Chirrens with anxiety

3,779 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ballchain
Pollo Libre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Condensed question: If you notice your child has anxiety, how do you approach it/handle it?

Back history:

As I child I suffered from trichotillomania (Trichotillomania is hair loss from repeated urges to pull or twist the hair until it breaks off. Patients are unable to stop this behavior, even as their hair becomes thinner.) but didn't realize it until I was an adult and a pschologist friend told me about it in one of her patients. I would pull hairs out individually until I had a bald spot and people started asking me why. Suprisingly, I just stopped doing it. However, I suffered from panic attacks when I was in public situations like a movie theater or shopping malls. My parents never did anything to address this and consequently, my 20's were spent learning how to cope with anxiety the healthy way.

Yesterday my girlfriend mentioned her daughter is losing her hair and always has her hands in it. She said she's an anxious person in general. So I shared with her my above life history and gently encouraged her to possible consider getting her daughter counseling now to learn how to cope and better control her anxious thoughts. Her moms eyes filled with tears because she didn't know what to do and felt responsible for her daughter potentially having the same adolescence I did.

So all of this made me wonder - what would you do? What are some good ideas from parents with anxious children?

I will say that my girlfriends husband is kind of a bully. He's insanely intelligent and consequently hard on his eldest daughter to be brilliant, which all signs show she is just as smart.

Ronnie Gardocki
Good luck.
HBCanine08
AG
Que "anxiety" que ni la chingada. Use the chancla. Provlem solved
EFE
AG
quote:
consequently, my 20's were spent learning how to cope with anxiety the healthy way

I'm not sure that your constant bean flicking would be considered healthy by most health care professionals.
Fun to watch? Most of the time. Healthy? ehhhh.....
Pollo Libre
quote:

MOM!?!? IS THAT YOU!?!??!
Scruffy
AG
Give them some weed and a bag of Cheetos.
Knife_Party
Well it is her fault in a weird sort of "she inherited your genes" way. I'd be shocked if mom herself didn't have some anxiety. Most people are not very self aware. You can tell her that generally speaking psychologists have the most success treating anxiety disorders.
80s Guy
quote:
Human
AG
WGAS

I got my own problems
I Can't help you
2012Ag
AG
quote:
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:

EOT on second reply. Nice work puppy.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
Condensed question: If you notice your child has anxiety, how do you approach it/handle it?

Back history:

As I child I suffered from trichotillomania (Trichotillomania is hair loss from repeated urges to pull or twist the hair until it breaks off. Patients are unable to stop this behavior, even as their hair becomes thinner.) but didn't realize it until I was an adult and a pschologist friend told me about it in one of her patients. I would pull hairs out individually until I had a bald spot and people started asking me why. Suprisingly, I just stopped doing it. However, I suffered from panic attacks when I was in public situations like a movie theater or shopping malls. My parents never did anything to address this and consequently, my 20's were spent learning how to cope with anxiety the healthy way.

Yesterday my girlfriend mentioned her daughter is losing her hair and always has her hands in it. She said she's an anxious person in general. So I shared with her my above life history and gently encouraged her to possible consider getting her daughter counseling now to learn how to cope and better control her anxious thoughts. Her moms eyes filled with tears because she didn't know what to do and felt responsible for her daughter potentially having the same adolescence I did.

So all of this made me wonder - what would you do? What are some good ideas from parents with anxious children?

I will say that my girlfriends husband is kind of a bully. He's insanely intelligent and consequently hard on his eldest daughter to be brilliant, which all signs show she is just as smart.

Real answer. I think it depends on the level of anxiety the child is experiencing. I believe that a little bit of anxiety is normal and part of the growing and maturing process as the child encounters new situations and has to learn how to handle them. However, if the child's anxiety were getting to the point of it manifesting in a physical manner as you described and/or was severely interfering in the child's everyday life, then I think it would be time to try to get the kid some help. I'd probably start out with a school counselor, then escalate it to a psychologist if necessary.
96ags
AG
quote:
my girlfriends husband
I think some may have missed this important part....
Pollo Libre
you dillholes say that I make everything about sex. However, methinks y'all do a good enough job on your own.
chipotle
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Lol, I thought it said black history
Tagguy
AG
quote:
So all of this made me wonder - what would you do?

Yell loudly until all anxiety goes away
Goose
AG
Take the kid to see a psychologist.
T&P
Weed is the answer you're looking for
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
swimmerbabe11
I think trying to address the behavior at home is the first route. What is causing her to be anxious?

I mean, if she is moving her hairline back, creating noticable bald spots, or habitually gnawing on her hair, that is more severe. If she is just tugging at it a lot, then try to observe what escalates that behavior and either address it with her or help change her environment.
Goose
AG
Take the kid to see a psychologist.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
quote:
So all of this made me wonder - what would you do?

Yell loudly until all anxiety goes away

BlitzBrother
No one answer , can be complex - If not started school , hold back one year and then put in a small school , probably small private Montessori school .
ballchain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.