Divorced people, how long did it take you to get back in the game?

20,152 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Pirate04
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Three years for me and I'm guessing it may be about time. First year or two I've been crying in my whiskey, last year I've been thinking about getting back in the game.
BaitShack
AG
In before many "random strange" comments. I guess I'm kinda old fashioned in that regard.
BaitShack
AG
Was married for 17 years with a 2 kids.
Pro Ag
AG
Good luck my friend.
HBCanine08
AG
A year ago

/most divorcees
Drawkcab
Many were back in the game before the divorce.
marble rye
AG
I'm not divorced, but I'm sure it varies for everyone. I read somewhere it can take a month for every two years of marriage for some to get over the ordeal and feel emotionally normal. Many have told me that it is a mind **** of epic proportions and just rough.

If you feel it's right and have the itch to meet an new lady friend, just go do it. Although, I imagine the world of dating will have drastically changed from 17+ years ago. Be prepared to text and receive pics of bathing suit areas.
BaitShack
AG
Same to you Pro Ag. It's a hell of a thing.
gomerschlep
AG
I was back in the game before my divorce was final. I never cheated on her but when she threw me out and made it clear we were divorcing I figured I could do as I pleased. There was a chick at work I knew I could so I pulled the trigger.

The divorce was the best thing that ever happened to me.
FroggieBreath
I'd get some counseling. I went to a great counselor in Houston/Spring and in 4 sessions I felt much better.

If you want his name I can tell you.
B-1 83
AG
Too soon - all of you.
NJ75AGfdt
Bait;
One year, but that was too soon. Crying in your whiskey doesn't solve anything but delay the inevitable and adds a headache to boot. You probably got that.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
G.I.Bro
Less than a week, but I'm a bad person
riverrataggie
AG
Took 9 months. My divorce took almost a year to finalize. It also wasn't civil. So easier to get back in the game.
TTUArmy
about 4 months...
gutmancometh
It took me a couple of years, and I eased into it...
Talon2DSO
AG
I was back in the game pretty quick. No need to dwell on the past, learn from it and move on.
Rusty GCS
AG
I'm getting married this week. I'll bump this thread next year and answer
Ryan34
OregonAggie
AG
My divorce was 10 months of emotional hell and that's how long it took me. I was married for 9 years.

Be confident in yourself and get back out there. Good luck buddy
GinaLinetti
AG
Separated last October. Divorce was final
In February. Amicable. Not the same person I was going into it but that's probably normal. I don't know when I'm going to be emotionally ready for a real relationship but I'm going to take things as they come
Bernie13
I know it can be hard but life is too short if you are wanting to start up something down the road. I ended up talking with my best lady friend from HS and we have now been together 12 years. Best thing that ever happened to me so don't be afraid to mingle. You will know if it is right or not.
bohica379
The day my divorce was final I pawned my wedding ring and bought a bottle of tequila and nailed one 10 years younger ! I had been married over 8 years . Oh I spent the first two weeks feeling torn up until I realized she was the one screwing around. Then I woke up.
Beer Baron
AG
You people have destroyed a ton of marriages.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:

I prefer the term home wrecker.
haircut
AG
Good luck BaitShack! Three years sounds like a long time! If you spent all of that time bottled up inside, I'd say you deserve to start getting out.
chipotle
sinners
Post removed:
by user
cisgenderedAggie
I stand ready to "ease into" any of you lovely people to help with the transition. The physical pain will only last a little while.
OregonAggie
AG
I'd say that's normal Lodestar. At least I would say I've experienced the same thing. We're about on the same timeline too. Mine was not amicable, though, and it just went final...like yesterday.
CashinOut
AG
quote:
quote:

I prefer the term home wrecker.
I prefer "you've wrecked more homes than Ty Pennington"
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
I'd say that's normal Lodestar. At least I would say I've experienced the same thing. We're about on the same timeline too. Mine was not amicable, though, and it just went final...like yesterday.

Welcome to the club!
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
From a mid-30s female perspective... Most of the divorced people I know started dating before the divorce was even final. This seems to be more common among men, but I know a lot more divorced men than I do women. But the women do it, too.

Personally, I always feel a lot more comfortable when someone waited a while after a divorce before dating again, especially if there are kids involved. In addition to the emotional aspect, there are issues to deal with re the kids, housing issues (because a separated/divorced guy living with his parents is a real catch...not), etc.

The last thing I would want to be is someone's rebound date. Three years seems like you spent the time you needed to adequately deal with your emotions, get your life in order, take care of the kids, etc. Oh, and don't bash your ex to your dates. That's not attractive, either.
G.I.Bro
If you have a divorce party, don't invite nuRowdy bc he will just pass out at the bar right when you're making headway with a girl, then you'll spend the next two hours getting him back to the hotel room
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.