CEO Ags

3,285 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 41332
freesafetyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.facebook.com/tamu/posts/10153129877928172:0

I ran across this while on fb today. While I'm proud to have the same number of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as the Ivy Leagues, I can't help but wonder why A&M is not ranked higher in U.S. News and World Report (68). The full list can be viewed by clicking on the link to the ordinal article. I'm in the medical field and can attest that there are tons of A&M physicians in the workforce. My med school class was 20% Aggies and I can't swing a bat without hitting an Aggie at my current hospital. With such a strong pre-professional program, top-notch engineering and business programs, and strong studies across the board, I don't know what A&M has to do to crack the top 50.

Tl;DR- A&M is a stronger academic institution than we are given credit for.

AFR because these guys helped fund New Kyle.
Harvard's undergrad enrollment is around 6,500 with zero business majors.
STX Ag
AG
Idk what hospital you work at but if y'all go around swinging bats, I don't want to end up there.
gonemaroon
AG
When you have enrollment of 50,000 and a moderately well educated student body ~ just reasonable odds say it's possible.
Bone6
I'm a Mays Business school Grad. As I look back on it now, we could have been pushed much, much harder.

I also wish the Business school didn't push a lot of our brightest to the big 4 accounting/p.p.a program or I at least have mixed feelings about it. You can have a really solid career in Accounting, but from a big picture perspective it gives us a lower probability of making the substantial money that sets schools apart.
ag2003
AG
Tu, Penn St, Florida, etc have enrollment in the 50k range like us and don't have as many CEOs.....plus I would say most CEOs aren't necessarily business undergrads (most probably have an MBA but not necessarily in undergrad). So us having an undergrad business school doesn't really make a difference.

I agree, our b school pushes ppa way too hard.....
Meximan
quote:
Idk what hospital you work at but if y'all go around swinging bats, I don't want to end up there.
+1
One Tooth Man
It's because we are generally among the best of the working class. Those other schools produce the political class. You may be the best doctor in the world but when a politician manipulates your practice, who really has the control?
2HandsAndAMap
AG
quote:

So glad I was sitting down while reading this, or I might've ended up in this bat-swinging ER myself. After all, 70% of all fatal home accidents happen in the bathroom.
Fair enough ag03, you should look at grad degrees too. You should also look at a list that includes more than 100 companies. And the list posted above, three CEOs gets you in the top 10, two doesn't even have you on the list.
biobioprof
anyone able to name the three and their majors? Wondering if they actually were in Mays (vs Petroleum Engineering or something else).

Edit to add: I picked Petroleum thinking that we must have some oil company CEOs... Didn't know that (per Wikipedia) Lowry Mays was a Petroleum Engr at TAMU. got his MBA at Harvard. Is Clear Channel top 100?
Personal Best
AG
quote:
I'm a Mays Business school Grad. As I look back on it now, we could have been pushed much, much harder.

I also wish the Business school didn't push a lot of our brightest to the big 4 accounting/p.p.a program or I at least have mixed feelings about it. You can have a really solid career in Accounting, but from a big picture perspective it gives us a lower probability of making the substantial money that sets schools apart.

Yep. Never understood why the most competitive business students were so heavily pressured to pursue the PPA program.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I also wish the Business school didn't push a lot of our brightest to the big 4 accounting/p.p.a program
This. It is comical how Mays tried to sell the wonderful life Big 4 public accounting. I feel bad for the starry eyed college kids who eat that tripe.

I get that Big 4 gives lots of $$$ to Mays and funds things like the EY Emeritus Chair in Forensic Jerkoff Accounting, but the arrogant attitude that lots of Big 4 job seekers had was laughable.
Phillips 66
Humana
Cigna
Lowry hasn't run cc in over a decade.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
quote:

I ran across this while on fb today. While I'm proud to have the same number of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as the Ivy Leagues, I can't help but wonder why A&M is not ranked higher in U.S. News and World Report (68). The full list can be viewed by clicking on the link to the ordinal article. I'm in the medical field and can attest that there are tons of A&M physicians in the workforce. My med school class was 20% Aggies and I can't swing a bat without hitting an Aggie at my current hospital. With such a strong pre-professional program, top-notch engineering and business programs, and strong studies across the board, I don't know what A&M has to do to crack the top 50.

Go look at the criteria they use to do their ranking. They are measuring things of importance to parents, not employers.

You guys make way too much of the USNWR rankings. Way too much.
biobioprof
quote:
Phillips 66
Humana
Cigna

Thanks via the web:

Phillips 66 -> Greg Garland '80: Chemical Engineering
Humana -> Bruce Broussard: Bachelor of Business Arts, TAMU, MBA U of H
Cigna -> David Cordani '88: Can't find a major in any of his info that's easily googleable.
Hu11abaloo
AG
quote:

PREACH ^
pshu13
AG
quote:
Harvard doesn't have an undergraduate program for business majors. hth
ag2003
AG
5 schools had 3 CEOs, none had more. And of course it would be interestin to see grad degrees as well and to see the enitre fortune 500, or hell see all public and private companies over a certain size. Thisstudy was obviously very limited in scope, but it's good to be at the top with such other high universities held such high esteem.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Phillips 66
Humana
Cigna

Thanks via the web:

Phillips 66 -> Greg Garland '80: Chemical Engineering
Humana -> Bruce Broussard: Bachelor of Business Arts, TAMU, MBA U of H
Cigna -> David Cordani '88: Can't find a major in any of his info that's easily googleable.

David Cordani '88: Accounting TAMU
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
While I'm proud to have the same number of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as the Ivy Leagues
Um we don't. It's the Fortune 100, and it's too small a sample size. We only have 3.

Here are the top ten schools in America that spit out Fortune 500 CEOs, with the corresponding number of Fortune 500 CEOs who attended:
  • Harvard: 65
  • Stanford: 27
  • University of Pennsylvania: 24
  • Columbia: 18
  • Michigan: 14
  • Notre Dame: 14
  • University of Virginia: 14
  • Cornell: 13
Link
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I'm an Ag grad and I didn't do a ****ing thing for 4.5 years and I graduated. I didn't learn anything, other than booze and had the best time of my life. School should have been much harder and demanding.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Harvard doesn't have an undergraduate program for business majors. hth

That's the point he was making. hth
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
quote:
While I'm proud to have the same number of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as the Ivy Leagues
Um we don't. It's the Fortune 100, and it's too small a sample size. We only have 3.

Here are the top ten schools in America that spit out Fortune 500 CEOs, with the corresponding number of Fortune 500 CEOs who attended:
  • Harvard: 65
  • Stanford: 27
  • University of Pennsylvania: 24
  • Columbia: 18
  • Michigan: 14
  • Notre Dame: 14
  • University of Virginia: 14
  • Cornell: 13
Link
Shhh!!!! The OP has a cool story
About to be 2.
dcAg
People that go to the Big 4 rarely stick around. Most accountants pass the CPA then go work for clients.

I worked for Kenneth Leventhal & Co. (then acquired by E&Y), Coopers & Lybrand (then merged/acquired by Pricewaterhouse).

So basically I worked for 3 of the Big 6 with 6 total hours of accounting.

I was then a founder of the real estate consulting practice of a company called Alvarez & Marsal. I then started the real estate consulting practice for a company called Duff & Phelps.

I have been a real estate investor and developer for the past 7 years. I have many, many contacts in the real estate business because of my time in public accounting.
SwigAg11
AG
I had a strong feeling the data was a little cherry picked with only listing the top 100
ignatiusreilly2
quote:
Tu, Penn St, Florida, etc have enrollment in the 50k range like us and don't have as many CEOs.....plus I would say most CEOs aren't necessarily business undergrads (most probably have an MBA but not necessarily in undergrad). So us having an undergrad business school doesn't really make a difference.

In the immortal word of B*tthead, "you are one stupid idiot."
Why oh why would you compare us with tu?

Exxon (where I work), Southwest Airline, Dell, Hilcorp, Heinz, CarMax, NRP, and TXU all say what's up.

I went to tu for biz school but bleed maroon. I love my Ags but frankly this is a losing battle. Maybe some day, if we don't turn into a diploma mill like Emperor Sharp demands, we will catch up, but this is an argument I wouldn't want to make.

And, at the risk of getting banned for life, let me just provide you with this:

Our school:
ConocoPhillips 1st quarter profit - $272 Million dollars
"Excluding a deferred tax benefit, the company posted a per-share loss of 18 cents, compared with a profit of $1.81 a year ago."

Whorns:
ExxonMobil 1st quarter profit - $4.94 Billion
"The profit worked out to $1.17 per share, down from $2.10 per share a year earlier."
cuppycup
AG
ConocoPhillips and Phillips 66 are not the same company.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

Go look at the criteria they use to do their ranking. They are measuring things of importance to parents, not employers.

You guys make way too much of the USNWR rankings. Way too much.
This. I wish I could punch the little star button a hundred times for this post.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
quote:

St Joseph's
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
quote:

In the immortal word of B*tthead, "you are one stupid idiot."
Why oh why would you compare us with tu?

Exxon (where I work), Southwest Airline, Dell, Hilcorp, Heinz, CarMax, NRP, and TXU all say what's up.

I went to tu for biz school but bleed maroon. I love my Ags but frankly this is a losing battle. Maybe some day, if we don't turn into a diploma mill like Emperor Sharp demands, we will catch up, but this is an argument I wouldn't want to make.

And, at the risk of getting banned for life, let me just provide you with this:

Our school:
ConocoPhillips 1st quarter profit - $272 Million dollars
"Excluding a deferred tax benefit, the company posted a per-share loss of 18 cents, compared with a profit of $1.81 a year ago."

Whorns:
ExxonMobil 1st quarter profit - $4.94 Billion
"The profit worked out to $1.17 per share, down from $2.10 per share a year earlier."

A couple of scratches from your list:
Dell - CEO is not a horn grad. Also not a Fortune 500 company.
Hilcorp, NRP and TXU are not Fortune 500 companies.

And as someone else has already pointed out, ConocoPhillips and Phillips 66 are different companies.
I don't doubt you went to tu biz school though.
np
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.