More evidence that the cop problem is not just "a few bad apples"

7,302 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunterntexas
FOUR THIN INCHES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The cops that murdered that kid in Chicago, were not some rogue bad apples who aren't representitive of the police force. There was an orchestrated cover up by the boys in blue. A local Burger King captured the incident on its security camera and when independent investigators showed up to look at it, they discovered that cops had deleted the footage. Had footage of this incident never made it to the public, these psycopaths would never have been charged with murder, because the police force whose job it is to protect and serve was perfectly willing to cover it up.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/laquan-mcdonald-investigation-305105631.html

Video of the murder of the 17 year old Lawuan McDonald for those who haven't seen it (contains death): http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/us/chicago-laquan-mcdonald-shooting-video/#
Jack Thauer
AG
Why would I want to watch that?
HBCanine08
AG
Bad apples
IrishTxAggie
AG
Chicago is one of the most crooked cities in the U.S. The entire city is a bad apple in my opinion. Rahmster sure as hell hasn't helped matters.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
If NYC is "The Big Apple," does that make Chicago "The Bad Apple?"
hunterntexas
AG
As long as they are covering up the murder of a knife-wielding thug high on PCP I'm good with it.
Bigsteve713
AG
quote:
As long as they are covering up the murder of a knife-wielding thug high on PCP I'm good with it.
did you even watch the video??

I'm all for justice and you get what's coming to you and all that but it's pretty ****ed up to keep shooting him once he's lying on the ground motionless
Mr. White
Caramel apples
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:
did you even watch the video??

I'm all for justice and you get what's coming to you and all that but it's pretty ****ed up to keep shooting him once he's lying on the ground motionless

Not to mention walking away from the cops in the first place.
RAB87
AG
The police sure have a tough job. Dude is walking down the road, clearly stoned, swinging a knife. Would it be appropriate to just let him walk away to harm others? Can they get close enough to taze without putting their own lives at risk? Rubber bullets? Surely FTI has the answer.
haircut
AG
Burger King videotaping McDonald
anaggieshusband
There is a slight chance that the guy could have gotten one stab(lethal?) in before they stopped him with a taser. Most people don't like taking chances with their own lives.

AliasMan02
AG
quote:
The police sure have a tough job. Dude is walking down the road, clearly stoned, swinging a knife. Would it be appropriate to just let him walk away to harm others? Can they get close enough to taze without putting their own lives at risk? Rubber bullets? Surely FTI has the answer.

Police have lots of nonlethal options. Could easily taze or mace him from distance, for starters.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:

Shoot people as a last resort, not the first option, it's not that difficult. Talk to him first. Tell him to drop the knife. Warn him that he will be tazed and/or shot with rubber bullets/salt if he doesn't. If at some point in the interaction he charges with the knife, real bullets are ok. You have multiple officers on scene. Some can have their guns drawn, others have non-lethal weapons drawn. You don't shoot someone who is walking away just because they are holding a knife. Cops should try to diffuse tense situations, not escalate them. It's what sane people try to do when confronted with conflict. Everyone has a right to defend themselves, but in this situation that is not what happened.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Regardless if you feel the killing was justified, how do you justify the subsequent police cover up? You may think the killing was justified, but the cops involved obviously knew it wasn't.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Regardless if you feel the killing was justified, how do you justify the subsequent police cover up? You may think the killing was justified, but the cops involved obviously knew it wasn't.

Or the SIXTEEN shots? That's pure insanity. I'm usually quicker to defend cops than the perp, but this cop can't be defended.
Geralt of Rivia
S
We had a cop show up to my uncle's house on Thursday. That ******* had the nerve to knock me out of the game in croquet
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Is the outrage over that he was shot, or that he was shot 16 times?
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Is the outrage over that he was shot, or that he was shot 16 times?

I think it's him being shot so quickly, then sixteen times, then the cover up.

The first could potentially be justified if you really thought he was close enough to use his knife. Nothing after that has any explanation.
Smee
****ing people
45-70Ag
AG
Being from Chicago, yeah the place is screwed up.

Corruption is part of the political culture and it's just overlooked.

I love going back home and miss it but I don't think we will ever move there.
BostonAg74
quote:
Regardless if you feel the killing was justified, how do you justify the subsequent police cover up?
That's the thing that probably hurts the public perception of cops the most. So many of these incidents (lethal and non-lethal) end up being accompanied by some weak official justification or cover-up. It's like there is no code of honor among cops, just a code of loyalty. The whole "or tolerate those who do" thing never enters into it. No, most cops are not murderers or racists or crooks. The problem is that there appears to be only a very small percentage of cops who will not tolerate (and even protect) those who are.
malenurse
AG
quote:
quote:

Shoot people as a last resort, not the first option, it's not that difficult. Talk to him first. Tell him to drop the knife. Warn him that he will be tazed and/or shot with rubber bullets/salt if he doesn't. If at some point in the interaction he charges with the knife, real bullets are ok. You have multiple officers on scene. Some can have their guns drawn, others have non-lethal weapons drawn. You don't shoot someone who is walking away just because they are holding a knife. Cops should try to diffuse tense situations, not escalate them. It's what sane people try to do when confronted with conflict. Everyone has a right to defend themselves, but in this situation that is not what happened.
Wow!!

Have you ever "talked" to someone on PCP, Kush, "bath salts" or the like. From your post, I would guess no.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Cops responding to the scene immediately know what drugs are in someone's system upon arriving? That's impressive!
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Cops responding to the scene immediately know what drugs are in someone's system upon arriving? That's impressive!

I'm guessing as much as cops, paramedics and firemen respond to places where people are high out of their minds, it's not hard to tell after a while.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
I'm usually quicker to defend cops than the perp,

OregonAggie
AG
What did the kid do before this to deserve to get shot? Breaking into cars...

If he'd killed or attacked someone beforehand, I'd understand the need for lethal force but this is ridiculous. Kid had a 3 inch knife and wasn't even charging the cops. There's no way to defend this crap.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Don't you give me that look
Mr. Random
Where is the videotape of the 4 detectives coming in to watch and delete the 86 missing minutes?
Picard
AG
Whenever a cop shoots someone they immediately get put on paid administrative leave while the investigation takes place. I bet the number of cop shootings would go way down if they changed the policy to UNPAID administrative leave.

LeonardSkinner
quote:
quote:

Police have lots of nonlethal options. Could easily taze or mace him from distance, for starters.

Easily... Not really.

The rule of thumb we were taught in LEO training is that someone within 20 feet can get to you before you can react with a weapon not at the ready. Tasers have a range of about 21-25 feet, and pepper sprays max out at about 15. So, at the outset, nonlethal weapons are only effective within that danger zone. Additionally, Taser barbs need to make solid contact (and the wires need to stay intact) to work, and are usually one shot weapons. Obviously any contact on the chest/neck/face is good for the spray, and can be used repeatedly.

I'm not saying anything about this situation in Chicago, just addressing misconceptions about those weapons.
vin1041
AG
That should be a red flag for anyone.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
That should be a red flag for anyone.

I'm not sure which of my posts you were quoting.
tmaggies
AG
Your a Idiot!!!!
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Your a Idiot!!!!

You're* an* idiot*
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.