GB redditors, has this been discussed?

7,187 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by testosterbone
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
truly is, isn't it.

this is apparently the straw the broke the camel's back.

Professor Frick
AG
quote:

Valued at 6B, it is quite a serious business, and it is being run right into the ground by poor management.
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:

Valued at 6B, it is quite a serious business, and it is being run right into the ground by poor management.
7.5 billion monthly pageviews, making it one of the most trafficked sites on the web, period. I just checked their Alexa ranking...its 31st in the world, which is up there with all the different regional Google websites, Bing, Yahoo, MSN, etc.
chipotle
reb,
AG
quote:
I've tried to get into reddit but it is dumb to me.
I get what you mean, I think, here is my theory. There is a ton of overlap between what texags and reddit provide, so with you already being a texags user it is a hard sell.

Both are based around communities of specialized topics of interest, sports and geographic location. Texags is busy enough to draw posters from OTHER schools to be regulars on Entertainment, Outdoors, Politics, etc.). Texags is a real unicorn of the university fandom websites because of this.

Here's the list of forums on Texags that don't specifically have to do with TAMU or Aggie Sports:

quote:
NFL & Fantasy Football
NBA & Other Basketball
MLB & Other Baseball
Recruiting
Outdoors
Golf
Other Sports
Ticket Exchange
General
Five Star General
General
Job Network
Entertainment
Food & Spirits
Religion & Philosophy
Politics
Business & Investing
Real Estate
Automotive
The Nerdery
Health & Fitness
Military
History
Classifieds
Travel
Home Improvement
Aggieland
Austin
San Antonio
Metroplex
Houston
Central Texas
Panhandle / South Plains
West Texas
South Texas
East Texas
Gulf Coast
Around the Nation
Across the Globe

THATS A LOT OF STUFF. Yes, some are ghost towns, but all sites have them.

Lets take a look at a couple other 'comparable' fan sites minus their school focused stuff, like the Shag

quote:
Gambool (gambling, poker, betting, FF)
Varsity (movies & tv)
Holy in the Wall (music)
PCL (books)
Einstein's (video games)
Nasty's (random)
GM Steakhouse (food)
Bada Bing (business, philosophy)
Can you help me with this (Q & A)
Shaglist (classifieds)
Cloak room (politics)

Kyle Field North

quote:
Chit Chat (tv, movies, music, jokes)
Religion & Politics (morals, philosophy, business)

Texags just destroys them on breadth and depth of topics and activity.

Consequently, Reddit destroys Texags on the same metrics because the number of forums ("subreddits") is so vast that they number in the thousands (also, you can make your own subreddit on any topic you want, and you can't do that on Texags). But regardless, the range of topics and amount of traffic on Texags is more than sufficient to keep most Aggies here. If I'm texags staff I'm thinking that my real competition is actually Reddit more than any other site. But Reddit serves the whole world, and Texags is meant to serve Aggies (and the strays like toucan, chipotle, swimmerbabe, etc that we adopt)

So, that's my theory. The only reason I started going to reddit a lot lately is because I need more to read after I'm through reading TA, Twitter, and Facebook. And on an intellectual level, I'm very interested in how online communities work, how they survive/thrive, and their life cycle from inception to obsolescence. That's why this whole thing with reddit interests me. It's going downhill at lightspeed.
The Fife
quote:
So, that's my theory. The only reason I started going to reddit a lot lately is because I need more to read after I'm through reading TA, Twitter, and Facebook. And on an intellectual level, I'm very interested in how online communities work, how they survive/thrive, and their life cycle from inception to obsolescence. That's why this whole thing with reddit interests me. It's going downhill at lightspeed.
Same thing here. I stayed away from larger subreddits though, so I don't really see firsthand how fast/if they're really deflating. I'm used to online communities sort of fading out into obscurity, not an immediate exodus.
reb,
AG
here's a live thread of what subreddits have gone down, which ones have decided to stay up, and which ones are still discussing whether or not to go dark.

https://np.reddit.com/live/v6d0vi6c8veb
reb,
AG
breaking: she gone
superunknown
AG
confession time:

I think Victoria is pretty dang cute.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Wow, didn't think she would actually step down.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
reb,
AG
you really believe this beech would "step down"? A woman with this much audacity?

To me, this is the sort of situation akin to when a company gets their ass busted by the feds, so they cut a deal to where they have to pay a big fine yet not have to admit wrong-doing. Pao got fired.

It is possible she did step down, but I just give it really low odds of having been the case, personally.
superunknown
AG
looks like her stepping down has been in the works a little. yes, she's a capital B and she needed to go but I don't think it was like...today..."hey Ellen, gtfoh."

in the comments on the top post/announcement... someone says "friday afternoon, eh? Someone took a PR class in college!"

new/old CEO's response?

[]spez[A] 132 points 15 minutes ago

You're telling me. Actually, everyone is telling me. The truth is it took a while to work everything out.
bmc13
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Wait wait wait, so you are telling me chipotle is not an Aggie?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Wait wait wait, so you are telling me chipotle is not an Aggie?

Yeah....thought he was a season ticket holder?
EFE
ac04
chipotle is not an aggie, but he is wise

i like the part of reddit where the girls show all their titties and whatnot
superunknown
AG
quote:

Hi reddit, im shy! Be nice!

*shows gaping butthole*
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
quote:

Hi reddit, im shy! Be nice!

*shows gaping butthole*

[F]irst time to ever use the internet!

*insert pic of 18 sharpies in butthole*
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Same thing here. I stayed away from larger subreddits though, so I don't really see firsthand how fast/if they're really deflating. I'm used to online communities sort of fading out into obscurity, not an immediate exodus.

My challenge with all this nonsense is the lack of time that I have to go through all this ****. I mean, through personal and work related activities it's a lot to invest. And I do mean 15 minutes a day when I would rather be spending it alone or with the kid.
testosterbone
AG
T&Ps to your upvotes
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.