Missouri man dies after being bitten in both legs by snake

5,124 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Old School Brother
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2015/05/26/nixa-man-dies-suspected-cottonmouth-snake-bite/27965437/
quote:
"His girlfriend reported that he yelled he'd been bitten by a snake and got out of the river to find he'd been bitten twice once on each leg," Cole said. "I'm not sure what kind of snake bit him, but the only
venomous water snake I'm aware of is a cottonmouth. It could have been something else, but we just don't know."

Cole said that despite his girlfriend's pleas for De Leon to go to a hospital, the man refused and instead went home. "That evening he got lethargic but just wouldn't go to a hospital," Cole said. "They went to bed and she reported he was snoring more loudly than usual. The next morning when she woke up she found him dead."

Too much of a badass to go to the hospital for two snake bites!
G.I.Bro
Think of all the snakes in Brenham that will be affected by this
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Clearly, his faith was weak.
Ag_EE
AG
Darwin award finalist...
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Clearly, his faith was weak.
Some folks are born Snake Handlers, some ain't.
dabo man
AG
The best part is that even once he started succumbing to the venom, he STILL wouldn't get help. I can hear it in my mind... "Just go make me some coffee, woman!"
tbirdspur2010
AG
Heard about this on the radio today....
GregZeppelin
AG
One less person in Misery I guess.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
By boss got bit by one on the Guadalupe while very drunk and trying to crawl up the bank. He thought he cut his hand on a piece of glass, went home and passed out. He woke up and his hand had swollen quite substantially and the docs wanted to amputate a few fingers but he wouldn't let them and ended up recovering.
combat wombat™
AG
That's a very special kind of stubborn.
752bro4
AG
He serpently sounds like a real dumb ass
EFE
AG
Maybe he was between jobs and hadn't set up his cobra insurance?
BBRex
AG
Both legs? Sounds like it bit him in the ass.
GrapevineAg
AG
Lake Texoma:

I'm just staying out of the fresh water for a while.
ursusguy
AG
Nope, harmless Lake Erie water snakes.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/
AgKJ
AG
Girlfriend sounds like she was nagging him and being a real pain in the asp. Still, that doesn't give him an excuse to be mad adder.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Lake Texoma:

I would shoot my own boat to kill those things. Only good one is a dead one. Yeah yeah, they serve a purpose..............to be shot at
Bernie13
I live near where this happened. It was a cotton mouth. I moved into Mark twain National forest and have killed 6 western pygmy rattlers in my yard in less than 2 years. One of them was in my garage. I think I know why they took our low ball offer so quickly!!!
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Lake Texoma:

45-70Ag
AG
quote:
I live near where this happened. It was a cotton mouth. I moved into Mark twain National forest and have killed 6 western pygmy rattlers in my yard in less than 2 years. One of them was in my garage. I think I know why they took our low ball offer so quickly!!!

Beautiful area. We go to roaring river two times each year and love it.
ursusguy
AG
Up until last year, those were an endangered species (yes, species do actually recover and come off the list). Shooting them would have been special.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to be killed by a cottonmouth. It probably has one of the most painful snakebites, but it's not overly potent compared to say most of the rattlesnakes.
bluecouchstudios
AG
quote:
Darwin award finalist...
This.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Lake Texoma:

Damn. The creeks have been flowing pretty consistent where we are. I've been trolling around in a boat quite a bit the last few weeks getting debris out of a smaller tank and I've seen quite a few snakes. I've been close enough to positively identify a few cottonmouths (hopefully multiple sightings of the same one). I've had talks with my 3 year old every day to let mommy or daddy know if he sees a snake and to not approach it.
jr15aggie
AG
For the ladies reading this... if you have a man and he is this dumb, just go outside where he can't hear you and call 911 (after you bring him a beer of course). Meet the paramedics outside and tell them to knock on the door and pretend they are door-to-door doctors just randomly seeing if anybody needed anything. Be sure to look really shocked and say, "Honey, maybe they could take a look the snake bites on both of your legs!"
The Collective
AG
You should get a bite checked out, but I know people who have toughed out a venomous bite at home with OTC pain meds. Antivenom isn't even used in many bite situations.
Bernie13
A few years back, I heard of a story about a grandfather digging up worms with his grandson. The little boy went looking for some on his own and put several in his bathing suit pocket. Except they were baby cotton mouths and he was bitten sevearl times and died. Very sad story.
Old School Brother
quote:
Lake Texoma:

wow, that same boat with the same snakes has been to several lakes this year. FYI, i believe this picture was originally from michigan or something from several years ago.

having said that, there are plenty of snakes out and about at texoma. i didn't see any last night when i checked on our family cabin out there, but i know they're around and have heard plenty of stories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.