Random factoid that blew my mind just now

5,419 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Unemployed
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.knowable.com/a/30-shocking-things-about-death-and-dying-that-may-surprise-you?utm_content=inf_10_3136_2&tse_id=INF_ebdf12681865452abef8bd3005423f61
80% of all Soviet males born in 1923 died in World War II.
Human
AG
toucan is not amused
chipotle
quote:
21. In London, it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

Challenge accepted.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Pretty sure this is true

22. In Greek mythology, it was believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.
Amazing Moves
quote:
Pretty sure this is true

22. In Greek mythology, it was believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.

Blondes and Brunettes as well.
Max06
AG
quote:
Pretty sure this is true

Challenge accepted.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Pretty sure this is true

Do they not?!
Human
AG
quote:
24. There's a "Rent a Mourner" service in the UK to fill your funeral with fake friends.

Here
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
quote:
24. There's a "Rent a Mourner" service in the UK to fill your funeral with fake friends.

Here

Your check bounced
dcAg
Malaria is thought to be responsible for the death of about half of all people who have ever lived.

What the?
Professor Frick
AG
If you want to really blow your mind:

A 'factoid' is actually defined as a piece of unreliable information that is spread and repeated so often that it eventually believed.

AZAggie
AG
quote:
Malaria is thought to be responsible for the death of about half of all people who have ever lived.

Which makes the case that DDT was possibly the greatest medical breakthrough in modern history.
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
quote:

Which makes the case that DDT was possibly the greatest medical breakthrough in modern history.
HossAg
AG
I'm left handed
Eliminatus
AG
Little tiddlybit I just learned.

USA PATRIOT Act is in fact, an acronym.

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act

Never knew that.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
12. Sharks kill 12 people per year while humans kill 11,417 sharks per hour

Ag with kids
AG
quote:
Pretty sure this is true

Further proof that gingers have no souls.
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
29. Malaria is thought to be responsible for the death of about half of all people who have ever lived.
So I didn't believe this one, seems pretty outlandish. But Nature and National Geographic produced the studies. We've certainly made progress over the past decade, but when you see deaths by Malaria by year, it was on the way out until DDT was outlawed. Then Malaria had a resurgence. Millions of lives would have been saved by the use of DDT.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:

What the?

40% of those who have ever lived did not survive beyond their first birthday.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
quote:
29. Malaria is thought to be responsible for the death of about half of all people who have ever lived.
So I didn't believe this one, seems pretty outlandish. But Nature and National Geographic produced the studies. We've certainly made progress over the past decade, but when you see deaths by Malaria by year, it was on the way out until DDT was outlawed. Then Malaria had a resurgence. Millions of lives would have been saved by the use of DDT.

Nice work liberals. As usual.
dabo man
AG
Loved Jake the Snake and the DDT! The only heel I can remember in all my years of watching Mid-South Wrestling who had his own t-shirt for sale.
Ag_EE
AG
quote:

More than Cecil B. DeMille?
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:

Rachel Carson has quite a legacy.
toucan82
who cares about the lives of poor people if it means we can stop Big Pesticide from making money?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
quote:

That's just under 100MM sharks per year. I call BS.
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe they mean per Liucci hour
marble rye
AG
Tse Tse flies are murderous bass turds.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right. That's not NEARLY enough!
AliasMan02
AG
But it's possible that ddt might thin the shells of some birds in some cases...
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
About 80 million die every year from malaria. Works out to about 2.5 deaths a second. It would all be stopped along with the zika virus if DDTwas allowed to be used again.
"Trust me, I'm a scientist"

"A liberal with a pen is a true weapon of mass destruction"
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I automatically assume people using the old roman numeral notations for thousand and million are involved in finance.
Wolfpac 08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can always count on you, every day, for a well placed and appropriately time wrestling gif. Well done.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
The creator of the Pringles packaging had his ashes stored in a Pringles can after he died.
Seems appropriate.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Eradicate malaria and other bugs by eradicating the mosquitoes and some other vector will step up and just take its place.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:
The creator of the Pringles packaging had his ashes stored in a Pringles can after he died.
Seems appropriate.

Originally the Pringles factory was intended to manufacture tennis balls, but their first shipment of rubber got screwed up and they were sent trucks full of potatoes instead. The GM decided, **** it, cut up and fry the potatoes and stick them in the cans. The rest is history.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.