Navy Fighter Jet Flies Over Berkeley..

9,029 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bushytailed
campout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01/28/tuesdays-roaring-navy-fighter-jet-in-berkeley-was-just-a-pilot-saying-hello-to-his-brother-at-cal/

Since this is Berkeley, obviously the locals weren't happy. Turns out the pilot's brother goes to Berkeley, was about to PCS to Texas, so he does a fly-by.

People are still angry... because Berkeley. Navy says the jet flew at 2,500-3,000 feet, but witnesses (stoned out of their minds, no doubt) say it was between 300-500 feet.

Best part:
quote:
A local resident identified as JG wrote: "What happened this afternoon terrified me and my children. They were in their classrooms at BHS and Longfellow the the plane screamed over their heads. In my younger child's class, children began screaming out of fear."
Sounds like little kids got scared. Wait a second - BHS? Berkeley High School? Google -> "Longfellow, Berkeley, California" -> returns Longfellow Middle School. Jr High kids screaming out of fear because a jet flew at 2,500-3,000 ft?
jetch17
AG
p*ssies getting scared at the sight of AWESOME.
Ronnie Gardocki
Millennials are scared of everything.
gambochaman
AG
people are so freaking pathetic
jetch17
AG
jetch17
AG
jetch17
AG
Post removed:
by user
Tanya 93
Good for the brother.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

COME AT ME, BRO!!
Ryan the Temp
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Look, the sound of a jet out of nowhere may startle younger children, but once they realize that it's a plane they'll think it's awesome.
welborn
Gutsiest move I ever saw Mav.
GigEmAgs14
AG
can't stop watching these gifs
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Berkeley. Buncha wussified communists. If that happened at my kids' school they'd run to the window to see the cool jet doing cool jet things.
BigRobSA
quote:
Berkeley. Buncha wussified communists. If that happened at my kids' school they'd run to the window to see the cool jet doing cool jet things.
Yup.

At Elmendorf AFB in the 80s, we got let out several times in school to watch the older F4s get replaced with F15s.

Maybe if their lispy, limpwristed kids weren't taught to be such wusses, they'd have handled this without the tears and sh/tting themselves.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
At Elmendorf AFB in the 80s, we got let out several times in school to watch the older F4s get replaced with F15s.
I love me some F4s. It proved you could make anything fly if you put a big enough engine on it.
Post removed:
by user
Motel California
S
No one had PTSD
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Carswell AFB in the 80's. If you were afraid of jets you didn't want to be around when they did minimum interval takeoffs with the B-52's.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
I love me some F4s. It proved you could make anything fly if you put a big enough engine on it.
Me too. We had F4s at Hahn, Germany. From our apartment in base housing, you could see them taking off right outside our dining room window.

We were there in the late 70s (height of the cold war) and my dad would always say "that's the sound of freedom."

There was a back gate that would take you across the flightline, and sometimes a taxiing F4 would stop and the pilot would wave for us to cross.... We liked to bring company in that way, because it was pretty damn awesome.

We always joke that the F4 flies with two onboard emergencies - on fire and low on fuel.
30 yard line
My dad used to fly F4s

A pilot got into big trouble for this a few years ago in Germany. The Germans were furious. I will try to find some of the news articles, it was a bog deal over here at the time.
Hey Nav
AG
quote:
No love for the C-130s and T-33s stationed there, also?
GregZeppelin
AG
I used to love going to visit my uncle's family in Virginia Beach as a kid. I would stand outside and watch the jets flying over from NAS Oceana all afternoon. The occasional sonic booms were the best.
Motel California
S
quote:
I used to love going to visit my uncle's family in Virginia Beach as a kid. I would stand outside and watch the jets flying over from NAS Oceana all afternoon. The occasional sonic booms were the best.

I experienced that a couple of times while on the beach there
oldschool87
AG
I guess everything changes, but use to for Final Review, all kinds of F14's, 16's, 18,s would all return for the Review.

Sitting in any dorm or study hall next to the dorms, the windows would rattle like an earthquake, was freaking Awesome!

And nobody called the police to complain, woooooooosey society we live in!
Buck O Five
AG
Gifs
bigblackag12
AG
quote:

I was waiting for someone to jump up and grab onto the landing gear
aTm2004
AG
Jets used to (and probably still do) buzz the A&M campus all of the time. I never once felt scared. But I'm not a Commie ***** either.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
Jets used to (and probably still do) buzz the A&M campus all of the time. I never once felt scared. But I'm not a Commie ***** either.

I don't remember this ever happening '03-'07.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't remember this ever happening '03-'07.

It happened during my time there
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
No love for the C-130s and T-33s stationed there, also?
They were so common, it wasn't a big deal. The F4s and F15s, on a onesie/twosie formation were also common, this was literally an entire wing of F4s being decommissioned (and flown out) with the replacement F15s flying in ceremonially.

Now, when air shows happened, the C-130 gunships ( "Puff, the Magic Dragon" ) were the tits.

They'd do exhibitions of their "Kill them all!" prowess by shooting bunches of old cars/trucks/etc. The sound delay was awesome. You'd see the Vulcans light up....no sound...no sound.....then....BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.....cars gone!
Amazing Moves
quote:

No sir.. I think it's Maverick that wants some butts, amirite!?!?
Tagguy
AG
quote:
No one had PTSD

The precious little snowflake Aydyn does now.
Goose
AG
Had a family friend back in the eighties flying RF-4s out of Bergstrom who offered to take some hi-res photos of my uncle's ranch out near Sweetwater, as a thank-you gesture for having us all out there for Rattlesnake Roundup. It really wasn't a big deal for him since they were flying back and forth from Austin to Nellis routinely for exercises and it was right on the way.

My uncle said late one afternoon he's out feeding cows and from out of absolute nowhere that plane came over the hill at a few hundred feet off the deck, afterburners and all. Said it shook his truck like an earthquake, spooked the cows and they took off stampede style, and the Mexicans he had working for him at the time went into hiding until sometime the next day.

Later that evening Major Ray had to call to apologize because he forgot that the roll of film in the camera that afternoon happened to be classified so he couldn't share those shots; he'd have to come make another run with unclassified film. Oops, sorry... He did eventually, but my uncle asked that he call ahead the next time so that they could A) let the neighboring ranches know it was coming, and B) go get set up on the top of a mesa to watch. He said the "airshow" and pics were exceptional.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.