Help finding a Houston newspaper article from 1985

4,011 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Picard
laramie_goode
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

So when my family and I were eating and talking at the table for Thanksgiving today, my dad told a story about how when he went to the 1985 game against Texas on Thanksgiving, the seating capacity was so full, they had to set out seats on the track. He was one of the students at the time seated on the track and after the game, some Houston newspaper had published an article with a picture of the seating, and said you could see him and his friends in the background.

I was hoping I could track down the article and possibly print it out and frame it for him. I have tried searching on Houston Chronicle, Newspapers.com, and the Library of Congress for any newspaper articles with the picture. I have found some articles about the game, and even some very old/crude pictures, but none showing the seating on the track.

Would anyone know where else I could look? I understand that unless this came from a major newspaper, one that's still running today, I probably won't find it. But I figured I would take a shot at asking for help.

Does anyone know what else I can do?

Thank-you and Happy Thanksgiving.
mrnegative
Post tits
JaneDoe02
AG
Houston used to have 2 papers, the Chronicle and the Houston Post. The Post went out of business several years ago. I'm not sure if they have their archives anywhere online.
bmc13
AG
microfiche at a big library in Houston?
Tailgate88
AG
aTm2004
AG
quote:

This. But you're a millennial and may not know what either are.
histag10
AG
Might also try Cushing Library in campus. They keep papers as well, just don't know about the chronicle.

I worked on a locked floor, so I don't know much of what happened on other floors

Edit: you can also contact the chronicle. They keep at least one copy of all papers.
aggieswyn3
quote:
Post tits
Ag_N_Houston
AG
quote:
This was going to be my suggestion.
TexasRebel
AG
Who doesn't know what microfiche is?
Post removed:
by user
laramie_goode
Thank-y'all for the replies. I was already thinking about making a trip to a library in Houston and calling the Houston Chronicle.

I'll be checking this thread from time to time in case any other suggestions pop up. If I do manage to find it and can get a digital scan of it, I will see about posting it here.

Thank-y'all.
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
The Chronicle has a photo archive that goes back a very long time, and I think they absorbed the Houston Post photo archive as well. Call the Chronicle and ask for J.R. Gonzales. He is the Chronicle's resident expert on historical photos.

You can also email him from his bio page:
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/author/jr-gonzales/
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The fact that you know the date and section narrows it down.

The microfiche would help you find the page number and caption, which you could then use in requesting a better quality photo print from the Chronicle.
HossAg
AG
Starting off sentences with "so".
oldschool87
AG
That was every tu home game and once in a whole for other big games... White folding chairs all around the track!!!
Picard
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.