To-go orders

9,291 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Cromagnum
COOL LASER FALCON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
My son works at Outback and does their to go orders. They are paid waiters wages, not minimum wage. They also do more than just take orders and take it out to the cars. They box up the food, the cooks do not, and make sure everything is as ordered. They make sure all the extras are in the bag. If drinks are ordered, they get those together.
wow does he have to pay for his own back brace or does the restaurant cover that? Does he get hazard pay?
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
They **** you at the drive through

I've been going to the wrong drive throughs
FriendlyAg
quote:
My son works at Outback and does their to go orders. They are paid waiters wages, not minimum wage. They also do more than just take orders and take it out to the cars. They box up the food, the cooks do not, and make sure everything is as ordered. They make sure all the extras are in the bag. If drinks are ordered, they get those together. They do just as much for you as a waiter, except for refilling a drink.

Sorry for not sympathizing, but when I walk into pay, stand there, remind them that I need silver wear and I walk out, I'm not tipping.

It's no different than getting chipotle or BBQ. If I go to a counter and I never sit down, I'm not tipping. I'm simply buying my food.

If he isn't getting paid minimum at that job, then he's getting screwed. Unless he gets a portion of the tips from the main floor. Otherwise, look at all other walk up and order restaurants.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I worked at Carrabba's (owned by the same company) and I literally did nothing but ring up the orders and cashed them out. If it was slow and no expo, I put the already boxed food in a bag, but that was it. If I got tipped, great, if I didn't I really didn't care.
Picard
AG
I don't understand why people expect tips when Obama already raised their wages to $15/hour.

Claude!
Depends, but generally 5-10%. Not because I necessarily think they're working hard, but I'm insecure and don't want the guy or gal boxing up my Alice Springs Chicken to think I'm cheap.
MicheIangeIo
AG
no
DannyDuberstein
AG
If they seemed to do much to assemble it, I'll tip a dollar and change (whatever rounds). If they just got handed a bag or the cook is putting the food on a shelf right behind them and all they're doing is putting it in a bag, then probably not.

For those of you that don't tip, I assume you don't tip bartenders for pouring your drinks either?
onceaggie
AG
yes Im not poor or cheap.

some you must live really ****ty lives.
FriendlyAg
quote:
If they seemed to do much to assemble it, I'll tip a dollar and change (whatever rounds).

For those of you that don't tip, I assume you don't tip bartenders for pouring your drinks either?

I will tip if they make a mixed drink. Opening a beer bottle? Or pouring something neat? Hell no. If someone brings me drinks, even beer, I'll tip. But if all you do is pull it out of the fridge and take the cap off, then no. I'm not tipping 1 dollar for my 3 dollar beer when no service was provided.
Talon2DSO
AG
The difference between a great bartender/server and a bad one is the great one will remember the good and bad tippers. The bad one will be completely apathetic. The great one will tailor their efforts accordingly while the bad ones will treat everyone crappy.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
If they seemed to do much to assemble it, I'll tip a dollar and change (whatever rounds).

I tip based on effort involved. Always leave something though. Even if it's rounding up to nearest dollar, ex 3.50 to 4.00 if just stopping for a cold beer.

Other question though, do the self righteous ones on this board tip hotel maids?
Tanya 93
Yes
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, I'll leave some $$$ on the last day or if I made some sort of cleaning request mid-stay that wouldn't have normally been done in the middle of a guest's stay (like asking them to change the sheets mid-stay, etc).
Talon2DSO
AG
One night stay at a roadside hotel (e.g. holiday inn, Hampton) nope. Two or more nights at a boutique or executive hotel, about $10-20 per day depending on the quality and location of hotel.

Ragoo
AG
quote:
Yes, I'll leave some $$$ on the last day or if I made some sort of cleaning request mid-stay that wouldn't have normally been done in the middle of a guest's stay (like asking them to change the sheets mid-stay, etc).
you leave money? How do you know it makes it to any specific person?
toucan82
just the tip
Bruce Almighty
AG
I tip per day because you may not have the same maid every time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, I leave money. Presumably, it makes it to the person that enters my room in order to clean my room. I do not ask Esmerelda for her banking or tax information in order to facilitate a wire transaction.

I should probably do per day, but I'm not a slob whose room typically needs a lot of effort mid-stay (not that people who tip per day are), so I tend to just wait for the end.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Yes, I leave money. Presumably, it makes it to the person that enters my room in order to clean my room. I do not ask Esmerelda for her banking or tax information in order to facilitate a wire transaction.

I should probably do per day, but I'm not a slob whose room typically needs a lot of effort mid-stay (not that people who tip per day are), so I tend to just wait for the end.
I guess my point is if you stay 3 nights and after the first two the maid service had a change over and someone new was cleaning your place the first person gets nothing. Seems odd to me.
The Wonderer
AG
I don't have my room cleaned while extended staying because I'm not a slob and don't need the hotel to waste resources cleaning stuff that I'm going to use again.
FCBlitz
Depends on how nice her boobs are.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
Even with a "to go" person, they aren't boxing up the food, the cooks are. The cooks aren't going to put the food on a plate just to have the to go person put it in a box. Any restaurant that does that is extremely inefficient.

Not at every restaurant and not all the time, but there are restaurants that have the to go person box the food and add the appropriate to go sides or sauces because the kitchen is too busy making food for dine in.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
My son works at Outback and does their to go orders. They are paid waiters wages, not minimum wage. They also do more than just take orders and take it out to the cars. They box up the food, the cooks do not, and make sure everything is as ordered. They make sure all the extras are in the bag. If drinks are ordered, they get those together. They do just as much for you as a waiter, except for refilling a drink.

This is why i always tip, for scenarios like that.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

Sorry for not sympathizing, but when I walk into pay, stand there, remind them that I need silver wear and I walk out, I'm not tipping.

It's no different than getting chipotle or BBQ. If I go to a counter and I never sit down, I'm not tipping. I'm simply buying my food.

If he isn't getting paid minimum at that job, then he's getting screwed. Unless he gets a portion of the tips from the main floor. Otherwise, look at all other walk up and order restaurants.

That's not very friendly, ag. Is it really that uncommon to tip at places like Chipotle or Pei Wei type places? I tip there too.
Gigemchicken90
AG
I tip well because I am thankful for them. I especially tip well if it's a student. I am blessed and I know how hard servers work.
Seven Costanza
AG
I tip the kid based on whatever is inside the box that he picked up and placed into the bag. If I ordered a steak instead of a sandwich, then that kid clearly deserves more money from me and I change my tip to accordingly.
Human
AG
I ask them to hold out their hand, then I quickly pull their hand toward me and spit in their palm.
tford12
AG
like a dollar maybe
FriendlyAg
I see tipping as paying for a service that is above and beyond what I am already paying for.

I think of getting food at pei Wei or chipotle just like going to the grocery store and getting some butcher meats, deli meats, ect. They prepared food for me, wrapped it, handed it to me, while I stood there. That's their job. I then pay for the goods, and leave. I don't tip the cashier or butcher at the grocery store. At chipotle it's the preparers job to prepared the bowls or burritos. The cost of their wage is factored into the price of the food. A tip is an extra amount I would give if someone did something above and beyond what I'm already paying for.

Typically I will tip if someone has to carry anything for me over 20 pounds, They physically go out of their way to come to where I am, they provide some sort of commentary on what I should or shouldn't order, or if they use any sort of expert skill.

Tipping is incentive/variable pay. The idea that we all have to tip all the time because they don't make enough is good in heart, but you're just trying to raise their base pay, which is a factor of the job they are in, not that I'm not willing to not tip at chipotle.
30_Days
AG
When I was a youngin' working in a restaurant I didn't care at all if somebody didn't tip on a take-out order. They weren't taking up a table and they weren't taking any of my time, so in the end it didn't affect my bottom line.
MouthBQ98
AG
$1-2 for carryout.
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:
not that I'm not willing to not tip at chipotle.

I feel like I deserve a tip just for trying to understand you
Bruce Almighty
AG
The amount of people you're supposed to tip in this country is ridiculous. Who the hell tips the mailman?
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
yes Im not poor or cheap.

some you must live really ****ty lives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.