Gents - what's the best razor on the market?

7,474 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Andy07
marqueebrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I put the rear axle of my F150 on jack stands, start it up, put a cinder block on the gas pedal, then shove my face against the tire tread until my beard (and most of my skin) is flailed away... Really hard to get that area between the nose and upper lip, tho...
marqueebrad
AG
So, what is the advantage of expensive shaving soap and exotic virgin camel-hair brush vs. the standard can of Barbisol from WalMart?
toucan82
you smell better and get to brag about it on the internet
Aero95
AG
There is a near-infinite selection of soaps & cremes to suit your tastes...and free of chemical crap to make it come out of a can and irritate your skin. It is ultimately cheaper since it lasts a LONG time compared to a can, but it might take a few tubs of soap/creme before you figure out what you like. Lathering with a brush is a nice ritual, and I think preps your skin for a better shave vs. rubbing crap from a can on your face with your fingers. YMMV
aggiesherpa
AG
Edwin jagger safety razor with derby blades
RAT90
AG
Any particular Merkur "safety" razor? There seems to be several different types.

Where did you get your razor and blades?
O'Doyle Rules
AG
dorcousa.com

seriously. check it out. not sure if it was mentioned yet.
FiTxAg04
AG
Merkur Progress with Israeli Crystal blades.
hillcountryag86
AG
quote:
Any particular Merkur "safety" razor? There seems to be several different types.

Bought the 34C thru Amazon.
Scimitar
AG
quote:

Some like the adjustable, some like the long (or short) handle, etc. go to an Art of Shaving or similar store for the razor so you can actually compare them.

Amazon for the blades
Drahknor03
AG
Merkur 34c with feather blades. Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Merkur 34c with feather blades..

thus is what I have used for 10 years.

I recently bought a travel Gillette that has a small 1.5 inch handle that love and have started using as my daily.
jbennett13
AG

Blades

Razor

BBRex
AG
Before you change your razor, try switching shaving cream first. I have a Merkur and have tried different blades, but it always requires multiple passes, so I rarely use it. I have been using Harry's razors for everyday use, and using a badger brush and Prorazo shave cream makes a huge difference in the quality of the shave compared to other shaving creams.
javajaws
AG
http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2419449/1
ajn142
AG
I just use a cheap shavette with some derby blades. Shaves as good as any cartridge I've ever had, provided I do my part. Definitely second shaving soap.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Ajn knows nothing about shaving so you shouldn't take his advice
Vernada
AG
quote:
Merkur safety w/Derby blades. Change at least once a week.

Same here. Bought 400 new blades last month for about $40.
Furlock Bones
AG
Safety razor with feather blades.
Vernada
AG
quote:
Before you change your razor, try switching shaving cream first. I have a Merkur and have tried different blades, but it always requires multiple passes, so I rarely use it. I have been using Harry's razors for everyday use, and using a badger brush and Prorazo shave cream makes a huge difference in the quality of the shave compared to other shaving creams.

Kinda agree with BB.

Sometimes just changing your prep can help.

But the safety razor method is supposed to take multiple passes.
Protrident
AG
I've found the best is to grow a beard and shape it once a week. My razors last about 2-3 months now! :-)
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It is supposed to take multiple passes. Normally I will do one with the grain and one against. Sometimes I will do one across.
Scimitar
AG
I typically only do one pass with derby blades and it lasts most of the day. Two passes for special occasions.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I don't like running my hand the other direction and it be rough. That's just me though. I also don't usually shave every day
Scimitar
AG
Fair, but I don't spend much time rubbing my face with my hands, so I hardly notice
Vernada
AG
Liar
toucan82
pics or it didn't happen
Scimitar
AG
Been enjoying reading this blog. Lots of great info.

Shaving 101
EFE
AG
quote:

+

No shaving gel necessary.

Started using shave secret this morning. Impressed with it so far. Thanks old bald man.
AggieT
AG
quote:
Merkur with feather blades.
Claude!
Tangentially related question for you gents fond of the brush and safety razor. What kind of a stand do you have for your razor and brush? Right now, I'm just using the plain old acrylic stand that came with my brush, but I yearn for something a bit more stylish.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Feather or GTFO
752bro4
AG
Merkur with Derby blades

I have a badger brush and soap from Art of Shaving that I use on special occasions or when I have a lot of time. Typically use Nivea balm before going with the grain, and again before going against the grain. Been doing this for 3-4 years. Recently on a trip, TSA took my blade away so I bought a Mach 3 at CVS. It really didn't do nearly as good of a job even after with and against grain, and I got some burn/bumps on my neck.

I shave 3x week, unless stubble isn't appropriate for my weekend plans. Blades last a week then get tossed. Could possibly last longer, but they're so cheap, who cares?
Andy07
AG
I bought a parker safety razor from here: http://www.maggardrazors.com/ along with some sample blades. I ended up sticking to the 7 O'Clock from Gillete. 100 blades for $20. They'll last me around 2 years I'd guess. I buy proraso shaving soap which is like $10 once a year or so.

Really recommend maggard, great customer service.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.