Please Recommned Me A Cookware Set

5,640 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by haircut
haircut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some new pots and pans. What do y'all use or recommend? Coming from what I currently own, anything will be an upgrade, but there are to many options.

Here are two that I like, but not for any specific reason.

Rachael Ray 14-Piece Hard Enamel Nonstick Cookware Set, Red

T-fal E918SC Ultimate Hard Anodized Durable Nonstick Expert Interior Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Anti-Warp Base...

BackwardsInBoots
AG
Calphalon
haircut
AG
Do you prefer Stainless or Non-Stick?

Edit to add Aluminum option.
Gerald Tarrant
garage sale
Goodfield Nohit
Get a good stainless egg pan. One that you can flip 2 or 3 over easy or mediums in.

Don't ever buy anything that has coating that can eventually end up peeling off into your food.
haircut
AG
quote:
garage sale
I'm finally trying to grow up. I've convinced myself this purchase will show good effort toward that achievement.
haircut
AG
quote:
Get a good stainless egg pan. One that you can flip 2 or 3 over easy or mediums in.

Don't ever buy anything that has coating that can eventually end up peeling off into your food.
Thanks GH. I'll have to check do some research to figure out what types of coatings I need to be wary of..
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
garage sale

I prefer "gently used" hand me down pots and pans from relatives
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
quote:
garage sale

I prefer "gently used" hand me down pots and pans from relatives
garage sale is actually good for cast iron. probably well-seasoned, and for cheap
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I cook on my old cast iron skillet more than anything else. It used to be my grandma's.
EFE
AG
Cast iron
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
I cook on my old cast iron skillet more than anything else. It used to be my grandma's.
someday my grandkids will say the same thing. except grandpa instead of grandma.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I have a set of 40yo RevereWare ss with copper bottoms....love it completely. My Dad bought us these as a wedding present because my Mother's set was already 25yo. I have a clad bottom large skillet that I think is Calphalon and if it is filled I can barely lift it. I have a non stick Tfal for fried eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches and that's really about all it's been used for. I have two iron skillets and one iron dutch oven with lid. I use the oldest iron skillet for roux.....I no longer use these for frying chicken because I have a deep fryer outside(such a messy meal but so good to eat!)

Out in Left Field
AG
Don't buy a set, buy what you need
histag10
AG
quote:
Calphalon

Love mine! I have the Simply Calphalon set, and then a separate large Calphalon pan.

Just don't wash them in a dish washer
Smee
Buy the important things a man needs before settling down: Grill, smoker, truck, large tv's, and home.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Buy the important things a man needs before settling down: Grill, smoker, truck, large tv's, and home.

And rifles, pistols, shotguns, fishing and hunting gear, and all manner of other things before worrying about woman stuff. Eventually a woman will take care of all that crap for you. For the kitchen, get you a meat grinder and sausage stuffer, ebay is a good place to start. I made this today.

GCRanger
AG
Calphalon.

The enamel sets I've tried were a bit heavy. Fine for me, but wife and mother didn't like them.
OregonAggie
AG
http://www.jcpenney.com/cuisinart-multiclad-pro-12-pc-tri-ply-stainless-steel-cookware-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002720038&selectedSKUId=78211930018&selectedLotId=7821193&fromBag=true&quantity=1&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-GooglePLA-_-Cookware%20Sets-_-78211930018&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=cookware%20sets&utm_content=78211930018&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4eqyBRDUh7Omv9vCtsoBEiQAspfs8kDzu93-QQNaGOLoFluSzh8VPcdH9g7pQptedw1GvM8aArDM8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid%5E83170177538-sku%5E78211930018-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E45810124418

I bought this set about 8 years ago and they still work great. They were definitely a step up from the set I had in college and I've been very happy with them.

GCRanger
AG
Get at least 1 good sized cast iron fry pan. Also, get solid metal cookware that you can put in the oven. Nothing with rubber or wood handles/grips.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Don't get plastic handles, that way you can use them in the oven, too.
Max06
AG
I have the Calphalon Contemporary stainless set. Love it.
Lex
quote:
quote:

And rifles, pistols, shotguns, fishing and hunting gear, and all manner of other things before worrying about woman stuff. Eventually a woman will take care of all that crap for you. For the kitchen, get you a meat grinder and sausage stuffer, ebay is a good place to start. I made this today.

http://i.imgur.com/Fwf5jAV.jpg

Mmmmm, look at that sausage!
Joe Exotic
AG
Have some cast iron and a good amount of All-Clad stainless. It's the best I've ever used.
UnderoosAg
AG
If it has the name of a Food Network hack, pass.

Get one of the Tramontina tri-ply 18/10 stainless sets from Walmart, a can of barkeepers friend, and a disposable nonstick pan you can replace every couple of years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19581112?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228014887044&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42967107632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81459063152&veh=sem

I normally hate everything Walmart. Got something similar to the set above based on a TA Food Board recommendation.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/equipment-the-all-clad-vs-tramontina-skillet.html
SchnauzerMom
I have the same set as OregonAggie posted. Love it. I also have a big cast iron frying pan and Dutch oven with lid. Use those two much more than I thought I would. Since using them, I've told my grandmother I want all of her cast iron when the time comes. I have a small non stick skillet for random things that really only gets used to scramble a couple of eggs.
combat wombat™
AG
I NEVER cook eggs in anything but nonstick (the newer white enamel-looking kind).

Smee
Never doubt ew
hillcountryag86
AG
All Clad, copper core.

Non stick for eggs only.
Claude!
Hey, this is a family-friendly website...

...oh. Cookware. Never mind.
80s Guy
Has anyone heard from toucan after you posted this picture?
Ragoo
AG
Find a woman. Hth.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I don't know, but I found a small filipino man stuck in the chimney.
Vernada
AG
I've got a mix:

All Clad Stainless - pots and sautee pans
Le Creuset - skillet, dutch oven, braiser
One very old - and excellent - cast iron skillet
Talon2DSO
AG
We are an All-Clad household
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.