Dog people

3,735 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LarLar
Post removed:
by user
Rutedown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Comes down to the quality of life.
aggieswyn3
aggieswyn3
Kate Beckett
AG
This happened to us last year...she wasn't getting up, peeing and #2-Ing on her pillow...it was the worst phone call I ever got from my parents. If they are suffering and their quality of life is decreasing, then you know it is time.
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
Comes down to the quality of life.

This. I'm sorry Lar.

Will someone come to you?
FiTxAg04
AG
We just lost a 10 year old dog a month and a half ago to what they believe to be cancer of some sort. She went from normal to really bad shape in a matter of days and the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong. We admitted her to the vet's office on a Thursday for diagnostic tests and to receive IV fluids and other supportive care over the weekend.

My wife, the vet and I decided we would see how the weekend went and we would make the decision on Monday to put her down or not. I was dreading making that decision. Well, I got a call at 8:30 on Sunday morning from our vet saying our dog had just gone into cardiac arrest. She was gone. We didn't expect it to end like that and the thing that bothers me the most is that I wasn't there with her when she passed. I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye. Instead, she died in a strange place surrounded by strange people, probably in fear. You'll never be ready, but I know next time around, I'll have an easier time making that call because of this experience.

Best wishes; you have my prayers.
Holly Golightly
AG
Had to make that call for my sweet girl almost exactly this time a year ago.

T & Ps
nuRowdy
Mine died two weeks ago after 13 years. Just know where to bury him and you'll be fine.
I Play With Guns
S
Many many T&P's........
Post removed:
by user
Natasha Romanoff
I'm so sorry.
Post removed:
by user
Pollo Libre
She's so pretty!! I'm sorry you're having to go through this.
Mr. White
What a beautiful dog!
B-1 83
thegooseisloose
I just had to put my 13 year old dog down a few weeks ago. He had been battling cancer for a few years and it finally overtook his body and he was unable to walk. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. My parents
decided to have him cremated and his ashes were put in very pretty wooden box for them to keep. At first they were going to bury him but my mom couldn't bear the thought of leaving his body behind when they moved so cremating him was the easiest for them.

If you do decide to get your dog cremated make sure you knowwhat kind of cremation it is. Most people don't realize that when they cremate dogs they do several dogs at one time and when you get your ashes back you can have ashes from other dogs mixed in with your dog. You can specify that you want a private cremation.

Chi374
AG
One of the hardest decisions to have to make.

T&P!
Geralt of Rivia
S
I'm sorry, MFS...she is a very beautiful dog
nuRowdy
Another reason I buried my dog myself. Why would you hold on to ashes of a dog?
HBCanine08
AG
I am sorry to hear that, OP. Try to spoil her as much as possible. Steak, burger, whatever.
Preferred Nomenclature
AG
PN dislikes this.
datrixstunna
AG
I cant imagine the day I will have to make that call. T&P.
GigEmBevo
quote:
I cant imagine the day I will have to make that call. T&P.

+1
AgBeliever
AG
Our sheltie passed away Labor Day weekend in '13. I buried her in the backyard that day.

Took me a few months to get over it. She was 16 so she lived a long life.

Sorry for your loss.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
i don't know what to do with her after, I have nowhere to bury her here. But it feels weird to keep ashes or something. Or for her to just
disappear. There's not a good answer.

You should have a pet crematory somewhere near. Having the ashes isn't weird at all. You can also go and spread the ashes somewhere as well but nothing at all weird about keeping them. We had to put one of our dogs down almost 3 years ago. Had the vet come to the house to do it and the crematory guy came and picked him up afterwards then brought the ashes back a few days later. Sorry you have to go through that because it sucks.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:

If you do decide to get your dog cremated make sure you knowwhat kind of cremation it is. Most people don't realize that when they
cremate dogs they do several dogs at one time and when you get your
ashes back you can have ashes from other dogs mixed in with your dog.
You can specify that you want a private cremation.

And this.
HossAg
AG
This is making me so sad seeing these pictures.
ellebee
I'm so sorry. I had to put my buddy down a few years ago and it was devastating. I have his ashes in the wooden box they gave me on my shelf with his picture and I'm very glad now that I have it. If it is rainbow bridge your vet uses then they give you a nice box. The one my friends vet uses gave her a plaster paw print too.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
The one my friends vet uses gave her a plaster paw print too.

This so sweet, but makes me so sad too.
GoneGirl
AG
Very sad for you, it's never an easy decision. I backed out on taking my cat (the real Elsie) to get it done twice because I lost my nerve. On the third try, when she could no longer care for the white fur she'd always cleaned for hours.... I made up my mind to do it.

But she deserves to go with dignity and with you next to her, so she isn't alone or afraid.

Many vets will let you come in after hours so they aren't rushed and you need not face other pets or people.

Get her cremated - then you can scatter her ashes in her favorite park, or along her walk, or in your yard.

But give her a perfect day first.

Post removed:
by user
nuRowdy
How much is that going to cost? My cousin harassed me for years buying a pure breed lab for hundreds of dollars 13 years ago but he has already spent $7,000 on the dog his wife "rescued" a year ago.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
This is always tough to go through. Got my first dog at 10, a golden retriever. 12 years later I came home from class and she was having a seizure so I rushed her to the vet. After 20 minutes of waiting the vet came out with a look I will never forget and he was holding her collar. I lost it. I couldn't bring myself to getting another dog until about a year and a half ago.

Sorry you have to go through this.
Gigem Trevas
quote:
How much is that going to cost? My cousin harassed me for years buying a pure breed lab for hundreds of dollars 13 years ago but he has already spent $7,000 on the dog his wife "rescued" a year ago.
7k in vet bills.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.