Okay engineers - Frozen turkey in hot oil question

2,970 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by itsyourboypookie
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With enough steel, enough hot oil, and a large enough turkey, could you create a frozen turkey cannon?
mid90
AG
Depends. Do you want to shoot a turkey? Or a stream of flaming grease?
proc
AG
Definitely the turkey.
Amazing Moves
As an engineer.. I say lets get a pic of your girlfriend for further analysis.
Chickenhawk
quote:

This is crucial for science.
we can pickle that
quote:

Social engineering
proc
AG
I have a wife and a female Labrador. You get the Labrador for lack of specificity.

gambochaman
AG
you'd have to make a cooking vessel that had an entry point that was the exact shape of the turkey. that way when you drop it in you allow the pressure to build up under the turkey until eventually the turkey blasts off
we can pickle that
quote:
I have a wife and a female Labrador. You get the Labrador for lack of specificity.

Ogre09
AG
It would be difficult. You would need the pressure to build up very unevenly on the back end of the turkey to create a force imbalance to launch it.

The turkey would also need to have the right fit with the container to seal the pressure imbalance but still allow the turkey to slide in and out (turkey diameter just barely smaller than the inner diameter of the vessel).
Ragoo
AG
quote:
It would be difficult. You would need the pressure to build up very unevenly on the back end of the turkey to create a force imbalance to launch it.

The turkey would also need to have the right fit with the container to seal the pressure imbalance but still allow the turkey to slide in and out (turkey diameter just barely smaller than the inner diameter of the vessel).

So everything gambro said 10 hours ago? Neato.
superunknown
AG
mythbusters did this (sorta) on a chicken level using an air cannon and a foam ring around the bird to create the uniform seal needed.

but I'm very interested in the stream of flaming grease mid90 mentioned.
Ogre09
AG
quote:
quote:

So everything gambro said 10 hours ago? Neato.

No. He said the entry point would need to be the exact same shape as the turkey, which isn't necessarily true and would not by itself allow for the pressure buildup and sudden release required.

Thanks for playing though.
Ragoo
AG
Shape is irrelevant from the turkey. Vessel has to be cylindrical with a spherical head or whatever pressure is needed to launch the turkey would be blown out the ass end with a flat head.
HossAg
AG
quote:

I'd say this is one of your better posts
Ogre09
AG
quote:
Shape is irrelevant from the turkey. Vessel has to be cylindrical with a spherical head or whatever pressure is needed to launch the turkey would be blown out the ass end with a flat head.

Not true either. Spherical heads are stronger than flat heads, all other things being equal. But a flat head could still be plenty strong for a turkey cannon.
TexasRebel
AG
BLEVEs do not make good directed projectile motors.
Goose
AG
quote:
....would not by itself allow for the pressure buildup and sudden release required.
Post removed:
by user
Ogre09
AG
A BLEVE is a fine propellant if there is a clear weak point to allow the energy to expand in one predetermined direction.
AEK
AG
Depends. Is it on a treadmill?
insanediego
AG

mid90
AG
quote:
mythbusters did this (sorta) on a chicken level using an air cannon and a foam ring around the bird to create the uniform seal needed.

but I'm very interested in the stream of flaming grease mid90 mentioned.
1. Get a turkey fryer
2. Overfill with oil
3. Drop frozen turkey in
4. ???
5. Profit

TexasRebel
AG
That's more of a BLEVE rocket, and the shape of the failure would not be predictable enough to hit a target at any distance.
GigEmBevo
So how many of yall actually wear pocket protectors?
itsyourboypookie
Yes I will launch a frozen turkey for y'all. No engineer needed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.