Zeppelin fans

7,326 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bonham. He drove every single song. Without him, none of the famous Zeppelin recordings are possible. Without the albums, they don't become the huge phenomenon they became.
Professor Frick
AG
serious answer: Andy and Glyn Johns
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Neil Peart
SRBS
Led obviously
62strat
AG
quote:
Splitting after Bonzos death is the proof.

I think someone dying has quite a different impact on the rest of the band members than if he had just 'left' the band...

So that doesn't prove anything IMO.
aggie813
John Paul Jones was actually the most overall talented member. John B. was my favorite.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:

You are a bad person for putting that link up.
nai06
AG
pete best
McCoveysCove
can you imagine Andy Gibb singing instead of Robert Plant? Over the Hills and Far Away? Four Sticks? too funny
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

I think someone dying has quite a different impact on the rest of the band members than if he had just 'left' the band...

I see your point, but didn't like half the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd die in a plane crash and they kept going?
RGV AG
AG
Plant, his persona was just damm fitting for the band. All members very talented.
Win At Life
AG
Zep would have been no more than a garage band without Pete Townshend.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see your point, but didn't like half the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd die in a plane crash and they kept going?

Yes, same with Metallica, AC/dc, ozzy...

These bands chose to go on and it worked.

And tell me Bon Scott wasn't absolutely integral to AC/DCs sound; yet they went on without him.

Don't think Bonham was any exception. A new drummer wouldn't have drastically changed the sound. Not as much as page or plant leaving. Yes yes he was innovative and had a 'sound', but come on, most of zeppelin is straight forward rock n roll drums. He wasn't crazy out of left field like some drummers.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
The Yardbirds had a heavy influence on Page . So Imma say Clapton and Jeff Beck. Without them, there
might not ever had been a Led Zeppelin.
RGV AG
AG
It was about the magic that they created together, I think both Plant and Jones were really bummed out about Bonham's death. It has been a long time since I read "Hammer of the Gods", but I think the vibe between Jones and Page was just not good and without a personality like Bonzo diluting some of the egos it is doubtful that the band could have maintained, much less replicated, their music and persona.

Also, times were changing and it has been rumored that many felt Zeppelin would be bigger in death than in life.
(haha, edit for GD phone correct)
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:

Nice attempt to act like you know something about music but you're way off the mark.

The correct answer is: all of them. No one could have been replaced without it degrading the music to a less than stellar level.
Macarthur
Who the hell is gonzo and Paige ?
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:

Nice attempt to act like you know something about music but you're way off the mark.

The correct answer is: all of them. No one could have been replaced without it degrading the music to a less than stellar level.

I just meant that, in particular reference to the drum sound, without those guys zeppelin would not have sounded the way they do, and their contribution was worth noting.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jimmy was the mastermind behind the drum miking.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When The Levee Breaks drum beat is masterful.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
When The Levee Breaks drum beat is masterful.

Best recorded drum track in the history of music. Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers just posted a video the other day of him playing that song in the exact spot where Bonzo recorded it.
TexasRebel
AG
Oh the humanity.
Professor Frick
AG
Yeah, Andy Johns did a fantastic job getting that sound.
Gyrene
AG
quote:
quote:

Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Jimmy was the mastermind behind the drum miking.

Right, that's why the particular two overhead technique is to this day commonly referred to as the Jimmy page method.
RGV AG
AG
^
TexasRebel
AG
You have to mic your drums.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
You have to mic your drums.

Good post.
Goodfield Nohit
A little bit off topic, but here are all 87 Led Zeppelin songs.

Take a stroll thru music history
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't entirely agree with the top 10 but nice to see Over The Hills get some love.
RGV AG
AG
That is an interesting order for their tunes. I can't say I agree with the top 10 either, although "Over the hills and far away" is one of my absolute favorite tunes. I am surprised that some of the more popular tunes were ranked as low as they were.
Professor Frick
AG
Is this a good time to re-derail this thread and ask what folks' favorite zep albums are? It doesn't get a whole lotta love, but houses of the holy is my favorite, followed by the super underrated III.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Physical Graffiti
Macarthur
For me, PG is their masterpiece, and that's saying something. As that article says, they put out 6 albums in about 6 years, that frankly, I don't think anyone touches, not even the Stones or Beatles. Houses is fantastic too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Houses of the Holy or IV.

But I and II are close behind, and PG and III closely behind those.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.