Anyone here have a 5.5 year gap between children?

5,683 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by chjoak
Wife is an Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had a brother 7 years older than me and one 4 years older than me & looking back wished we would have all been closer together in age. My oldest brother & I haven't lived in the same state since I was in 5th or 6th grade. We aren't very close because of it. My middle brother and I are closer now but weren't as close growing up because we were never at the same school together & always in different activities/different friends.

My wife & her brother are 15 months apart and very close. Our daughter just turned two & our 2nd child will be born this week. We intentionally wanted them 2 yrs apart. The 3rd kid will be a 3 yr gap at max but probably less.
MSCAg
AG
I had a coworker that intentionally wanted her kids 9 years apart.

Honestly, I just don't get it. I'd rather haven them 2-4 years apart.

1) I generally want to get done with infants at about the same time. Sorta just power through that workload at the same time. The idea of getting done with diapers and potty training only to pick it up again 7 years later...blah.

2) I'd like our kids to be somewhat close in age so they can play together and generally have things in common. A sibling that is 9 years older is less of a sibling and more like an aunt/uncle.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
I had a coworker that intentionally wanted her kids 9 years apart.

Honestly, I just don't get it. I'd rather haven them 2-4 years apart.

1) I generally want to get done with infants at about the same time. Sorta just power through that workload at the same time. The idea of getting done with diapers and potty training only to pick it up again 7 years later...blah.

2) I'd like our kids to be somewhat close in age so they can play together and generally have things in common. A sibling that is 9 years older is less of a sibling and more like an aunt/uncle.

Prior to having kids, I'd read that 3 years was the optimal age difference. Far enough apart for them to be their own person but close enough that they have a decent relationship with the other sibling.

I actually achieved that with my two kids.

Then I got divorced/remarried and that went straight to ****...
Knife_Party
I second everyone here saying that they won't really play together growing up, but will be good friends as adults.
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
Prior to having kids, I'd read that 3 years was the optimal age difference. Far enough apart for them to be their own person but close enough that they have a decent relationship with the other sibling.
I'm 2.5 years younger than my sister. We didn't get along until she moved out for college...she didn't like that she received less attention than she did before I was born.

My brother is 3.5 years younger than me, and we've always been close
BombayAg
quote:
My sister is 32 years younger than me.

Yes, you read that right. 32 YEARS!

Both of her nieces and her nephew are older than her.

So...there's that.

YOU WIN!!
chjoak
AG
My kids are 7 and 2. Just a one month shy of 5.5. Working out ok so far. Better than my BIL who will have 3 kids in diapers in a few months.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.