I love it when a restaurant limits their tip

10,738 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tanya 93
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...by automatically adding gratuity to my bill because we had 8 people...2 of the 8 were between 2 & 3, and 2 others were both less than 6 months old. Saved me some cash by grading yourself.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Just the tip
Chickenhawk
I never limit it to just the tip.
Jackal99
AG
quote:
...by automatically adding gratuity to my bill because we had 8 people...2 of the 8 were between 2 & 3, and 2 others were both less than 6 months old. Saved me some cash by grading yourself.
They counted the toddlers and infants? Haha.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
quote:

Should have charged MORE for inconvenience of cleaning up after the fema disasters that rug rats usually leave behind at the table.
Amazing Moves
Never be cheap with that ass when your tipping.
Gerald Tarrant
anyone who tips less than 30% is a cheap *******
Geralt of Rivia
S
Remy, post Sea Bass' tits
Gerald Tarrant
Tanya 93
Some Frugal moms would have ordered a meal for the infants if it was a kids eat free if under 6. Then they would take the burger or chicken nuggets meal home to eat the next day.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I've been trying to get the link for this gif for like 10 minutes...I blame it on being wine drunk and the page not wanting me to copy the image, but here is the url

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/03/28/the-funniest-gifs-of-the-week-march-28-2013/8
Gerald Tarrant
worth it
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
Yep. Oh well, when your named price is lower than I'd pay, I'll take it.
Sweet Clementine
AG
As someone who worked in a nice restaurant, I will add this: it's not terribly uncommon for people to have a max tip. For instance, some people will not tip over $20. So if they have a $200 bill, they'll leave $20. That's only 10%. People like that are why auto gratuity exists.
OP, you may tip well. But there is no way the server can possibly know that, so sometimes they hedge their bets.
piag94
AG
Never seen a thread about poors that will try and find any excuse to leave less money

Stay
Your
Poor
Arse
At
home
FIDO*98*
AG
Years of waiting tables taught me that if you can add a gratuity then do it. You are far more likely to get burned than rewarded. There are still plenty of cool people who don't get so easily offended like the OP and leave a few extra bills regardless.
Out in Left Field
AG
Tipping. What a dumb custom.
Sweet Clementine
AG
quote:
Years of waiting tables taught me that if you can add a gratuity then do it. You are far more likely to get burned than rewarded. There are still plenty of cool people who don't get so easily offended like the OP and leave a few extra bills regardless.

This. And while the server didn't have to really serve your rug rats, you probably asked for some crackers for them. That's code for "please bring my special snowflayke some food for them to mash up and throw all over the floor."
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Living in a country where you don't tip
swimmerbabe11
I waited tables for years and literally only grat'd if I had a reason to believe that they were going to stiff me. Usually if I had waited on them before and they did.

I didn't get jipped on big parties often. I hate auto-grat.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I refuse to accept the ticket if it's added. A tip is based on the service. It's not guaranteed and its at discretion. I have it taken off regardless. If the service was great, it's above the standard, but if it wasn't, I have no problem leaving less. Regardless, it's at my discretion.
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
I refuse to accept the ticket if it's added. A tip is based on the service. It's not guaranteed and its at discretion. I have it taken off regardless. If the service was great, it's above the standard, but if it wasn't, I have no problem leaving less. Regardless, it's at my discretion.
oh so you're that guy
IrishTxAggie
AG
Damn right. I pay the price that's listed on the menu. Anything above that is at my discretion. This coming from someone that's worked in the service industry.
swimmerbabe11
I get very annoyed when servers don't mention that they added gratuity. It feels like they are trying to sneak something past the patron and get double pay.
trouble
AG
What the hell kinda place counts infants and toddlers?
aggieforester05
AG
The OP sounds like the kind of cheap ass that would stiff them on the tip anyway. The servers typically have the choice of whether or not to grat. If they think you're going to stiff them, then they'll grat. If they think you will be fair then they'll take their chances at getting a better tip. You wouldn't believe how many times servers get screwed on large tables. Some people are just cheap, some forget to tip, some think somebody else is tipping, some think a server should only get so much per table no matter the size, and they often don't consider that there is more than one server. How would you like to work your ass off for two hours exclusively on one table only to get a tip that is less than what your tip share payout is? Servers typically make $2.15/hour which basically covers taxes.They are people with bills and families that have to live on those tips.
redline248
AG
What is the typical reaction when you do this?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Some restaurants do not give the servers an option. If 8 entrees are placed in the system, gratuity is automatically added by the computer. Also, you can scratch through the automatic gratuity and enter your own amount.
aTm2004
AG
Wahhhhh!!!! You choose to work a job that pays $2.15/hr and relies mostly on the generosity of others based on the service you provided. Wahhhhh!!!! If you don't like it, choose a different job or move to San Francisco or Seattle.

I was a waiter one summer during college at a restaurant in downtown Houston and I took my chances. I also valet parked cars a few times while I was in college over the Christmas break for some extra cash. I got stiffed from time to time and I also got great tips that made up for it. In the end, I made OK money for what I did.
combat wombat™
AG
I am usually a generous tipper; I would be hacked of if I fit the same bulk the OP got.

We should do away with tipping and pay servers a reasonable amount.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Wahhhhh!!!! You choose to work a job that pays $2.15/hr and relies mostly on the generosity of others based on the service you provided. Wahhhhh!!!! If you don't like it, choose a different job or move to San Francisco or Seattle.

This. Whining about the generosity of others while performing a service often done by folks that are still in high school is very unbecoming.
Slicer97
AG
Also, tipping on percentage of the bill is stupid. Why should the server make more money because I chose to order steak rather than chicken? They're putting forth the same level of effort in either case.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If there was no tipping, servers would have to get paid more, which means prices will go up.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
If there was no tipping, servers would have to get paid more, which means prices will go up.
Aren't you essentially paying more for the product once you include the tip you pay?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.