bsc mom common core rant

9,918 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 80s Guy
bmc13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Just so everyone knows, a 10.5 grader is what most districts refer to as 10R's. That R stands for Repeater.

BSC momma dun razed her a smrt won.

woooo I guessed correctly!
PastrySquirrel
Pretty much, Beer Baron.

People see 6 + 6 + 1 = 13 and scoff, thinking "Oh, that's so simple, why can't they just learn it the way we did or count it out?" Yes, that way worked for you, but that's no reason to assume it's the only way or even the best way to learn something. It's hilarious how everyone is an expert on elementary mathematics education simply by virtue of having been a student multiple decades ago. I haven't examined the Common Core at all, and I'd probably find things to disagree with if I did, but in general I'm going to assume that professional educators who have studied the mechanisms of learning know more about how to teach than Billy Sue selling real estate in Waxahachie with a B.A. in Kinesiology.
Post removed:
by user
EFE
AG
quote:
professional educators who have studied the mechanisms of learning know more

Lololololol..... Gasp! Lolololololol!!!!

Hardly. The bulk of "Teaching Literature" is written by folks who frogged out after a few years to pursue higher degrees to get out of the classroom and get a Cush AP/Counselor/Principal gig. That pathway requires lots of thesis writing that gets randomly picked up by the other administrators who are forced to write hack job pie in the sky strategies that gets told "either get results or get packing."
ajn142
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Use strategies such as counting on; making ten (e.g., 8 + 6 = 8 + 2 + 4 = 10 + 4 = 14); decomposing a number leading to a ten (e.g., 13 - 4 = 13 - 3 - 1 = 10 - 1 = 9); using the relationship between addition and subtraction (e.g., knowing that 8 + 4 = 12, one knows 12 - 8 = 4); and creating equivalent but easier or known sums (e.g., adding 6 + 7 by creating the known equivalent 6 + 6 + 1 = 12 + 1 = 13).

I guess it's just been awhile since I learned math but what is bad about this? What is the "old way" we're comparing to? Just basic memorization?

In first grade, it should be the basics. 13-4 = 9. If, at a later age, you want to try and expound upon that, once you know they've mastered the basics, fine. As I mentioned earlier, in the example I posted from Business Insider, once I had mastered the basics, their method is basically how I do it in my head. But, that's AFTER mastery, not while also trying to get them to understand the basics.
I'd say that being able to understand how subtraction works and use techniques like they listed is the basics. Everything else is memorization, which is great until you misremember something.
EFE
AG
Also, having dated a few different broads who were getting their masters from different institutions is where I'm gathering my anecdotal evidence. I would be asked to proof read their papers in exchange for snoo snoo and it was always really hard to not laugh at them and say "Really, this is what you're going to turn in?"
bmc13
AG
algebra 2 (lots of pure formula memorization) sucked

pre-cal and calculus where you were shown how to derive those formulas rocked
toucan82
I didn't read the entire OP but I'm pretty sure 4 out of her 5 kids having ADHD means that person sucks as a parent
EFE
AG
Probably vaccinated four of them and only breast fed one
PastrySquirrel
I'm sure all the people who wrote and vetted the Common Core were a bunch of heifers from the Valley trying to earn an extra $2k/year by muddling through a masters program.
rhoswen
AG
I don't really understand how actual, in - the - classroom Texas teachers are actually being told "nuh uh that's not how CC/TEKS works" by people in this thread.

I've only been teaching three weeks but no one has once told me "you have to teach dimensional analysis like this". I teach it my way, and if they're more comfortable doing it the way their biology teacher taught them, great. I don't care how you get to the right answer as long as you get there (and show your work).
PastrySquirrel
You mean you're not writing DOLs and LOs and performing an MRS every 7 minutes? MY GOD HOW ARE YOUR KIDS EVEN LEARNING?
rhoswen
AG
I don't even know what that is.

so. many. acronyms. It's like the gotdang military.
ajn142
AG
quote:
You mean you're not writing DOLs and LOs and performing an MRS every 7 minutes? MY GOD HOW ARE YOUR KIDS EVEN LEARNING?
rhoswen is getting married?
PastrySquirrel
you have no idea how funny that comment is, rhoswen
rhoswen
AG
I got married awhile ago.
ajn142
AG
Ehh, I don't keep track of these things.
rhoswen
AG
I didn't exactly alicia it up
toucan82
oh snap
bmc13
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Can someone please explain the following to me, preferably in very short sentences?

1. What is the common core? It's an attempt to create an even stupider methodology to teaching the youth of today, when going "back to basics" would be the best way to do things.
2. Are the pro- or anti- common core people the crazies? There are crazies on both sides. Pro CC folks are crazy for thinking the government can fix the problems they created in the first place. Also crazy for thinking there's some fancy, magical way of teaching a kid how to add numbers or subtract them. Some of the anti-CC folks are super-crazy in thinking it's some sort of conspiracy instead of the truth...just the sheer incompetence of lots of wanna-be do-gooders in administrative roles that wouldn't be able to teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

3. Why do people love/hate it? Love: Because it's "new" and "innovative", even if it has sh/ttastic results.

Hate: It's "new" and "innovative" with sh/ttastic results.

Common core speaks nothing for methodology. All it says is you must know at least A, B, and C. That is all of common core. There is nothing about how A, B, and C should be taught, just that each student must know at least A, B, and C. The teacher/district are welcome to expand on that.
This. Almost every new teaching strategy is part of a package of crap from companies like Pearson. CC is all about what students should know. From their site: http://www.corestandards.org/about-the-standards/frequently-asked-questions/

quote:
Do the standards tell teachers what to teach?Teachers know best about what works in the classroom. That is why these standards establish what students need to learn, but do not dictate how teachers should teach. Instead, schools and teachers decide how best to help students reach the standards.
80s Guy
quote:
I didn't exactly alicia it up

Congrats

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.