Dog people

3,689 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LarLar
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
We didn't expect it to end like that and the thing that bothers me the most is that I wasn't there with her when she passed.

My old fella that I had since I was 8 passed away while I was in my last semester of college at A&M. He was 13. I didn't get to say goodbye and it still bothers me. My parents let me know and I drove home and buried him myself and know exactly where it is.

That was in 2012. I'm getting close to getting a new pup.
Chipotlemonger
AG
FiTxAg04 - the way you described that nearly put a tear to my eye. Sorry that you did not get a chance to say goodbye.

T&P to the OP.
swimmerbabe11
Oh no...
This makes me sad. She's a beautiful friend.

I keep my Muffy's ashes and once I have a forever home, I'll bury the ashes. That's also an option.

Also, FiTXAg04, I went through that about a year ago, it was really hard. My baby got into rat poison and we didn't know thats what had happened. It's a terrible feeling.

GoneGirl
AG
What's her quality of life other than the control issue? If you fix that, does she have other issues? How much time are you gaining? 6 months? A year? More than a year?

Only you can determine the value in that.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I have a 13 yo golden that's really starting to show his age. I cry every time I think about having to put him down and driving to my dad's to bury him. I cannot imagine losing him and not being there so I will now add that to my list of things to worry about. I'm very sorry for what you are going through and know you will make the right decision for your friend and family member.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Our vet was very helpful when our 14 year old dachsund got sick. One day she was fine, next day she wouldn't get out of bed much and couldn't hold anything down.
His tests showed that her liver was failing and that there was not much he could do at all.

The whole thing took just a few seconds. She took her last breath in my arms before he was done with the injection. It was very sad but I knew we did the right thing.
If we had not done that she would have really struggled and suffered.
AggieRob93
AG
Some people will question what you might spend on treatment/therapy. It is up to you and your means, but it is mostly up to the well being of the furry family member.

If quality of life is poor following diagnoses and treatments, then the question you don't want to ask HAS to be asked. The decision you make is the only one that our companions truly ask of us, and it is our compassion for them that will allow us to gather the mental and emotional strength in helping them make the transition from this plane of existence to the next.

The time to choose, painful as it is certain to be, will come. No time is ever right for the one(s) letting go, but letting them go with while they still have some dignity is the least they deserve. It is a judgement call that must be made for their sake and only for their sake.

I pray that you will find solace in knowing that you are their voice, and that your word and your touch is all they will need to be comforted when it is time to say goodbye. You will hurt, but the shared memories will carry you through.
Texker
AG
I had to put my 14 yr old Dalmatian down in January due to cancer. She suddenly stopped eating and drinking and became very weak very quickly so she wasn't going to make it much longer but I couldn't just sit there and watch her suffer.
GAP76
AG
very hard decision.... I am too a big dog lover.... Once quality of life becomes a real issue. then passing on with dignity is an option that should be embraced.

I lost one of my big dogs on what was one of the happiest three days of my life... moving back to Aggieland..... She suffered gastric bloat and gastric distortion on the move/drive from the East coast to aggieland. I found a Vet in the middle of the night in Little Rock, but something like that goes fast, and it was too late.... I miss her and I wished she would have had the opportunity to go on walks in Aggieland with us.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I'm crying like a baby. I should have known better than to read this.
nuRowdy
Yes you should have.
ellebee
I'm gonna have to go read up on dahmer or columbine to cheer myself up after reading this.
AMW2010
AG
My newest addition...

She was in the running for the new Revilie

BackwardsInBoots
AG
Collie or sheltie?
AMW2010
AG
She's a rough collie
Post removed:
by user
PastrySquirrel
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Terrible situation. I suppose the best we can do is to consider that they've had a good life. Buzzfeed (I think) had a photo essay on a family that captured their dog's last day and all the fun stuff they did before the vet came and put her down. Lotta onions being chopped that day.

Sorry you're having to go through this, Mrs. S. Probably won't be long for us at our house. We have 13, 12, and 8 YO pups.
AMW2010
AG
Happy Halloween from Dixie

Gigem Trevas
Thor77
AG
If the health is that poor.....then you have to love it enough to let it go. Easier said than done, but better than watching them suffer.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

WTF does this laughy face mean?
reb,
AG
poor lady. I'm sorry lar.
CBattBQ87
AG
Our first girl fought through the last weekend we had with her, and passed while we both were at work. I honestly believe she did it to save us from having to watch her die.

Of Dogs and Men

"It would have been better if men and dogs grew from boyhood and puppyhood together, and in so doing pass on together. However, nature is not so ordered. So long as there are dogs and men, dogs will die and men will weep for them." - Burton Spiller
HossAg
AG
When my 18 year old had to be put to sleep, we all Sat there right next to him looking into his eyes. We were the last things he saw before he closed them, and that was a special moment. I'll never forget that.
phatbc
quote:
When my 18 year old had to be put to sleep, we all Sat there right next to him looking into his eyes. We were the last things he saw before he closed them, and that was a special moment. I'll never forget that.
18? Dang what breed?
HossAg
AG
He was some kind of mix between beagle dachsund and Chihuahua I think. Kind of a strange mix, but he was a good dog.
62strat
AG
I'm on the fence of schedule vs natural.

My childhood pet, which was still my parents pet when I was an adult, was in bad shape. They couldn't face the scheduling of putting down. Then one night on a routine pee break outside, he was unsupervised and walked out to the lake and fell in. Parents searched all night for him, finding his body in the lake the next am. Awful way to lose your loved one.

My pet more recently, after months of declining quality, we decided on a Friday to bring her in. Thursday night, she died in my arms unexpectedly.

One viewpoint, they are at home in a familiar place with you, but you never know if something unintended will happen like to my parents, and I don't know if my little one was in extreme pain or not during this last moments.
Other way, they are in strange place, strange people, but you know it's coming and can prepare for that last little bit of life and it a peaceful ending.
weeza
AG
Tough deal. I've held all of mine when they went under the needle. Tough as heck on me but I like to believe it was comforting for them.
jamotoe1
I'm in the same situation right now and it's awful. My sweet 11 year old Sheltie that I've had since college is declining fast. He hasn't been eating and has renal failure (among other things)and we had him in the hospital for 4 days to try and improve things. Then we had blood work a week later which came back on Friday and all his levels are much worse. He's still really happy and wants to play and do things but he won't eat hardly anything (steaks, burgers, chicken ANYTHING) and we never gave him people food before he got sick. The vet said any type of food he'll eat is better than no food. We're just struggling with choosing the right time since he still seems so happy and engaged but we know he's not sustainable without eating. I'm not ready to say goodbye but I'd never want to hang on when he's suffering and ready to go.
piag94
AG
So sorry. Can't imagine when our girl is gone. Not completely knowing your situation, why not keep her inside and make her days easier. Cleaning up #2 is a small price to pay, IMO.
AliasMan02
AG
If you do it, do it at home. I'm certain you can get a vet to come out to the house.
CrottyKid
AG
I thought this thread was going to be about the Aggieland thread.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.