MAROON WALL NEEDED - Harris County Deputy Funeral

3,486 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GottaRide
M-Neezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross Post From AO Board:

Ags -

One of my long time family friends is a Harris County Sheriffs Deputy and he has told me that there has been word put out that Westboro Baptist is going to protest the funeral for Officer Goforth's the deputy who was shot at the gas station in Houston. This is the last thing the Houston Law Enforcement Community needs while they mourn the loss of a brother. Aggies have a history of helping those in need and standing up against these crazies. Let's show the world again that we are a force for good.

I'm looking for volunteers to make a silent Maroon Wall around the viewing and possible funeral depending on if they come through with their threat. Even if they don't show up we can still be a respectful show of support for the grieving officers and their family. Address and other details are below and I will update as I have more info. Pass this along to other Aggies and let's make sure that the cops have their time to grieve without attention seekers and lunatics parading around.

Location -
Second Baptist Church
6400 Woodway Dr
Houston, TX 77057

Viewing Starts 10 AM Friday, suggest we get there early to establish a position
Funeral follows at the same location at 11 AM

Will post more details as I get them.
AggieDarlin
AG
Are you posting this on every single board?
The Wonderer
AG
The Maroon Wall working in CS because many students had time off. Most of us in Houston have jobs that we can't leave with the reason being "I have to go stand in a wall to keep WBC from being stupid."
rhoswen
AG
South Coast Jeeps was already doing something before anyone mentioned wbc. Let them handle it.
testosterbone
AG
M-Neezy
AG
You can have your opinion and yes I know that they probably won't show up. Yes I posted to a lot of boards. This isn't an internet rumor, it came from a deputy.

I'll just leave it at this post and move on. No need to call names.
superunknown
AG
quote:
That didn't stop a bunch of Aggies from breaking their arms while patting themselves on their back that they'd actually done something.
To be fair, we are really, really good at that.
malenurse
AG
quote:
This isn't an internet rumor, it came from a deputy.

And where did he get it from?
trouble
AG
It's too bad you feel that way because the family certainly appreciated it.
trouble
AG
Are you talking about the funeral for Roy Tisdale or something else?

If you are class of 17, you were still in high school for the Maroon Wall.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
No need to call names.
You don't come in to the GB and not get called names. I say you are a Nutt.
Amazing Moves
quote:
Second Baptist Church
6400 Woodway Dr
Houston, TX 77057

Aren't they Baptist? WTF is their problem? To what purpose does this benefit?

It's almost like they do it to market themselves at this point.
M-Neezy
AG
If the shoe fits...

but seriously, I am just going to join up with the Houston Jeeps group and drive my Jeep down there since response here has limited. Anybody who wants to go with me is welcome to join.
trouble
AG
That's exactly it.
Tagguy
AG
Really though I see no big deal with sharing this. Not hurting anyone and any additional show of support should be appreciated.
Tagguy
AG
Does your wife know you called it your Jeep
M-Neezy
AG
Westboro isn't really Baptist that I know of, on their own I think. Yes, they clearly do it to market themselves. That's their whole point and some believe showing up to shut them down on a threat gives them more publicity.
M-Neezy
AG
If I want her to know I'll tell her myself, thank you.
Tagguy
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
This was the Maroon Wall. Not whatever bs was done on campus.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1653002
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Maybe not then. I'm referring to their most recent trip here, last year. The student response to that was pathetic. It was also called the maroon wall by the people who "organized" it. I didn't realize they had been here twice.
The "original" was before your time, young padawan.
TRL-Ag
They're Baptist. I hear they're directly affiliated with Baylor...everything makes more sense if you look at it that way.
Post removed:
by user
M-Neezy
AG
I saw it on Houston Jeep Freaks group fb page.

They are meeting Friday morning at 8:30 am at the REI on Voss.
I Am A Critic

quote:
Is there posted info for this or is it just word of mouth?
WBC usually posts about it on their website and issues a press release. Someone hears about it, posts it on FB, and it spreads like wildfire. They do it all the time all over the U.S. It generates free publicity for them. They lead people to believe that they'll show up and then the day of they're nowhere to be found. It's a pretty effective strategy. Look at how M-Neezy and his Jeep folks are all gung-ho to go block a protest that won't happen. Look at the link above from the original "Maroon Wall". Other than a bunch of overzealous lemings standing out in the sun, there are no WBC members in any of the pictures.
M-Neezy
AG
What is your deal dude? If you don't like it don't open the thread. I already agreed they probably wouldn't show up and said that some people think this adds to WBC publicity. It's not "my" Jeep folks, I'm just tagging along with another group who isn't made up of a bunch of internet tough guys who have crap to say about everything. Lay off it already, we know you don't like it. Move on.
I Am A Critic
I'm sorry, pumpkin. I must've missed the part that said I can only post on your thread if I agree with you.
Post removed:
by user
Btron
AG
The maroon wall vs WBC is one tradition I do not want to see take off.
Why is it Aggie's responsibility to protest against their protest?
Post removed:
by user
YourFavAggie
AG
They are an extremely liberal anti conservative group trying to act so radically conservative that they actually push the liberal agenda.

/tinfoil hat off
Post removed:
by user
YourFavAggie
AG
quote:
Or they're just nuts.
Well that is obvious
GottaRide
S
I suspect there will be a significant blue wall there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.