What makes food...."artisan"?

4,865 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Protrident
Scimitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
as opposed to just food?
chipotle
When you put a hot pocket in a toaster oven instead of a microwave.
Beer Baron
AG
About 75% more money.
Slicer97
AG
It was made by hand rather than an automated machine process.

Depending on the skill of the "artist" it may be superior, or just overpriced crap.
BigRobSA
Is it made in a restaurant in South Downtown South Park, or is it made in SoDoSoPa?

If the latter, "Artisan". Former, "food".
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Hipsters. The answer is "hipsters".
chipotle
artisan is to food what foodie is to fat people
80s Guy
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
A good sandwich artist is worth every bit of that six dollars.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Hipsters. The answer is "hipsters".

It's always hipsters.
Ragoo
AG
the Chef went to a culinary institute also known as an art school.
bmc13
AG
it's all in the bread
EFE
AG
.01 of garnish and 30sec of additional prep is apparently worth about a 75% mark-up
swc93
AG
Its not ketchup; its lightly seasoned pureed vine-grown tomatoes with finely ground sugar crystals and southern molasses.

$3.50 on the side
toucan82
****ing white people
The Collective
AG
I recently paid $20 for donuts (4 donuts in total) while on vacation. I admit that I didn't look at the prices. When I let out a verbal "whoa" at the price, the guy at the register informed me they pay a living wage to employees. LOL, a living wage to work at a ****ing donut shop. I heart millennials...

Oh, and, they also had a tip jar.
Human
AG
The term "artisan" makes you feel better for spending more money than what you know you should have.

It's like the term "organic".
BigRobSA
quote:
****ing white people
SeattleAgJr
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
****ing white people

racist
toucan82
I dislike all races equally
combat wombat™
AG
I serve only the finest artisan PB&J.
B-1 83
AG
What makes it "country style"? What makes it "wholesome"?
AliasMan02
AG
I usually equate "artisan" with something very ordinary, but done with a "fresh take." Like PB&J made with date preserves and potato bread, or mac and cheese served in an old running shoe.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Parsley
toucan82
quote:
I recently paid $20 for donuts (4 donuts in total) while on vacation. I admit that I didn't look at the prices. When I let out a verbal "whoa" at the price, the guy at the register informed me they pay a living wage to employees. LOL, a living wage to work at a ****ing donut shop. I heart millennials...

how were they?
jkag89
quote:

I bet the employees could not afford donuts at five dollars a pop even at whatever constitutes a "living wage."
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:

We pay our employees well (no tip jar though, because that's rificulous), and our donuts are still just 70 cents.
Slicer97
AG
With the exception of bars, tip jars are just a socially accepted method of begging.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
With the exception of bars, tip jars are just a socially accepted method of begging.
They serve their purpose.

If you go somewhere often, an extra $5 bill in the tip jar every so often can pay dividends. I drop in a $5 about once a week at my office coffee bar, and every time I go, the girl who works there sees me in line, makes my espresso shots ahead of time, and my coffee is ready by the time I get to the register to pay. And if I'm behind a secretary waffling between a double-syrup-choco-frappa-pumpkin-caramel-coffee shake w/ extra half-and-half or a skinny latte, she'll just ring me up, and hand me my drink while they're still pretending like they're conflicted about what to order.

Honestly, I'm amazed at how often I end up behind those people. You know you're going to get the one that's mostly ice cream. Just order the damn thing and be done with it.
Kashchei
AG
quote:

Ha! I would have laughed in his face, grabbed my money, and walked to the nearest Krispy Kreme or McDonald's.
SUPAGGIE
Artisan = food that matters, globally

Scimitar
AG
all food matters, globally
Slicer97
AG
I dunno. There's many parts of the world that wouldn't get much utilization from a Krispy Kreme. And I doubt I'll ever get hungry enough to gnaw on a yak spleen.
80s Guy
quote:
And I doubt I'll ever get hungry enough to gnaw on a yak spleen.
Betcha $5 ursusguy has a recipe for yak spleen....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.