Can you imagine the life in a small town?

17,676 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mike_ags_fan12
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You wake up real early in the morning, and take a whiff of that fresh country air. Your house sits on thirteen acres of land. First thing you do is get in the UTV and drive over to the stables to feed the horses. The horses are glad to see you, as they neigh as if to say good morning. As you walk out of the stable, you careen over to see your cows are already grazing pasture. The cows are a backdrop to the woods that cover half your land, and you notice a deer stroll looking for food.

You go back to your house, and your wife has the breakfast ready. You are having the usual: fried eggs picked fresh from your very own hen house, thick slices of bread from the country baker in your town, unpasteurized milk from your own cows, and Folgers Coffee.

Your wife and children are at the table, and after saying grace, everyone indulges in the hearty breakfast. You look at the time, and it's already 7:15 AM. Your job starts at 8:00 AM. No worries, you think, the 20 mile trip to work will only take 20 minutes. After all, there is no traffic in the country, like in the big cities.

Your Ford F350 pulls into the drive way at exactly 7:50 AM. The sign at the door spells out the county's name. You have a great job at the county. Great benefits, annual cost of living adjustments, relaxed work environment, great like minded coworkers and figuratively no competition. Not like a job in the big city with a faceless megacorporation; ever diminishing benefits, performance-based raises, tense work environment, and constant fear of losing your job.

You start work at 8:30 AM, after your second cup of coffee and chit chatting with the coworkers. Around 9:00 AM, office wide email says that the pies are here. Once again, like for the past 6 years, this county office won the annual pie competition. The winning pies are all in the breakroom, ready to be devoured. As you chow down on the pies, conversation flows. Everyone is talking about the upcoming county elections. Some city slicker has moved in and he thinks he can beat the 20 year incumbent Sherrif. No sir, as everyone shakes their head in unison to indicate that no outsider is going to tell them what to do.

Then you go back to work, and spend the rest of the day just chit chatting, and having a good time.

That's life man
Wildman15
AG
What pill did you pop before writing this? I'm from a small town and this is not it at all
suburban cowboy
AG
Best thing I've read this year so far
lancevance
quote:
What pill did you pop before writing this? I'm from a small town and this is not it at all
You know how there are Americans who idolize the life in Europe, even though they have never been to Europe? Or they went to Europe on a two week trip and are now "experts" in European life, history and politics?

Yeah, it's kind of like that with me and small towns.

Motel California
S
You're weird
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
performance-based raises

In what universe is this bad
Wildman15
AG
I love my hometown and pretty much every small town I've been to, but that was painful to read.
lancevance
quote:
quote:
performance-based raises

In what universe is this bad
Ah, another denizen of a big city working in a faceless megacorp. How is training going for Babu Bharatindar Arora Bose? Heard his L-1 got approved, and he will soon be here for "training". Don' worry though, he can only do your job fifty percent as good as you can, but gets paid 75% less, doesn't ask for 3 weeks of vacation, benefits or sick days. No worries, your job with Faceless Megacorp is *safe*.

Gerald Tarrant
If Babu is a better value than me, he deserves the job. Not sure what your point is
lancevance
quote:
If Babu is a better value than me, he deserves the job. Not sure what your point is
12:35 AM, you are posting in a roll bread. Just go with the flow.
superunknown
AG
This thread is fing awful.
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
quote:

Well then while I'm at it, milk is disgusting and only for children
spieg12
AG
I grew up on a farm outside a small town. Nothing at all like that.
AggieIce
AG
Good luck with the job search Lance
lancevance
quote:
Good luck with the job search Lance
I am looking for a job?
The Fife
Needs more trailer parks.
lancevance
quote:
Needs more trailer parks.

Trailer parks are an outskirts of city thing. In small towns everyone lives in modest houses on several acres of land that has been in the family for generations.
Sweet Clementine
AG
My inlaws live in rural Arkansas. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever read.
Furlock Bones
AG
Just arrived in London. Small towns lick taint.
Ag_EE
AG
County govt workers
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well then while I'm at it, milk is disgusting and only for children

Amen!
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Your Ford F350 pulls into the drive way at exactly 7:50 AM. The sign at the door spells out the county's name. You have a great job at the county. Great benefits, annual cost of living adjustments, relaxed work environment, great like minded coworkers and figuratively no competition. Not like a job in the big city with a faceless megacorporation; ever diminishing benefits, performance-based raises, tense work environment, and constant fear of losing your job.
My wife was a teacher (government employee) and her health benefits were awful. Comparing them to what my health benefits are from my private employer is like comparing a Texas State grad to somebody with a Princeton undergrad and Harvard MBA.

Also, only lazy dumb people do not like performance based raises.
Furlock Bones
AG
No ****. Performance weeds out the shiiity and weak employees.
Cowboy1990
Everyone is bashing but sounds pretty good to me.
G.I.Bro
Smells like ****ty bro country in here
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Everyone is bashing but sounds pretty good to me.

Most fantasies do sound good.
anaggieshusband
Cows and Horses on 13 acres? Don't forget to stop at the feed store
itsyourboypookie
13 acres that is half woods with cows and horses. House, barn, and hen house. What the hell are your pet cows going to eat? Do you feed them year around. Sounds like you live in the suburbs.
lknapp
Any Town, USA
Wildman15
AG
I wonder what his fantasy of TexAgs was like before he clicked on the GB for the first time.
Catch
AG
Everything described in the OP made me want to kill myself....
jarz94
AG
Sounds like you've been watching too much King of the Hill...
Mr. White
quote:
Sounds like you've been watching too much King of the Hill...

Sounded nothing at all like King of the Hill.
Ryan34
AG
Over trolled with the 13 acres so no one bit on the F350.
Ribeye99
Ha...funny **** there

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.