woohooo, the FCC has voted to make the net neutral

9,601 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by getme
toucan82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what a great day for America
Zip 88
You can't spell neutral without n-e-t.

And what does all this mean anyway?
Post removed:
by user
Buck O Five
AG
An entertaining bit on net neutrality, posted here before: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=yJ3vVIHUF4T7gwTT1YLACw&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DfpbOEoRrHyU&ved=0CB4QyCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNHS_-DT0RBMFrHXw_5oWPBaCNnWqA&sig2=wtuYuuxX9HOU689u2xjCRA
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
This ought to be good...

What makes you say that?
toucan82
she's probably one of those not-neutralers
Predmid
AG
Internet Access is now considered a public utility, like electricity.

No tier-ing of the internet, aka, ISPs cannot say "pay one price for "basic" internet access, oh, you want to access netflix through this internet connection? That will be an additional $15/month. Play online video games? Another $10/month".

No segmenting of the internet, aka, Comcast (owned by NBC/Universal) can't disallow access to a competing content provider, say HBOGo, et. al.

No more bans on local municipalities or co-ops from forming their own last mile networks.

No paid priority for content, aka, telling consumers "Your normal download speed is 10 Mbps, unless you want to download something from Netflix, which is 2 Mbps unless you pay additional fees". Also meaning there is no fast lane or slow lane. All lanes, equal priority.
bmc13
AG
whoop
toucan82
equality is what America is all about
Predmid
AG
Agreed, toucan.

I'm just glad I'm more equal than others and deserving of my greater share.
bmc13
AG
so all discussion has to be neutral now, right? can we lock the politics board?

or does that mean we have to appoint a poster to take the opposite stance of every other poster?
AliasMan02
AG
Oh, man. Intentionally misusing the term "net neutrality" just became a wealth of troll material. Just tell people they can no longer behave a certain way because of "net neutrality." Like poors thought that by saying "Obamacare" they could just do whatever they wanted.
Claude!
The neutrality point I'm tentatively okay with (though I imagine it's a lot more complicated than most make it out to be), but the government regulation I'm not as sanguine on.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sounds funny until you remember the Equal Time ruling for broadcast media.
Predmid
AG
It's the internet. You can always find someone to argue with.
histag10
AG
does this mean my bill will go down? I currently pay for "fast lane", which is still really slow here
Fonzie Scheme
AG
The fast lane isn't fast. /histag
Predmid
AG
Fast lane/slow lane had nothing to do with your at home max connection speed.

It is more for internet traffic as a whole through the major distribution centers.
wbt5845
AG

wbt5845
AG

histag10
AG
wtb- thanks, that actually helped
wbt5845
AG
quote:
wtb- thanks, that actually helped
You're welcome - it's the best online explanation I've seen.
Goodfield Nohit
I liked it better when it was just a series of tubes.
ac04
i heard life in the fast lane would surely make you lose your mind. so, you know... this is good
Ragoo
AG
But what does this have to do with closing gitmo?
VaultingChemist
AG
The biggest problem with net neutrality is the uncertainty about the government regulations and how it will affect any new innovations by emerging companies. Any time government gets involved, you can be assured that new taxes will be imposed, most likely to subsidize internet access to the "poor", much like Obama phones.
reb,
AG
hey so who wants to see a fortune 50 company throw a complete, petulant ****fit.

http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/fccs-throwback-thursday-move-imposes-1930s-rules-on-the-internet

you know you did something right when it pisses off all the right people.
bmc13
AG
my biggest problem with not having it was uncertainty about ATT, Comcast, Verizon, etc and how they would treat new innovations by anyone.

actually I have no uncertainty about it. I am 100% positive they would f*** it up as they were starting to do.
bigpoppaf204
AG
All this is fine and dandy, but big picture here is that the Government is taking over regulation of the Internet and for some unknown reason they haven't even published the 317 page regulation. All I know is where the Government gets involved,things tend to get f'ed.
toucan82
As long as they stop Big Internet I'm all for it
TEXAS A and M
Net neutrality has worked in China for years.
Poeag
AG
Trust busting
Chickenhawk
quote:
All this is fine and dandy, but big picture here is that the Government is taking over regulation of the Internet and for some unknown reason they haven't even published the 317 page regulation. All I know is where the Government gets involved,things tend to get f'ed.

Rook with a solid post. I would rather have the free market in charge, since they stand to lose something if they piss off the consumer, rather than the govt force things by law and lose nothing, since it is, well, law.
Predmid
AG
So have environmental regulations!

And Democracy!

I mean...
RAB87
AG
Our federal government is f'ing mess.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.