I quit dipping 3 days ago

16,073 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rw1987
FOUR THIN INCHES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went cold turkey, and I'll admit, it's making me kind of an irritable dick. Anyone who has done this before have any recomendations? Is it better to just tough it out and rid yourself of nicotine completely or ween yourself off with gum or patches or something?
Amazing Moves
C-O-P-E-N-H-A-G-E-N
marble rye
AG
Lol
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cigarettes really helped deal with the irritability when I quit dipping.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:

You know, they do say that dipping is not a safe alternative to cigarettes, but I've never heard them say that cigarettes are not a safe alternative to dipping. Hmm...
Amazing Moves
SKOOOOOOOOOOOAL
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
I assume you are already past the headache stage. The patch is best in getting you through the headaches. Drink lots of water and chew lots of sugar free gum. Long road trips, poker, drinking and golf are tough. Try not to drink in the early stages. Good luck. I did it for 25 years and have been dip free for two. It does get easier. I promise. I gained 15 pounds but I no longer have any cravings.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
quote:

You know, they do say that dipping is not a safe alternative to cigarettes, but I've never heard them say that cigarettes are not a safe alternative to dipping. Hmm...

My dentist told me that as long as I spit, dipping didn't increase my risk of oral cancer significantly. So while not a 'safe' alternative, it's certainly better to go from smoking to dipping than vice versa.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I quit cold turkey 2.5-3 years ago. Sunflower seeds were my best friend
Professor Frick
AG
T&Ps for your redneck withdrawal.
BlackGold
AG
Just quit and go to pouches.
TecRecAg
AG
I quit for about 5 years. Maybe had 2-3 per year in that timeframe. Now, I've bought my second can in a week.
Slicer97
AG
fat wad of Copenhagen in as we speak

..l.-, quitter
Woody2006
AG
Dip is disgusting. Give it up immediately.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

My dentist told me that as long as I spit, dipping didn't increase my risk of oral cancer significantly. So while not a 'safe' alternative, it's certainly better to go from smoking to dipping than vice versa.

Tech grad dentists.
PottsDW
AG
Chew regular gum, and pen caps, and straws. For the rest of your life, quit 10 yrs ago and still do all the above.
Tomdoss92
AG
buncha dudes with oral fixations in here.

just stop putting disgusting things in your mouths. done.
coupland boy
AG
Quit 10 years ago this month. Cold turkey is the only way to go. You're either all in or all out.

Smokey Mountain herbal snuff helped me out a lot.
OlRock
AG
Cold turkey and gum for 2.5 years. Now, no gum. Believe in the big picture and committ to changing you rituals and routines to keep your mind off of it. Quit thinking about it.
P.C. Principal
Congrats on quitting. you can do it.
Wife is an Aggie
I went through 8-10 cans a week. Dipped from 14-24 & 17-24 was constant. If I wasn't eating or sleeping I can almost gaurentee you I had a dip in...

I went cold turkey. It's very mental, if you really want to quit, you will. The first couple times I "tried", I didn't really want to & I wasnt successful.

I am on day 615 with no dip, nicotine, tobacco. I still dream about it. I still think about it regularly.

Killthecan.org was the best online resource in my opinion. Smokey mountain sucks but still helps, pick it up at HEB. I would go order a pack of GRINDS coffee pouches, those are pretty solid.

I wpuod avoid gum/patches if possible... It helps at first but I know a lot of people who got addicted to the gum now. Better than dip, yes... But still addicted to nicotine & you will be paying $50 a week for bad tasting gum. Screw that.
Gerald Tarrant
dipping is seriously one of the grossest things humans have conceived of. cigs, heroine, 2girls1cup, all less gross than shoving that nasty-ass disgusting **** in your mouth. people who dip deserve zero respect and hours of torture at the hands of the cruelest American/Japanese hybrid super-soldier.
Helms96
AG
You have made it 3 days, you can make it 4, if you make it 4, you can make it 5.... I started when I was 9 years old and finally kicked it at 35. That was 5 years ago and man it was not easy. The toughest part was hunting season for me. The hardest part is really over for you if you have made it this long.

Don't give in. I played a little procrastination game in my head as well. I won't dip until tonight, when tonight rolled around, I would tell myself I made it this far, I will wait until tomorrow morning. From there confidence grew and it became easier.

I honestly believe Copenhagen is as hard to quit as any major drug.

Good luck FTI
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
ballchain
Lex
Binders is right there with us quitting. He is a week in and chews on everything. It's starting to seem easier for him. But constantly chewing a pen cap, bottle cap or cleans. Anything to keep busy and moving. It will get better. Day 5 seemed to be the day the first wave was over. He has less headaches already and the cravings can be sated with some dr pepper.
haircut
AG
i picked up smoking when I quit drinking. Then picked up dipping to quit smoking. I have stopped for a period of 5 weeks but bought a can this week while out if town for work. You can do it!!!
Helms96
AG
quote:
i picked up smoking when I quit drinking. Then picked up dipping to quit smoking. I have stopped for a period of 5 weeks but bought a can this week while out if town for work. You can do it!!!
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
Red Pill
AG
Quit in 1993...had a dream I was dipping just about 4 months ago. I don't miss it now and if you ever smell it after you've quit for a while it makes you nauseous and gives you the piss chill.

two words: DRINK COFFEE

That helped me get through the roughest part.
ac04
quote:
ween yourself

lol
GarlandAg2012
AG
Remember that discipline is more powerful than motivation. Motivation may have gotten you to this point but discipline will carry you through.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
dipping is seriously one of the grossest things humans have conceived of. cigs, heroine, 2girls1cup, all less gross than shoving that nasty-ass disgusting **** in your mouth. people who dip deserve zero respect and hours of torture at the hands of the cruelest American/Japanese hybrid super-soldier.

Sweet hyperbole.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."
coupland boy
AG
No ****. That was a valuable addition to this thread.
histag10
AG
quote:

I'd just like to point out that 2girls1cup is precisely about shoving nasty-ass disgusting **** into one's mouth.
Knife_Party
I've quit dipping a couple of times. First time I quit it was super easy. Second time it took a little doing. Third time was a ****ing struggle. Once I got past about 3-5 days without it, it got a lot easier. I love dipping, it's just not good for me.
chiken
AG
quote:
I'd just like to point out that 2girls1cup is precisely about shoving nasty-ass disgusting **** into one's mouth.

And this is why /histag exists.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.