Dang I should have been a DJ

16,731 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
haircut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The narration in Lucky by seven lions cracks me up.
This has been pretty motivational work music.
The gf doesn't so much care for this new genre
GrayMatter
AG
quote:
There is now only one producer/duo that has yet to put out a track that I wasn't that in to.

Heatbeat.
Buenosaurus is probably the best track that they've produced in my opinion. I listened to their album and thought it was kind of meh. Their sound reminds me of Tritonal a bit.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
There is now only one producer/duo that has yet to put out a track that I wasn't that in to.

Heatbeat.
Buenosaurus is probably the best track that they've produced in my opinion. I listened to their album and thought it was kind of meh. Their sound reminds me of Tritonal a bit.
Tritonal is ok, but I was listening to Heatbeat before Tritonal came around.

I love their melodic imagination.

My Favorite of theirs all time I'd have to pick Push Over.
7nine
GCRanger
AG
So I was reading up on some of the things going on in dance music, what is considered "live" dance music. The pop EDM DJs don't really do it for me. I'm old school I guess, first rave in 91.

Definition of live dance music in my opinion: Synths, keyboards, drums, guitar, moogs galore, samplers, or combinations of all used to build tracks on the fly.
Not live: Ableton tracks pre-mixed, loaded and pressing play with some room for on the fly adjustment (Avicci, SHM, Calvin Harris, etc.).

What are some real live electronic dance / indie dance acts? Some, mainly older, acts I could think of. Some may be borderline.

Soulwax / 2 Many DJs
Squarepusher
Pendulum
Hot Chip (saw at ACL)
Caribou
Simian Mobile Disco
LCD Soundsystem (saw in Houston)
Moby (saw in Houston)
Justice
Kraftwerk (might see later this month)
Coldcut
Massive Attack
Underworld
Orbital
Chemical Brothers
Prodigy
Daft Punk
Texaggie7nine
I wonder if Cirrus is still around.

Personally its neat if its truly live but I care way more about production quality and content.

It may sound lame but if rather listen to a band lipsync to a perfect, flawless track then have to hear any imperfection.
7nine
The Fife
IMO a lot of newer stuff that I've heard sounds overproduced. Not that I'd like to completely revert everything to what it sounded 15 years ago, but the production sounds overdone to me.

Maybe that's because I've been listening to older stuff a lot lately (04-08 mostly). Albert Vorne, Maor Levi, Sultan and Shepard, JPL and that Starkid track came up on a playlist yesterday...
Texaggie7nine
Maor Levi is one of my favorites.

I don't like a lot of the trance coming out now days that all have to incorporate the big drops with minimalistic breakdowns. Leave the bassline going and stop trying to cater to the EDM festival kids of today.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.