Ronda Rousey fights again tonight?

23,851 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hot damn it took forever to scroll down and read all the posts thanks to the quotes of quotes.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
No video or gif of the fight?

chipotle
dat blurry bigfoot pose
toucan82
I really want to watch Straight Outta Compton now
Motel California
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
I enjoy how the thread started with "I didn't even know she was fighting today!" to breaking down her fights and explaining how she has weaknesses.

Which is it? Are you a women's MMA expert or do you care so little you didn't know she was fighting?

I have a hard time believing you didn't watch ESPN or visit their website in the last week. It's been plastered all over. Just admit you like watching her destroy butch women like the rest of us.

Are you insinuating she doesn't have a weakness?

Not at all. I was just pointing out you pretending like you didn't know she had a fight, and then you start analyzing her as a fighter.

It's ok to admit you like watching her fight. Doesn't make you cool to say "oh, uh, I didn't even know she was fighting".

I had no idea she was fighting. I haven't watched TV in weeks. I do though use ESPN.com daily
30_Days
AG
to try and get a little back on topic.

For those who know more about how the UFC works, if Rousey beefs up and adds another 10kg to move her up to the next weight class (the same one she wrestled in the olympics), how would that affect her current bantamweight title? Would she have to vacate it in order to fight in a heavier class?

Is there a precedent for a fighter moving up in weight because they're overly dominant in their current class?
toucan82
there is no heavier weight class for women in the UFC

some men who held championships would fight in a higher weight class occasionally but I can't think of any who completely switched
30_Days
AG
quote:
there is no heavier weight class for women in the UFC

some men who held championships would fight in a higher weight class occasionally but I can't think of any who completely switched
interesting, I did not know this. So is Cris "Cyborg" not even allowed to fight at all in the UFC unless she comes down into that weight class?
toucan82
pretty much
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
I always love whenever someone/team is dominant in their lower rung on the totem pole sport and people start questioning if they could compete with male professionals. Whether it's Alabama in college football, the USWNT in women's soccer, Kentucky in College Basketball, or Ronda in Women's UFC, someone always seems to ask the question. The answer is always no, not even close, not even the worst teams, or in Ronda's case, worst UFC fighter. In the years of Mia Hamm's USWNT, they lost to a select team of Southern California teenagers all around 14-16 years old by a score of 6-0. Or how about Billie Jean King in her prime and regarded as one of the best female tennis players ever, needing 3 sets and the ability to use the doubles lines (a HUGE advantage) to beat an out of shape 50 year old former professional tennis player? How did Michelle Wie fair on the men's tour? Enough with the ridiculous comparisons. Ronda is great, but there is no way she could compete with men in the highest level of competition. She could potentially be killed, if that was allowed to happen.
I agree except Kentucky could have beaten the Philadelphia 76ers at the start of the 2014 NBA season. They had a very rusty Nerlens Noel who was coming back from an injury that kept him out of an entire season and a bunch of D-leaguers + NBA journeymen.

That's a rare exception though. The 76ers weren't simply a bad team nevertheless full of NBA-level players, but were a team that was designed from the ground up to lose, and they intentionally raided the D-league to help them on their mission. As a funny plot twist, their coach might actually be pretty good, because he had a roster of sub-NBA crap looking like a real NBA team by the end of the year. Not a good one, but they weren't a complete laughing stock (I remember surfing over to ESPN toward the beginning of the year and Dallas was beating Philadelphia something like 75-28. Then they played the Spurs a couple of nights later and lost by 40-50 again. They honestly weren't an NBA team).

I'm not ready to say that the junior high all stars could beat a WNBA team. They aren't strong enough at that age and a lot of them are still growing into their bodies. But any random team in the top half of high school 5A could. They've aged through the puberty-wrought clumsiness and have speed and strength to go with their size.

And whoever used the Spurs as an example of "you don't need to be athletic at all and that's why women can be every bit as good as men!" come on. They're still elite players with plenty of athleticism and speed. Kawhi Leonard is an athletic freak. Duncan has tons of lower body power that he uses to abuse people in the post. Parker was a step slower than he was in his prime, but he was still damn fast.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
quote:
I always love whenever someone/team is dominant in their lower rung on the totem pole sport and people start questioning if they could compete with male professionals. Whether it's Alabama in college football, the USWNT in women's soccer, Kentucky in College Basketball, or Ronda in Women's UFC, someone always seems to ask the question. The answer is always no, not even close, not even the worst teams, or in Ronda's case, worst UFC fighter. In the years of Mia Hamm's USWNT, they lost to a select team of Southern California teenagers all around 14-16 years old by a score of 6-0. Or how about Billie Jean King in her prime and regarded as one of the best female tennis players ever, needing 3 sets and the ability to use the doubles lines (a HUGE advantage) to beat an out of shape 50 year old former professional tennis player? How did Michelle Wie fair on the men's tour? Enough with the ridiculous comparisons. Ronda is great, but there is no way she could compete with men in the highest level of competition. She could potentially be killed, if that was allowed to happen.
I agree except Kentucky could have beaten the Philadelphia 76ers at the start of the 2014 NBA season. They had a very rusty Nerlens Noel who was coming back from an injury that kept him out of an entire season and a bunch of D-leaguers + NBA journeymen.

That's a rare exception though. The 76ers weren't simply a bad team nevertheless full of NBA-level players, but were a team that was designed from the ground up to lose, and they intentionally raided the D-league to help them on their mission. As a funny plot twist, their coach might actually be pretty good, because he had a roster of sub-NBA crap looking like a real NBA team by the end of the year. Not a good one, but they weren't a complete laughing stock (I remember surfing over to ESPN toward the beginning of the year and Dallas was beating Philadelphia something like 75-28. Then they played the Spurs a couple of nights later and lost by 40-50 again. They honestly weren't an NBA team).

I'm not ready to say that the junior high all stars could beat a WNBA team. They aren't strong enough at that age and a lot of them are still growing into their bodies. But any random team in the top half of high school 5A could. They've aged through the puberty-wrought clumsiness and have speed and strength to go with their size.

And whoever used the Spurs as an example of "you don't need to be athletic at all and that's why women can be every bit as good as men!" come on. They're still elite players with plenty of athleticism and speed. Kawhi Leonard is an athletic freak. Duncan has tons of lower body power that he uses to abuse people in the post. Parker was a step slower than he was in his prime, but he was still damn fast.

My point on the Spurs comparison was that the Heat was a TON more athletic. Yet they made their wins look easy, because they played fundamental basketball. that was it, pointing out that fundamentals can often help to overcome the athleticism deficit.

Rousey does the same thing. She's VERY good at Judo. And uses it to destroy everyone she fights. It wouldn't matter that much if they were more athletic. She's way more experienced...
Motel California
S
Kill this thread with fire
Ag with kids
AG
BTW, that WNBA team would win because they're actually men. Have you not seen most of them? (Becky Hammon, excepted, because she's hot)...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could 2014 Spurs have beaten the 1992 Dream Team?
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
whoever used the Spurs as an example of "you don't need to be athletic at all

Wait...someone said this with a straight face?!
Deputy Travis Junior
The Heat were a TON more athletic than the Spurs? I hate to burst your bubble, but you've got it backwards. The Spurs were a lot more athletic than the Heat.

LeBron: obviously a freak and the most athletic guy on the floor.
Wade: was showing very real signs of age. Kawhi freaking abused him athletically.
Bosh: was about 30 and had tons of miles on the odometer. He wasn't/isn't "done" but he definitely wasn't explosive
Ray Allen: was 39 years old
Mario Chalmers: average NBA athlete
Rashard Lewis: was 34 pushing 35
Chris Anderson: was 36 years old
Norris Cole: average NBA athlete
James Jones: was 33 years old
Udonis Haslem: was 34 years old
Shane Battier: was 35 years old

I mean come on. That's looks like the cast for an Expendables movie.

Other than Lebron, name one guy that was more athletic than:
Kawhi Leonard
Tony Parker
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Danny Green
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kentucky would have no chance beating the 76ers.
PatAg
AG
This guy must have daughters, it's the only explanation.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Kentucky would have no chance beating the 76ers.
They honestly would have had a chance early on in the season. Go look at the rosters, man. Kentucky literally had more first round talent than the 76ers, and the 76ers big-name first round pick was coming off of a major knee injury and was rusty and slow and wasn't playing like a first round talent.

Again, the 76ers weren't a real NBA team, so they don't exactly count. They were a bunch of very young D-leaguers (almost completely neutralizing the humongous experience and maturity advantage than any normal NBA team would have over a college team) and journeyman assembled to lose game to ultimately increase the team's draft position. They're like the modern, NBA version of the Cleveland Spiders. But, since they were at least competing in the NBA (I use the word competing loosely), we have to pretend that they actually were an NBA team.
Jacques
I don't think he's a big basketball fan.
30_Days
AG
quote:
I don't think he's a big basketball fan.
well it is the worst sport
Bruce Almighty
AG
They're professional athletes that even as bad NBA players are the elite of the elite in the world with no restrictions on practice time. They're grown men that still beat other NBA teams. Kentucky needed double overtime to beat a crappy A&M team. You may be a bigger basketball fan than me but I refuse to believe that a college team can beat an NBA team. Just like Bama couldn't score a point against the winless Detroit Lions from a few years ago. The gap between college and pro is astronomical.
Deputy Travis Junior
They were professional athletes who were playing in the D-league. In other words, the grand majority of that team should not have been playing in the NBA and was only doing so because the team's management was intentionally trying to lose games. The depths to which the 76ers sank in order to lose games was honestly unprecedented in NBA history. For awhile, they were below the minimum required salary and were actually paying a penalty because of this. Let that sink in.

Kentucky had 4 players drafted in the top 13 of the 1st round (this is unequivocally more top end talent than Philadelphia had, especially with Noel playing rusty at the start of the season) and another 2 players drafted in the 2nd round. They probably had another player or two who could have been drafted, but didn't declare.

Against most teams, Kentucky's youth and lack of experience would expose them, not to mention that a couple will flame out and not contribute. But against a bunch of young D-leaguers, a rusty Noel, and Wroten (a legit player)? It no kidding would have been a good 7 game series.

Do a few Google searches. There are talent scouts working in the NBA that thought the same thing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sorry, but I don't buy it. Kentuckys potential may be higher, but that potential still struggled against A&M while those D league players were beating nba teams. Maybe if Kentucky played a few games against other nba teams, they would have a chance, but they aren't walking onto and nba court, with zero experience against nba players and beating an nba team.
Jacques
quote:

14 is young. But just watching some of these kids play, they're well into puberty. Seems like younger guys are developing faster and faster.

The seven footer in the top 15 is skinny and raw. But he would swat every shot these 5-11 women around him put up. And then some.

The shot blocking is an element of men's basketball that doesn't exist much for women. It's not part of the game. Guys that roam the paint just taking out shots...they have no counterpart in the WNBA. That's huge.

There are probably 20 or so guys in the NBA that block 1.5 shots or more a game. I bet there aren't 10 in the WNBA. I bet the disparity really expands when you move down to a single blocked shot a game. And I bet Griner probably blocks close to 5 shots a game, which should tell you something--a freak athlete will keep **** out of the lane against women. Imagine having three very talented Griners on the floor at any one time. And this doesn't even take into account shots adjusted on account of a shot blocker. And--this is big--these men are facing other tall men.
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
The Heat were a TON more athletic than the Spurs? I hate to burst your bubble, but you've got it backwards. The Spurs were a lot more athletic than the Heat.

Wade: was showing very real signs of age. Kawhi freaking abused him athletically.
Bosh: was about 30 and had tons of miles on the odometer. He wasn't/isn't "done" but he definitely wasn't explosive

Kawhi Leonard
Tony Parker
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Danny Green

I'm a spurs fan, just so you know.

The Spurs won (and keep winning) because fundamentals...'
Jacques
Could Britney Griner dunk over two people off a trampoline?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2540612-middle-schoolers-kyree-walker-and-jaime-jaquez-drop-jaws-in-dunk-contest

These kids are not nearly as remarkable as Bleacher Report makes them out to be. Both these guys are pretty small and not int the top 15 players nationally. They are also both 10050% more athletic than the most athletic player in the WNBA.
Jacques
quote:
quote:

Kawhi Leonard
Tony Parker
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Danny Green

Is that why you think Kawhi Leonard isn't athletic?

Why don't you admit you didn't see even 5 spurs games last year?
RodTidwell
quote:
Or how about Billie Jean King in her prime and regarded as one of the best female tennis players ever, needing 3 sets and the ability to use the doubles lines (a HUGE advantage) to beat an out of shape 50 year old former professional tennis player?
I understand your point of view but your history lesson is a bit off. King had to win 3 sets, it was a best of 5 and the the game was played under normal tennis rules. The doubles lines were not used. They have been used in similar events but not the King-Riggs match.

Geralt of Rivia
S
staticdoor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wasting your time Jacque. These politically correct morons can't accept this truth. Apparently it's mysogenistic.
it has nothing to do with political correctness!

It is absolutely misogynistic, not to mention downright idiotic, to claim that a 14 year old male child who's been playing a game for a few years against other children would stand a shadow of a chance against grown women in their prime who've worked their way to the top of their sport and compete daily against similarly talented and dedicated grown women.

A few years? Seriously? Top notch basketball talent in jr has more than a few years under its belt.

There is a 6-11 25lb power forward in Florida right now. 14. Is there any way a shot gets to the rim with him in the lane?
so your evidence is 1 lanky kid in the country? what kind of talent has he played against? How is he going to get to the rim if he never gets the ball in the first place, or can't dribble it for more than 6 inches without it being taken away from him?

You think he can just carry it over his head across the court?

So I take it you haven't bothered as part of this to look up any of the top jr high kids in the country.

What are you debating this based on? Just the jr high kids you know?

Are all those top jr high kids on the same team?
No. But it would hardly be fair to take a pro team of the absolute best women without compiling SOME form of similar all star team for boys. At least statewide.

This is freaking dumb as hell! You seriously sound like an idiot. Boys in jr high are between 12-14 years old. Good freaking lord. If the point is that men are more athletic than women. Well no freaking ****! The McDonald All-American team of boys would likely beat a WNBA team. See how easy it is to make a REASONABLE analogy that also makes your point?

By saying jr. high (by 40 no less) you are making it obvious you are a total misogynist.

It is PETA saying insects have feelings crazy or omg the fish! who will think of the fish! You are going way too far and effectively have shut off anyone with half a brain from listening to you.

Rousey would lose to a male at her same weight, training etc. Duh. Are you now going to say she would lose to a jr high boy?
Ag with kids
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Kawhi Leonard
Tony Parker
Patty Mills
Cory Joseph
Danny Green

Is that why you think Kawhi Leonard isn't athletic?

Why don't you admit you didn't see even 5 spurs games last year?
Well, I've never said Kawhi isn't athletic, so you're starting out with a false premise...

And I think I MISSED about 5 Spurs games last year...
suburban cowboy
AG
Anybody hear about the "Ronda ArouseMe: Grounded and Pounded" porno they are making?
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.