Not a great day for space tourism

862 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TriAg2010
Goodfield Nohit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Virgin Galactic Spaceship has crashed in the Mojave Desert...
CaddoAggie96
AG
One dead one injured?

Some dude was lucky.
mid90
AG
2nd commercial space accident this week

Bad week for the industry
Ag_EE
AG
Gonna break some eggs when making the omelette
toucan82
let's have a moment of silence for the person who died in this horrible accident
Aero95
AG
Uh, Paul . . . .
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Uh...Paul in Plano.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Uh...Paul in Plano.
Aero95
AG
That aside, what a terrible week for the industry. Branson & Scaled Composites are blazing a whole new trail and it is exciting and dangerous all over again like it was in the beginning of the space race. I think they'll ultimately succeed after they figure out what went wrong.
Aero95
AG
Not to mention 4 people died yesterday just across the airport from my work... 1 pilot crashed into a flight sim building and 3 additional people *in* a simulator perished. A truly horrific accident.
ham98
Sending people into space has always been a dangerous venture
jetch17
AG
quote:
Not to mention 4 people died yesterday just across the airport from my work... 1 pilot crashed into a flight sim building and 3 additional people *in* a simulator perished. A truly horrific accident.

Crazy, saw that down here and thought if you guys
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
jkag89
SpaceShipTwo Shattered
By Alan Boyle - NBC News

quote:
What caused the anomaly?

For now, the rocket motor is the prime suspect.

The motor's fuel and plumbing went through significant alterations since the previous rocket-powered flight in January. However, Kevin Mickey the president of Scaled Composites, the Mojave-based company that has been developing and testing SpaceShipTwo for Virgin Galactic pointed out that the new propulsion system went through extensive on-the-ground testing in advance of Friday's flight.

Another concern has to do with the nitrous oxide that interacts with the fuel to generate the rocket power. Nitrous oxide, also known as "laughing gas," is usually considered nontoxic. But three workers at Scaled Composites were killed on the ground in 2007 when a tank of nitrous oxide exploded.

In the wake of that 2007 blast, some critics voiced concerns about the hybrid rocket motor that was being being developed for SpaceShipTwo and said Virgin Galactic should have gone with a more traditional liquid-fueled rocket engine instead. That debate is now likely to get more attention.

hunterntexas
AG
quote:
One dead one injured?

Some dude was lucky.

It was a Virgin flight. No one got lucky.
TriAg2010
AG
A lot of yucks for a thread about violent deaths. I know, I know, GB Debbie Downer here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.