What do you think of this?

5,495 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by marble rye
unimboti nkum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
haircut
AG
I think no harm done, by placing the sign. Personally, I'd respect the guy's wishes and go elsewhere.

Edit for clarity
nuRowdy
I assume your last handle was deleted for a reason and as a rule... people suck until proven otherwise.
HBCanine08
AG
PTSD is no joke.
AgsLv44
AG
I have no problem with the signs.
marble rye
AG
A friend's dad was in vietnam, and I quote, "could not handle fireworks or eating at asian restaurants."
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
PTSD is no joke.
Eliminatus
AG
These signs caused a bit of a ruckus among the vet community around the 4th. Rather hot topic apparently.

One side was for them and respecting the wishes of the vets. The other was rather incredulous and insisted that the vet wear ear plugs that day so everyone else could enjoy. Oh and also that they were being kinda poonish.

I tend to fall in the second camp. But I can understand the first's.
CAR96
AG
I had a great uncle that served on a WWII battleship and about every 20-30 seconds he would twitch and cringe until his dying day because of all the firing of guns off the ship. He didn't have pain or PTSD, just a flinch like movement one might make when getting a cold body chill.
hunterntexas
AG
Having hit the ground because of fireworks, I understand the meaning behind it, but fireworks have been going on for years. Why the sudden concern?
I have no problem with the sign, but it won't deter my enjoyment of them.
unimboti nkum
AG
I find it sad and ironic that people who defended our freedom end up traumatized by the way we celebrate the same freedom.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
I had a great uncle that served on a WWII battleship and about every 20-30 seconds he would twitch and cringe until his dying day because of all the firing of guns off the ship. He didn't have pain or PTSD, just a flinch like movement one might make when getting a cold body chill.
That may well have been just straight nerve damage. The medical community is just now starting to even think about, much less understand, the damage that repeated concussive blasts have on the body. Back in the 40's? They were clueless about it. Sad to hear about him. I hope he managed at least a decent level of living in spite of that.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:

That breaks my heart.

I had a lot of current and former military friends get all bent out of shape about those signs around the 4th. I do see where they're coming from, but as someone who has never seen combat I personally prefer to respect the wishes of those who have when it comes to something like this. We live in town, so don't shoot our own fireworks. But if we were thinking about doing so and saw a neighbor with this sign, we would make other plans.
CanyonAg77
AG
Why put up a sign that practically begs (anal orifices) to set off fireworks under your window?

Fireworks are illegal in every town in the country, so the only people popping them in town anyway are the jerks.

"Hey jerks, over here!"
30_Days
AG
I've seen a few people talking about this in the vets community. Most of them are doing it as a general way of raising awareness of PTSD, rather than to actually try and protect themselves from fireworks. Seeing a sign like this might not get somebody not to set off fireworks, but at least it might make them think a little bit about what fireworks MIGHT be problematic for somebody, and what that means.

and btw, this last 4th of July at least 1 veteran that I know of did commit suicide after having a PTSD episode triggers by fireworks. so there's that.
CAR96
AG
Thanks for your concerns; he lived a great life and did many great things. He even had a role in developing beep baseball for blind people.

I wouldn't pop fireworks if I saw that sign in my neighbors yard & I would encourage others to not pop them as well.
NJ75AGfdt
Fireworks are legal in outlying county areas not covered by city jurisdiction. I can see how someone with PTSD can have issues, especially after 2400 hrs when most people are trying to sleep.

Earplugs can help...if you can get used to them.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
Cowboy1990
Show respect and honor there wish.

Edit for spelling
Human
AG
*their
Post removed:
by user
Odin
AG
The point of the sign was for neighbors to notify them that they were planning on setting off fireworks. Just the warning that one of your neighbors would be setting them off would help with the complete suprise when the first one lights.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I definitely see it as an invitation for a dick to be a dick. I wouldn't do it but there's a lot of crappy people in this world who would.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
Show respect and honor there wish.

Edit for spelling

This is after your edit?
Frederick Palowaski
AG
I would respect their wishes.

I wouldn't want this happening after setting off a few bottle rockets.

MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Fireworks are illegal in every town in the country, so the only people popping them in town anyway are the jerks.
Not even close. They are perfectly legal in MANY towns.
Human
AG
I'm going to be in the minority here but why should many have to go out of their(not there) way for one person?

Again, just because he served, an entire neighborhood can't enjoy fireworks?

I'd buy him dinner at a his fav restaurant for one night away from the noise.

I'm cool like that.
DCC99
AG
quote:
I'm going to be in the minority here but why should many have to go out of their(not there) way for one person?

Again, just because he served, an entire neighborhood can't enjoy fireworks?

I'd buy him dinner at a his fav restaurant for one night away from the noise.

I'm cool like that.
Agree. The 4th and NY Eve are the 2 nights where people shouldn't get bent out of shape due to people staying up and shooting fireworks. A vocal minority (even if coming from a legitimate place) shouldn't ruin the fun for the majority.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
quote:
Not even close. They are perfectly legal in MANY towns.
Name of such towns? I don't find where it's legal in any Texas city

And to an above poster, if you set them off in town, I don't care what time it is, you're a jerk. After 10pm, you're a super jerk.

Bruce Almighty
AG
They're legal where I live.
NativeTxn
quote:
These signs caused a bit of a ruckus among the vet community around the 4th. Rather hot topic apparently.

One side was for them and respecting the wishes of the vets. The other was rather incredulous and insisted that the vet wear ear plugs that day so everyone else could enjoy. Oh and also that they were being kinda poonish.

I tend to fall in the second camp. But I can understand the first's.
How anyone could consider any war veteran who was involved in combat "kinda poonish" is beyond me! I consider them a hero for serving our country and protecting our freedoms, often without much consideration or thanks. Not to mention all the political agenda's they end up fighting for and losing their lives over, which isn't likely what they signed up for, but I guess that's a topic for another day.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
They're legal where I live.

Which is??????
Bruce Almighty
AG
Nixa, MO.
CanyonAg77
AG
We're talking about real towns (Texas)
Bruce Almighty
AG
Your first post said country.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.