Neighbor claims he has me land locked

12,839 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Dad
CaddoAggie96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The deed is based on a survey from 1995 and 2006.
Yet the private road turned to a county road well before I bought the house and 2 acres.
He claims the county only took 20' from him leaving my property "land locked". Because my deed shows 25' from the adjacent property.
I think this is a simple prior use easement. even if he actually owns the 5 feet he can't block the property owners from full use of the 2 acres. Calling my title co tomorrow.
redd38
AG
Ok, cool.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I am your title company, and I can say without a doubt that your neighbor is right
Geralt of Rivia
S
In order to prove me wrong, please PM me your SSN, credit card number, and address
CaddoAggie96
AG
Keep em coming!
Smee
What county? Got a map? A niece/cousin in school yet? She isn't on the dance team, is she?
reb,
AG
okie dokie so I'm a bit confused here so I am probably missing something...but why is this framed as it is, with your neighbor asserting he has you landlocked. That seems kind of aggressive and concerning, like the plan is to physically trap you onto your property by virtue of his new 'land', and starve you to ****ing death over the winter. Wars of attrition are a nasty business but its a tried and true tactic, just takes a while for their supplies to run out.
EVA3
Gerald Tarrant
Disagree, he needs to nuke that sumbeech now before things get out of hand
HBCanine08
AG
Should've bought whiteacre instead of blackacre
austinag1997
AG
If there is a road that you have been using for a number of years, that is considered "open and notorious" use of that access. Regardless of his claimed ownership, you have a case for perfecting your title through adverse possession. I THINK that timeframe for "open and notorious" use is 8-10 consecutive years in Texas.

You should discuss this possibility with a real estate attorney. I would not wait for your neighbor to act.
Claude!
There's clearly only one way to solve this pickle - challenge him and his crew to a dance off to be held at the Winter Carnival. You'll win, of course, but in the end he'll hand you the trophy and grudgingly respect you.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
There's clearly only one way to solve this pickle - challenge him and his crew to a dance off to be held at the Winter Carnival. You'll win, of course, but in the end he'll hand you the trophy and grudgingly respect you.
Is that the one where they named Kent "King"?
Tobias Funke
AG
Were you meaning to email this to your mom, and accidentally posted it on Texags?
Beer Baron
AG

quote:
Calling my title co tomorrow.
Do we have an update yet? What did they say? I hardly slept last night from all the suspense!
Tailgate88
AG
Outdoors
Aggies Only

Two better boards for this post.
Win At Life
AG
https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/documents/articles/947.pdf
80s Guy
quote:
open and notorious

swc93
AG
Do you have a daughter you could marry off to him or his sons in return for huge tracks of land?
Predmid
AG
Sounds like your title company done screwed up when you bought the land.
histag10
AG
This sounds like a horrible version of Risk, and your neighbor is declaring himself the winner.
ac04
worst thread ever
PatAg
AG
No matter what, you have to have at least one point of access to your land.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
If there is a road that you have been using for a number of years, that is considered "open and notorious" use of that access. Regardless of his claimed ownership, you have a case for perfecting your title through adverse possession. I THINK that timeframe for "open and notorious" use is 8-10 consecutive years in Texas.

You should discuss this possibility with a real estate attorney. I would not wait for your neighbor to act.
It is 10 years from the date of accrual of the cause of action.
SeattleAgJr
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
This has nothing to do with 'adverse possession'. If you've been using the road then the case can be made for a prescriptive easement.

Get a survey of your own done and talk to a lawyer.
Predmid
AG
quote:
No matter what, you have to have at least one point of access to your land.

Not true in the slightest. Yes, there are county ordinances that kick in when subdividing pieces of property smaller than a certain size, but for large tracts of land, that is not true. Absolutely inadvisable to actually purchase such a piece of property, but not defined in law as true.

quote:
The deed is based on a survey from 1995 and 2006.
Yet the private road turned to a county road well before I bought the house and 2 acres.
He claims the county only took 20' from him leaving my property "land locked". Because my deed shows 25' from the adjacent property.
I think this is a simple prior use easement. even if he actually owns the 5 feet he can't block the property owners from full use of the 2 acres. Calling my title co tomorrow.

Tell him to take his claim and shove it up his ass. The county road is where the county road is. If it appears to touch your property, it does.
The Collective
AG
So, his argument is that about the first 5 feet of what I assume is your driveway/road crosses his property after turning off of the CR? Did you build the house on this property?
herb11
AG
quote:
okie dokie so I'm a bit confused here so I am probably missing something...but why is this framed as it is, with your neighbor asserting he has you landlocked. That seems kind of aggressive and concerning, like the plan is to physically trap you onto your property by virtue of his new 'land', and starve you to ****ing death over the winter. Wars of attrition are a nasty business but its a tried and true tactic, just takes a while for their supplies to run out.

Thanks for the laugh!
Lungblood
This sounds like a damn fine reason to buy a helicopter.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Dumb neighbor may have cost me a buyer by stopping him on the road and telling him there is a bondary conflict. He never filed anything. This could get ugly.
Edit
Bought house in 2007. Boundaries have been the same with same fence line for 20 years.
He claims that county activities magically gave him 5 feet of land between my property and the county road in 2006. But he never filed a dispute. He actually said that was my responsibility.
GregZeppelin
AG
Forget the title company and call a lawyer. If your neighbor is right, your lawyer can help you fix the situation. If the neighbor is wrong, the lawyer can put a stop to his shenanigans.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Meeting with my attorney and the buyer tomorrow.
Hopefully this will help.
Al Bula
AG
What is the neighbor's motivation here? He sounds like a jerkoff. It seems a rational person would have the legal ducks In a row first with back up from title company.
Lungblood
Your neighbor sounds like a looney sumbeetch.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.