TAMU increases enrollment to over 56K

9,876 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Lance Uppercut
Richardson Zone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M University Preliminary enrollment, fall 2014: 56,602
Certified enrollment, fall 2013: 53,219
Change in number of enrolled students: 3,383
Percent change in enrolled students: 6.36 percent

UT-Austin is decreasing their enrollment:

The University of Texas at AustinPreliminary enrollment, fall 2014: 51,341
Certified enrollment, fall 2013: 52,059
Change in number of enrolled students: -718
Percent change in enrolled students: -1.38 percent

http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-San-Antonio-college-enrollment-figures-are-5845883.php#photo-6727780" class="postlink " target="_blank">http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-San-Antonio-college-enrollment-figures-are-5845883.php#photo-6727780
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Booooo 25x25
howitzercannon
AG
Enrollment shouldn't be an issue. The type of candidates we accept should...But it doesn't help that our State doesn't want to be the best in education, therefore we are accepting everyone that wouldn't do well in other states...

Thanks a lot Perry!
jim 78
AG
Academics and getting into TAMU is still harder that tu. I know the Texas A&M engineering school is trying to increase enrollment to 25000
Waltonloads08
AG
Can someone please pull up in state population growth over the past 10 years?

What is the state flagship school between houston and the metroplex for $500, alex?
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Academics and getting into TAMU is still harder that tu.

No... It isn't.
Richardson Zone
AG
Aggie "engineers" take classes at Blinn these days. Seriously.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
Academics and getting into TAMU is still harder that tu. I know the Texas A&M engineering school is trying to increase enrollment to 25000

What? Just saying things doesnt make them true.
russellme9
Having a high school senior who has applied I can tell you it has only gotten more competitive to get into A&M.
phatbeast
AG
HOW IS THIS AFR?
wesag
AG
quote:

You do realize that faculty aren't getting help to handle the increase, right?
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:

There is a pretty big difference in them taking Calculus 101 or Chemistry 101 at Blinn versus upper level engineering courses, which of course they are taking at A&M. Im not an engineer, but you are being silly.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
Having a high school senior who has applied I can tell you it has only gotten more competitive to get into A&M.

Since 1978 yes, since 2004, no.
zmurda
WHY? don't water down our product. Our diplomas still mean something....for now
ABATTBQ87
AG
enrollment was to be capped at 33,000 in 1987
Richardson Zone
AG
Google the "Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn". The Aggie jokes write themselves.
ag92tx
quote:

Lol you're dumb.
hassan10s
AG
Let in as many kids as you want, keep the degree requirements strict and rigorous. As long as the kids getting out are quality and qualified who cares how many students are coming through.
ag92tx
College is harder and more competitive than it ever was in the 70s and 80s. That is an absolute fact.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:

A&M peaked in the late 90s/early 2000s. It's gone downhill since then. Look at the academic rankings. A&M fell from a top 50 university to a top 80 with Baylor about to pass us by. SMU already did.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
No we don't.
wesag
AG
quote:
Let in as many kids as you want, keep the degree requirements strict and rigorous. As long as the kids getting out are quality and qualified who cares how many students are coming through.

There is a point at which size is no longer manageable in terms of teaching and ancillary services. It is a degree mill.
FriendlyAg
quote:
Google the "Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn". The Aggie jokes write themselves.

That's as much of a finance problem as it is anything else.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:

A&M peaked in the late 90s/early 2000s. It's gone downhill since then. Look at the academic rankings. A&M fell from a top 50 university to a top 80 with Baylor about to pass us by. SMU already did.

You can thank rik the Dick
FriendlyAg
quote:
quote:

There is a point at which size is no longer manageable in terms of teaching and ancillary services. It is a degree mill.

We aren't there
hassan10s
AG
quote:
quote:

In the traditional classroom setup yes. But from what I've heard from my professors they're considering a flipped classroom setup where you read the material and come in once/twice a week for purely asking questions and turning in assignments. In such a setup I don't think you need nearly as much personnel.
ag92tx
Y'all better pull your big time donor $ so the board of regents know you won't stand for this!! Lolol
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

In the traditional classroom setup yes. But from what I've heard from my professors they're considering a flipped classroom setup where you read the material and come in once/twice a week for purely asking questions and turning in assignments. In such a setup I don't think you need nearly as much personnel.

That is the very definition of degree mill. Keep reassuring yourself, though. Meanwhile, the sips have won academically.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:

Im worried about employers, not magazines.
MagnumLoad
tu is stuck on 40 acres (and that is generous). They are land locked. We on the other hand have tons of room to expand. Probably will top out around 65K. Now if just 44 of those are excellent football players we are good to go.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Im worried about employers, not magazines.

Yeah rankings don't matter. Keep telling yourself that. you do realize that Ags apply for other endeavors like medicine and law, right? You don't think rankings matter?
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I'm currently in ENGR 111 and I can say 2 things.

1.The class is completely unorganized and one of the TAs has told me that it's pretty common for him to come to class completely uninformed on what we're supposed to be doing that day.

2. There are tons of kids who get in because they're top ten percent at a small school but aren't qualified. (I know this isn't a new phenomenon but I have friends at Blinn that are smarter than some kids in my 111 class but went to a more competitive high school)

Increasing enrollment every year and trying to achieve 25x25 is just a terrible idea. The school won't be able to get enough qualified faculty to support the program, and I can already see that happening. Also my advisor told me they're having record numbers of freshman dropping engineering this year so now the rest of the departments are going to have to absorb all the access of 25x25. Good job higher ups
austinAG78748
SEC SEC SEC!!!!
wesag
AG
quote:
tu is stuck on 40 acres (and that is generous). They are land locked. We on the other hand have tons of room to expand. Probably will top out around 65K. Now if just 44 of those are excellent football players we are good to go.

The sips have chosen competitiveness. Advantage tu. Their applicant pool is better, sorry to tell you.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
quote:

Can we please quit going by the garbage that US News and World Report put out? They have become National Enquirer. Try to keep up.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.