Married folks...do you do 2 separate Thanksgiving meals for yours and your inlaws?

4,186 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And if so, are they both held on Thanksgiving day or on different days?
corndog04
AG
We don't go to either
Lex
Thanksgiving alternates. My mom and dad are divorced. So since both have Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving day at noon we alternate between the 2. Then Binders mom on Saturday, his dads on Sunday and Saturday night with the BFF! Same thing every year.
JABQ04
AG
Eat lunch with my family and eat dinner at my inlaws. Our parents are only 30-40 mins apart.
Ragoo
AG
My family one year hers the next alternating thanksgiving and Xmas.
MSCAg
AG
Lunch with my family, dinner at hers. When mine where in Dallas and hers in Houston, we'd do T-day in Houston and X-mas in Dallas (we didn't want to travel on Christmas).
45-70Ag
AG
We see my wife's parents fairly often and have a thanksgiving meal the weekend before thanksgiving with them and we normally travel to my parents every year
Jackass2004
AG
Every other year. Once the parents die off, then that will end and the tradition will reside at my house.
Beerosch
AG
My wife's family doesn't know what Thanksgiving is, and my family lives in a different country. So the answer is neither.
Humorous Username
AG
Years ago my grandmother told everyone in the family "I know that you all want to see as many family members as possible. I'd rather you all be with me the weekend before Thanksgiving and the weekend before Christmas then have to make a decision of where you want to go".

So that's what we do. My family the weekend before. My wife's family the day of.
Stone Cold
AG
Thanksgiving with my family every year. When the game is in College Station we eat lunch and then head to the game. When it's in Baton Rouge we spend the entire day with my family. We will head to the in-laws on Friday and hang with them for a day. Both sets of parents live in the same town and I head over to my parents house on Saturday to watch the game with my parents since both are Aggies. In-laws get butt hurt every other year because they think it's rude that I get up and head over to my parents house to watch the game. I could care less about hurting their feelings. My dad and I have watched the game together every year I've been alive except those years I was at A&M as a student. They can get over me not being there for a few hours.
ac04
wrong thread
Agmechanic
AG
Thanksgiving and christmas alternate
chjoak
AG
Our families live in the same town.
Thanksgiving - lunch with mine, dinner with hers
Xmas - eve with mine, day with hers
Ginormus Ag
AG
We alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My dream is to go to neither, sit at home alone in my sweat pants, watch football, and eat and drink until I pass out. But, my wife says that isn't "healthy".
Texker
AG
Thanksgiving at the in-laws who live 2 hours away.(Parents are invited but don't want to travel.) Christmas afternoon/evening at my parents, but in-laws stay with us for brunch.
aglaohfour
AG
I stopped going to my family's on holidays many years ago because my sister caused too much drama. Now she doesn't cause drama anymore, but I've established traditions with my in-laws and so we stay put for the actual days of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I do go celebrate Christmas with them on another day, usually a few days before.
histag10
AG
Alternate Christmas each year.

Celebrate thanksgiving with whoever comes up to see us. Too expensive to do 2 round trips that close together.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Everyone comes to College Station if the game is home, or to my Aunt and Uncle's house in Baton Rouge if the game is there. Grandma's house south of Houston for Christmas.

Mom's family live in Pennsylvania, and are Jehovah's witnesses, so they don't really do holidays.
fire09
AG
Thursday, Friday, her family. Sat, sun, my family. 4 fun days.
Pro Sandy
AG
I don't travel for holidays. With 4 kids, it is a hell of a lot easier for grandparents to come to us than for us to go see them.
Snake
AG
We don't travel with two small kids. We invite everyone to our house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. All are welcome and we cook. Today we have no one. So pumped. Just me and my favorite three ladies! Happy Thanksgiving all.
MouthBQ98
AG
Wife's family thursday, then maybe my father's extended family that afternoon later. Saturday is my mother's side of the family, so everyone can be there as much as possible. The food alone is worth it.

Unfortunately, I am overseas this year.
Chazz03
AG
You got married?
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Nope. Sure didn't.
45-70Ag
The Collective
AG
We did Thanksgiving with my family last night, but don't eat a T-Day meal there. We had chili and the younger generation made s'mores around a fire. Today, we go to the MIL'S place where I'll be spending 2 nights... shudder.
Vernada
AG
Thanksgiving is ours. Christmas is alternated every year. It's great to have a long weekend to kickoff the holiday season.
The Grinder (99)
AG
We have a fun holiday season. We do the week of thanksgiving at the in laws. They live 10 hours away, so this is usually the only time of year I go.

We do Christmas morning at our own house. And head to my parents that afternoon and stay the night.

My side is large, so long ago we opted to have a Christmas party on a date that all kids and in-laws can make it, so we usually have the Christmas party the week before, although this year we're doing it on the 26th.

Over the past few years we've been having a second thanksgiving also.

Both the rib and I get along well with our families do it works well. Always my favorite time of year.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
My Parents are both deceased. My Mother-in-law is a nurse and usually works on Thanksgiving Day.

Thanksgiving has been at our house for the last 10 years and will continue to be for as long as Mom-O-Lot wants to keep cooking it. We've had as many as 50 people (family and friends) here before. This year will probably be about 35.
aTm2004
AG
I get a free turkey from work, so I just have Thanksgiving at our house and invite both sides of the family...parents and siblings only. We have gone with my inlaws up to the family farm in Iowa a couple of times for Thanksgiving, which isn't too bad since we have 3k acres to screw around on with guns and UTVs.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'm the only person in my family living in Texas, so we either host the in-laws or go to their place.
Carlo4
AG
Just had a blowup in the family on Christmas.

The two couples with the little kids on my dad's side have 6 and 7 Christmas events, respectively, within 30 hours. These couples refuse to adjust this number, host a party, or alternate. They drive 400 miles in about 36 hours yet have had enough.

Normally Christmas Eve is when we meet. Never again. Moved a week or two ahead so the couples with kids can have all their events. They are spreading it out over a few weekends.

My mom explained driving around is part of the holidays and usually there is a compromise between everyone.

The young wives told my mom those days are over and that the youth dictate terms... one admitted to all the Christmas parties so she could save money on buying her daughter stuff. My mom wanted to punch her!
45-70Ag
AG
To hell with that, starting this Christmas we've told our parents if you want to see us at all, you travel. They're retired and it's much easier for them to do it.
Wife is an Aggie
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.