without a raise in two years or any bonus. - now you know why you didn't get a raise

Sounds like a padded resume to me. Did you think outside the box while you did all of this stuff?
HBCanine08
AG
Had to. Trial by fire. My boss has been very hands off the last two years. Complete opposite of micromanaging.
HBCanine08
AG
Yeah, I wish that's all that was done.
Builder93
AG
That can be good and bad. It does foster a certain self sufficiency but a good mentor is priceless. I've been in both situations and I'd take wisdom from experience over going it alone any day.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I stuck a needle into a man's ***** the other day
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HBCanine08
AG
It's been very good experience. I've been here two years but the experience is somewhere between 3-5. I learn by actually doing. Just at times I wish I could've had some guidance vs no guidance from my boss regarding certain transactions. I accepted that "no news is good news" and gaining confidence in my work helped.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
I stuck a needle into a man's ***** the other day
You know Steve?
htownag10
AG
Let me see....

• Laid off from O&G in March 2015,
  • Took a job at Gander Mountain because I couldn't sit at home while collecting unemployment (was still able to collect while working)
  • Took a temp job from a friend's dad
  • Accepted into the fire academy on Monday for the Houston Fire Department (that had been in the works since oil plummeted).
mid90
AG
Congrats on getting accepted!
htownag10
AG
Much appreciated
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Complain about not being able to "work" from home, not getting paid six figures, and not being involved in upper management decisions straight out of college?
Damn, 1 out of 3 and almost 2 aint bad.
Poeag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

• Reduce outside counsel legal fees - boss told me to not have him sign next year's retainer contract.
  • Standardize various corporate contracts for use throughout the company and with clients - put all of the forms on the same letterhead
  • Incorporate international subsidiaries and their approval by local O&G governing bodies - filled out the paperwork after my boss's admin put those little red "sign here" arrows on it
  • Coordinated intercompany transfer of assets in three different countries - set up conference call on "Go to meeting"
  • Negotiate contract terms with vendors and clients - called up a guy and said, "can you go 5% lower?"
  • Provide practical legal advice to management and executive groups - directed inquiry to my senior counsel
  • Brag about things I have done in the true millennial way - see above
  • Help my older coworkers set up Outlook 365 on their iPhones - you're not doing anything, canine, set this up for me after you get my coffee.
  • Teach people how OneDrive for Business works - copy online instructions and hit "share"
All that, plus more, without a raise in two years or any bonus. - now you know why you didn't get a raise

Sounds like a padded resume to me. Did you think outside the box while you did all of this stuff?

This makes me laugh. My company recently roles out a top ten safety rules format on their home site. An hse co-worker of mine threw those exact things into a PowerPoint and sent it out to everyone because it was in an easier format to read. He proceeded to get congratulated by our hse vp on the good job he had done
Zemira
AG
quote:
So my least favorite millennial coworker (who happens to be my age but acts 25) got laid off in November. The thing is I don't feel any remorse.

He was warned and told numerous times he wasn't performing. Yet he went out and bought a huge fancy house last summer that I encouraged him not to purchase. I suggested that he continue renting or find something more in his price range. This same guy would take 3-4 vacations a year and didn't understand how I could only take 1 to save money.

I spent the last 3 years helping him do his job while I still did mine, because the work had to get done. He was in the office next to mine and constantly talked to me without provocation. In addition he would wander the halls on his cell phone. I don't know how many people told our boss and me about it. I know at least ten told me and I wasn't his manager.

He was warned and now he is gone. Oh and he graduated from Baylol.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
What field?
Left Control & Safety Systems Engineering for a job in Gas System Engineering at a large utility company. So as long as people need to cook and heat their homes I should have a job.
Need any water bath heaters for your pressure reduction stations?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.