Stop for a minute, and say, . . .

4,795 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Rock1982
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
. . . who will you remember on this Memorial Day.

I will remember these military brothers, who gave their lives for us:

Capt Kelly Castleberry (Class of '82, Corps CO, flying the F-4)
Lt Bobby Cox (Class of '82, 5th Battalion XO, flying the A-6)
Capt Chip Stem (Class of '82, Squadron 8 CO, flying the F-111)
Maj Bruce Netardus (Class of '80, Squadron 10 CO, squadron mate flying the F-15E)
Capt John Nisbet (Class of '82, RV, flying the CH-46)
Lt Hal Williams (squadron mate flying the A-10)
Capt Steven Phyllis (squadron mate flying the A-10)
Maj Paul Weaver (pilot training instructor, later flying the AC-130)
Maj Jeff Watterberg (first flight commander and squadron mate flying the A-10)
Lt Eric Miller (squadron mate flying the A-10)
Lt Mike Ayotte (squadron mate flying the A-10)
Lt Col Wendell Johnson (squadron mate flying the F-15E)
Lt Col Ken Hyvonen (sister squadron mate, flying the F-15C)
Capt Kirk Jones (sister squadron mate, flying the F-15C)
Lt Col Thomas Bouley (sister squadron mate, flying the F-15C)
Talon2DSO
AG
SSgt Shane Kimmet
TSgt Glenn "Rocco" Lasted
TSgt James Henry

None aggies but all great Airmen
80s Guy
Willie Utz - Pacific campaign 1943, my great uncle and part of my son's namesake
aglaohfour
AG
GySgt John Fry KIA March 2006

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/marine-gunnery-sgt-john-d-fry/1588232
bullagg61
AG
LT Jeremy Ray (Class of 2004)
CPT Jason McMahon
-greatest leader I've ever known
http://www.army.mil/article/114630/Fort_A_P__Hill_Explosive_Ordnance_Disposal_Training_Center_honors_a_fallen_hero/
Glish21
AG
Lt. Franklin George Duerr WW2
ElCheAg
Trident 88
AG
Cliff Bland, Class of '86
Rock1982
AG
Trident,

Here.

Your friend Cliff Bland and my friend Paul Weaver were the "Spirit 03" AC-130 pilots killed during combat action on 31 Jan 1991.

It was during the Battle of Khafji, where US forces engaged to stop Iraqi mechanized and armored divisions from moving south from Kuwait to cross the border into Saudi Arabia.

Three AC-130 Spectre gunships joined the battle to provide air-to-ground fire and close air support. As the last of the three AC-130s still on station early on the morning of January 31, and about to end its mission, Spirit 03 received a call from the Marines they needed an enemy missile battery destroyed.

Despite the risk of anti-aircraft artillery fire, and the greater danger of the morning sun casting light on the circling gunship, the crew of Spirit 03 chose to remain and destroy the position requested. Spirit 03 did what it had been asked to do, destroying the target designated by the Marines who were under fire. The action came at a heavy cost. An SA-7 "Grail" man-portable surface-to-air missile was fired by the Iraqis at the now in-the-early-morning-light-visible AC-130 in the sky over Khafji.

The missile found its target and at 0635 hours the aircraft sent out a "mayday" distress call and then crashed into the waters of the Persian Gulf. All 14 crewmembers were killed. The loss of the crew of Spirit 03 was the largest single loss by any Air Force unit during Operation Desert Storm.

The bravery and dedication of Spectre resulted in the destruction of 21 enemy fuel trucks, 10 armored personnel carriers, and 2 antiaircraft artillery sites during the Battle of Khafji. The crew of Spirit 03 was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart medals. The actions of the aircrews played a decisive role in the retaking of Khafji and its subsequent control for the duration of hostilities.
jetch17
AG
Cpl. Casey Owens
30 yard line

hillcountryag86
AG
Cliff Bland '86 classmate
Dale Cormier F-16 pilot. Stationed with him in UAE. Crashed returning from a mission
harleyds2
AG

I reflect routinely on all the squadron members and others I knew over the years we lost in my 22 years of flying. Today even more so. Here here
harleyds2
AG
Chip Stem '82 was my roommate when he was killed. Remember the day like yesterday
45-70Ag
AG
Major Donlad Orr
Cpt. Ted Lacy
Lt. Steve Ferrell
Cpt. Tim Foster
SFC. Matt Norcross
Pvt. John Rowe
Lt. Daniel Norcross
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.