This month in Astrodome history

2,783 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bmc13
Diamond Geezer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Rolling Stones performed, on two consecutive nights, at the Astrodome during their 1981 North American Tour on October 28-29, 1981

Dr. Faustus
AG
I hope that when I bump this thread in five years, I'll be saying "...that gigantic concrete eyesore got torn down, and everybody rejoiced."
aTm2004
AG
That was 32 days before my dad got home from a bar to my mom telling him her water broke, and then proceeded to drive her to the hospital drunk.
Claude!
The Rolling Stones were presented by Jovan Musk?
Ronnie Gardocki
Did you know?

On this day October 21, 1960 in Richlands, NC, Franklin Stubbs was born. He might best be remembered in Houston as the answer to the trivia question "Who played first base for the Astros in between Davis and Bagwell?" His lone year in Houston was 1990 when he contributed a .261 average along with a career-best 23 homers and 71 RBIs.

Happy birthday, Franklin!

ballchain
Madaman
Ive been to richlands nc
BoxingAg84
What's taking so long?

nuRowdy
That's not history. It's just some **** that happened a long time ago.
Diamond Geezer
Goodfield Nohit
Kevin Bass struck out
Diamond Geezer
The Astrodome transcends municipal allegiances in this state. Most Texans are proud of the Astrodome and its historical significance to the state of Texas. The vocal few that want to tear it down and deny its importance are the same ones who think Jason Garrett is a great coach.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
The Astrodome transcends municipal allegiances in this state. Most Texans are proud of the Astrodome and its historic significance to the state of Texas. The vocal few that want to tear it down and deny its importance are the same ones who think Jason Garrett is a great coach.

6-1 and top of the NFC East...
An Ag in CO
AG
Ronald Reagan wanted to outsource the demolition of the Astrodome.

quote:
We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this city. Mr. Gorbachev. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this dome!
aTm2004
AG
quote:
The Astrodome transcends municipal allegiances in this state. Most Texans are proud of the Astrodome and its historic significance to the state of Texas. The vocal few that want to tear it down and deny its importance are the same ones who think Jason Garrett is a great coach.

They tore down Yankee Stadium. Down with the Dome!
nuRowdy
It's not a vocal few when the majority of us vote to tear it down.
Diamond Geezer
quote:
I hope that when I bump this thread in five years, I'll be saying "...that gigantic concrete eyesore got torn down, and everybody rejoiced."

You proved my point: you are star-shaped glasses wearing Cowboys fan. See my Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl thread to find out more about yourself. Vocal minority.
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
quote:

They tore down Yankee Stadium. Down with the Dome!

Yankee stadium was never considered a historical landmark structurally. Look at the original blueprints of old Yankee stadium, they literally tore down 90% of it and rebuilt it over the years, before tearing it completely down. The Astrodome was the first of it's kind ever created. It's called the eighth wonder of the world for a reason. #DoTheResearch
ballchain
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:

You proved my point: you are star-shaped glasses wearing Cowboys fan. See my Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl thread to find out more about yourself. Vocal minority.

I proved no point at all. Being a Cowboys fan has nothing to do with wanting to tear down the dome. Nice red herring though.
toucan82
Andre the Giant (R.I.P.) was the real Eighth Wonder of the World
Diamond Geezer
quote:
quote:
quote:

I proved no point at all. Being a Cowboys fan has nothing to do with wanting to tear down the dome. Nice red herring though.
I appreciate your apology. Next time, just give us a full disclaimer before you post your opinions about the Dome.
#Transparency
petey88

Astrodome got two Stones shows on a Wednesday & Thursday.

The Cotton Bowl had them for Halloween on a Saturday in a driving storm, and the next day Sunday November 1, 1981, perfect weather.

Still have an old photo from Sunday from down in front, some chick on her boyfriend's shoulders showing Jagger her tits.

Even though a long time ago, we hosted a Halloween bash that Saturday night with four kegs of Heinekein. Next morning, bodies passed out all over the house, bologna thumb tacked to ceiling. Woke everybody up, and went back for the Sunday show.
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:

Astrodome got two Stones shows on a Wednesday & Thursday.

The Cotton Bowl had them for Halloween on a Saturday in a driving storm, and the next day Sunday November 1, 1981, perfect weather.

Still have an old photo from Sunday from down in front, some chick on her boyfriend's shoulders showing Jagger her tits.

Even though a long time ago, we hosted a Halloween bash that Saturday night with four kegs of Heinekein. Next morning, bodies passed out all over the house, bologna thumb tacked to ceiling. Woke everybody up, and went back for the Sunday show.

Cool story. Post that picture if you find it.
HossAg
Ronnie Gardocki
Happy birthday to "the general" Gerald Young!

October 22, 1964 - Gerald Young is born in Tela, Honduras. The swift outfielder batted .246, scored 249 runs and stole 153 bases over parts of six seasons in Houston. His best comes in 1988 when he swipes a team-high 65 bases to go with a .257 average.

Dr. Faustus
AG
WGAS
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Ronnie/Diamond, how do you decide which handle you will post under? If you're dressed as a man, is it Ronnie Time? I'm guessing when the costume jewelry comes out, it's Geezer's time to shine? I'll hang up and listen.
Ronnie Gardocki
Lol! Do you really think we're the same person? Wow
HossAg
AG
Well, he's not crazy for thinking it, tbh.
we can pickle that
quote:
Lol! Do you really think we're the same person? Wow

I don't think that, fwiw. I'm still trying to figure out whose sock you are though. I'm convinced DG is an actual old guy though.
Ronnie Gardocki
I'm not a sock, you should know that.
Scotty Flamingo
quote:
Andre the Giant (R.I.P.) was the real Eighth Wonder of the World

This. And Chyna was the 9th.
we can pickle that
quote:
I'm not a sock, you should know that.

Why should I know that?
Diamond Geezer
Uni, did something happen in your life in the last few months that made you cold and callous?

#ConcernedAboutAFriend
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.