Work Politics SUCK!

6,334 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Pollo Libre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wish everyone were responsible for just themselves.

This random person I work with (agency only - not in my specialized office) stopped me on my way out and made an incredibly offensive comment to me about my gender and my voice. I was so shocked that I just walked away immediately shaking my head. So now I'm stuck with this argument do you say something to him? His manager? Let it go? If I do say something and he gets in trouble, is he going to retaliate?

Ugh. People should just have 20 points and each time they F up, one point is taken away until there are none left and then they're fired. I shouldn't have to be sitting here all confuzzled about what I should do and how it will effect me. And in the same vein, I shouldn't have to just deal with his crap!

I can't imagine that a man would have this problem. Women are F'n BSC.
chipotle
Post the comment.
Diamond Geezer
Sounds like this was an emotional experience for you.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Even if his comments were offensive, were they accurate? Unless they were unfounded, it's hard to fault the guy for spittin' truth.
End Of Message
AG
Why 20? You must work for the government.
GarlandAg2012
AG
You're an adult who uses the word "confuzzled" so the person who made the comment is probably not far off. Also, getting offended is a waste of time.
The Wonderer
AG
You sound like a woman.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
Ronnie Gardocki
Concentrate on business.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Those are a lot of words for not saying what happened.
End Of Message
AG
Also, not sure you understand the definition of office politics...err, work politics.
Pollo Libre
Sure I do, if a person complains then they get the stigma as a complainer. So hey, when it's time to promote or hire for a position, someone says "Oooh...she has a history of complaining and reporting others behaviors. There's this equaly qualified person that hasn't had any issues"

That's politics. That's BS and it happens every GD day.
swimmerbabe11
First off, most offices have a non-retaliation policy.

Secondly, did you confront him about it when he said it? If not, do nothing and confront him next time he says something of the sort. If he responds in a poor manner, tell the person you directly report to.

Just give him the chance to apologize first. There is a chance he did not mean to be mean spirited or was teasing.
Ragoo
AG
do you sound like a man?
End Of Message
AG
quote:
made an incredibly offensive comment to me about my gender and my voice

quote:
person complains then they get the stigma as a complainer

I think were all lost here. Do tell.
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
Sure I do, if a person complains then they get the stigma as a complainer. So hey, when it's time to promote or hire for a position, someone says "Oooh...she has a history of complaining and reporting others behaviors. There's this equaly qualified person that hasn't had any issues"

When people report silly stuff like that it becomes the joke of the entire office.
histag10
AG
quote:

That sounds like a boss making a logical decision, not politics. But what do I know.
GregZeppelin
AG
That's not politics. That's just a consequence of an action.

If there was an unspoken understanding that you couldn't complain about the person without losing your job because he's the boss's nephew, that would be office politics.

Don't want to be thought of as a thin skinned complainer? Then grow thicker skin and don't complain.
Pollo Libre
quote:

Secondly, did you confront him about it when he said it? If not, do nothing and confront him next time he says something of the sort. If he responds in a poor manner, tell the person you directly report to.

Just give him the chance to apologize first. There is a chance he did not mean to be mean spirited or was teasing.

Yes, our office has a non-retaliation policy. But c'mon - you mention something to someones supervisor and then they have to talk with the worker. That person knows who reported them. Then they start crap talkin' about you or some take it as far as doing damage to their desk or car!

And secondly, no, I didn't immediately confront him. I walked away in shock. Not long after the comment, I went back and asked what he meant. He said he was joking, and I told him it offended me, especially since he and I never talk to each other, and he apologized.

I don't have managerial skills. I'm working on it, but my immediate reaction was to be stunned and feel stressed about how to deal with it. I don't know why though. I had two choices. Say something or don't and move on.

Hindsight is 20/20. :/
Ronnie Gardocki
Concentrate on business.
Pollo Libre
Ronnie, how do you feel like I was not concentrating on business? I was leaving my desk to complete a task and he stopped me.
yeahtoast
AG
End Of Message
AG
A) You must work for the government, and B) you must be a millennial.

Nonsense like this doesn't happen in actual offices - and, if it does, bosses don't care to hear about your personal problems.
histag10
AG
You should know by now that Ronnie doesn't read the thread, he just posts useless crap whenever he can.
Pollo Libre
quote:
A) You must work for the government, and B) you must be a millennial.

Nonsense like this doesn't happen in actual offices - and, if it does, bosses don't care to hear about your personal problems.

Federal employee here. But I was born in '79. I think I missed the millennial stigma. I just think I'm immature. I don't have ALL of the life experiences!! Just what I've learned so far.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ronnie Gardocki
swimmerbabe11
You should always report to your supervisor, not someone else's.

Sounds like this issue is now a non-issue. Congrats!

(unless of course you are now feeling insecure about your wierd voice and boob-laden gender, in which case, I can't help you.)
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
Ronnie, how do you feel like I was not concentrating on business? I was leaving my desk to complete a task and he stopped me.

I'm talking about after the fact. Just move on, concentrate on business. It honestly makes people look like they don't have enough work to do when they complain about stuff that doesn't matter. I'm way too busy to go to HR and complain about somebody unless they assault me or threaten my family or other coworkers.
AG
So it offended you, but was he right?
Pollo Libre
quote:
quote:

I'm talking about after the fact. Just move on, concentrate on business. It honestly makes people look like they don't have enough work to do when they complain about stuff that doesn't matter. I'm way to busy to go to HR and complain about somebody unless they assault me or threaten my family or other coworkers.

Valid point, Ronnibald. Valid point, indeed.

However, I will say, your argument of being "way to [sic] busy to go to HR..." is kind of weak considering you're not too busy to entertain us all with your sound reasoning and logic.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
(unless of course you are now feeling insecure about your wierd voice and boob-laden gender, in which case, I can't help you.)

Unsecured boobs
Geralt of Rivia
S
quote:
Valid point, Ronnibald. Valid point, indeed.
Does not compute
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, our office has a non-retaliation policy.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yep it's in the rules, but bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Did I say "bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha" enough? There's LOTS of ways to retaliate in the gub'ment that cannot be proven or charged.
we can pickle that
Thumbs up for the correct use of [sic]
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, our office has a non-retaliation policy.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yep it's in the rules, but bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Did I say "bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha" enough? There's LOTS of ways to retaliate in the gub'ment that cannot be proven or charged.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on the OP, I am assuming the guy said he thought she sounded like a guy?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.