People that do this

15,596 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Catch
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a friend's wife ask if I've found a good church, yet, as an icebreaker. Politely told her I hadn't found one yet, failed to mention I stopped looking 10 years ago. Do people not realize how awkward this question is given the large percentage of people that are either not Christian or don't go to church, period?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TriAg2010
AG
T&Ps for your triggers.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Why don't you just tell them you don't go to church instead of being a lil b?
45-70Ag
AG
About the same as doctors asking patients how many firearms are in your house.
Human
AG
quote:
About the same as doctors asking patients how many firearms are in your house.

BOOM!!!
cisgenderedAggie
It's not that large of a percentage.

Minorities should know where they stand in society.
Claude!
Just tell them that you're spiritual but not religious.
wbt5845
AG
As a Catholic, I always chuckle and tell people the pope tells me what church to go to.
TSUAggie
Tell them you're the devil and you are after their soul. They will probably leave you alone after that.
Mr. White
Try not to kill any patients while dealing with your mental anguish.
Beer Baron
AG
I usually just hiss as if their question physically stung me, then run shrieking out of the room.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Had a friend's wife ask if I've found a good church, yet, as an icebreaker. Politely told her I hadn't found one yet, failed to mention I stopped looking 10 years ago. Do people not realize how awkward this question is given the large percentage of people that are either not Christian or don't go to church, period?

It'd probably be less awkward if you'd just be honest with them, so she doesn't think that she is asking you a question that she believes is relevant to you.
superunknown
AG
quote:
The people who ask this cannot fathom someone not going to church, so it's not awkward for them to ask.
Beer Baron
AG
I spent 6 weeks in Amarillo for an internship once, and in week 2 my boss asked if I'd "found a church home there" yet. I still don't know how I could have possibly found one in such a short period of time even if I'd been looking for one, or how it could count as a "home" when I'd be leaving that hell hole in a month anyway.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
The people who ask this cannot fathom someone not going to church, so it's not awkward for them to ask.

Not really an awkward answer either. Just be honest. On the grand scale of misconceptions and nuisance, this seems pretty lame.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Do you really think a majority of americans go to church?

I imagine the number of those who even define themselves as religious is in steep decline.
riverrataggie
AG
I heard only 30-40% do. Not sure I like that and I'm in no way a get in your face about it
superunknown
AG
I doubt a majority of Americans regularly attend church but in the areas where Aggies are most likely to be, I'd guess it's an overwhelming majority.
BassCowboy33
It's not like asking, "Do you like anal?". It doesn't sound like it was asked in a threatening way. I'm just not seeing the big deal here.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
It's not like asking, "Do you like anal?". It doesn't sound like it was asked in a threatening way. I'm just not seeing the big deal here.

It's not. OP is a vagina.
fta09
AG
quote:
Do people not realize how common of an icebreaker this question should be given the majority of Americans identify as Christian?

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I'm guessing a majority of those who identify as christian do not attend church
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Huge difference between identifying as Christian and being active. I identify as a big defender of the 1st and 2nd Amendments, but am neither a member of the ACLU nor NRA.

I don't think the wife meant any harm. It's a naive assumption on her part that you have shared beliefs. No biggie.

Also, Rule 1 on the wife. How in the name of a Mohammed caricature have we gone this far??
swimmerbabe11
I can't believe nobody realized what happened here.

Your wife's friend mistook you for someone who had told her they were looking for a church in the area.
She probably forgot which one your her husband's dumb friends you are.
Eliminatus
AG
You act like there is something to be ashamed of.

And that's on you. Not them.

combat wombat™
AG
Why didn't you just tell he that you weren't/aren't looking for a church? Or that you don't attend church?
nuRowdy
Should have honked her boobs
HBCanine08
AG
Agree with OP
Human
AG
quote:
Agree with OP

Mas puto
Gomer95
AG
Maybe she was just being nice and asking because she wanted to invite you to her church. Do you know how many people I've heard that said "I kind of wanted to come to church but no one ever asked me." Don't be mad about it, just be nice and if you don't want to go then just tell her "No thanks I haven't but thanks for asking" or even just "No thanks." No need to be all upset about it or let it bother you.
haircut
AG
OP thinks people pay him to socialize. OP has social skills of a pet rock.

Seriously, passive aggressive behavior is not a good socializing characteristic. I'm glad you kept your character defects in check and brought them to the GB, where we accept all defects.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I've been asked "what church do you go to?" I do go to church and I still feel judged by that question. It's nobody's business but my own.
Besides, I usually get a negative response when I reply that I'm Episcopalian. This is useful in annoying my judgy baptist inlaws.
SquadsRight
AG
I agree with OP. It's not good social behavior to assume someone is looking for a church. I don't randomly ask people if they have found a good mosque, or a good scout troop, or a good bible study group.

Reasonable social interaction would be to first find out if a person is religious then ask about their Church. Don't just jump in with the assumption that they are religious and start asking them if they have found a good "church home". Its seem a little weasely and passive aggressive (whether it was intended that way or not).
bagger05
AG
Next time just respond like this:

Gerald Tarrant
Maybe if you followed the teachings of God, you would find that He can provide a spiritual home to you no matter where you are.

#FollowTheScriptures #OneWifeThreeHoles #PostAPictureOfYourBreasts #DestroyTheDome
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.